Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Acura TSX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I just wanted to share my problem with what happened today, the TSX just randomly cuts itself off. I cleaned the evaporator with Lubegard Kool-it as it was starting to smell. I inserted the cleaner by pulling out the A/C drain hose from the passenger side center console and into the evaporator box directly. I made sure the ECU didn't get wet, and when I emptied the whole bottle, nothing flowed out. Once I plugged the hose back in, the cleaner drained outside. Then after 15 minutes of setting the cleaner and another 15 minutes of running the car with the A/C on, it smelt better.

After an hour, I decided to drive the car. After making a right turn, the engine cut itself off for the first time. Center infotainment got the --.- MPG, and after that check emissions (engine light), oil light, VSA, and traction control lights were on, and the transmission indicator on the gauge turned off. Pulled over somewhere safe, turned off the car, placed it in park, started the car up again, and ran normally.

It stalled again right outside on an on-ramp. Same error lights, but noticed the gauge needles stay at the position after the engine has cut, and go back to zero. Pulled over and restarted the car.

It stalled once again after another right turn. I pulled over and restarted again, this time I drove with the windows up, and the radio off to hear what was going on. I noticed a whistling noise that I have never heard of. It's possibly a vacuum leak, not sure where it is coming from, but the noise disappears when I go up 2500 rpm.

TL;DR, I'm not sure if me cleaning the evaporator is related to my stalling issue, or it's just a random vacuum leak. I'll have to look at the car tomorrow.

·
Registered
2007 Acura TSX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So I test drove the car again, and the engine cut out on me twice, then it finally threw codes. I got a cheapo Walmart OBD2 scanner and I got P1116 and P0111. I'll try disconnecting the ground to clean some other grounds and check the coolant temperature sensor near the block.

·
Registered
2007 Acura TSX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I started to diagnose the bank 1 coolant temperature sensor. I was able to reach around the evap solenoid above it and unplugged the connector. I probed the harness wire with a multimeter, and I got about 5 millivolts which I think is okay. Then I probed the sensor itself with one side of the multimeter stuck to the battery ground. Not sure if I probed it correctly, but my multimeter read nothing. I cleaned out the chassis ground underneath the driver-side headlight as it was covered in dirt. I also cleaned both of the battery terminals. Then I left the battery disconnected for a while to reset the ECU.

After a couple of minutes, I drove my car to a shop to diagnose the issue. The engine cut itself out once, and it ran normally for a long time. Made right turns, no cut-outs.

The shop hooked up a scanner to my car and went on a test drive. After that, the tech told me that there wasn't anything wrong. The parameters were all normal, even the coolant temperatures were the same on both of the sensors. The tech told me that it could be my keys. I had a couple of other keys and a rubber key chain on my Acura keys. I removed them just in case that could've been the problem. He also suggested me to clean my throttle body. I did that a year ago, but it wouldn't hurt to do it again. I cautiously drove back home.

The next morning, I test drove my car while making a lot of right and left turns. The car doesn't shut itself down anymore. Did some pulls until it hit VTEC, no issues.

Looks like it was an ignition key issue?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds like maybe. I've seen that with other cars, usually women with lots of bling on the keychain.

If it was me, I'd probably replace the ignition switch just to be safe, but I drive 100+ to work so don't want to chance breakdowns.

·
Registered
2007 Acura TSX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
1 - 5 of 5 Posts