Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tittle kind of sums it up quite well lol So if i am running around and the tranny decides to keep the engine gear where it sits for 2-3 secs in 2.5k, i get this sudden metal clanking noise around the engine. Only around that 2k-3k rpms range. Its not very loud but its audible. I was going to inspect for loose catch pan or even loose catalictyc heat shield as sometimes it just something like that... but wanted to see if its common and you guys could tell me what it could be. It does not come up at any other scenario, when i floor the car, it runs just fine. Could say the noise happens sort of when the tranny is about to shift or so. Sort of like tranny hesitating? But the engine or tranny feel like they are jolting or having issues. Car runs smooth, just the noise. Its a 2009 TSX stock except for the 19" wheels just incase this might promote this issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well since nobody is really on top of the 2nd Gen topics I'd like to update this as well as I can.

From what I've researched, on many of the TL autos the rattling ping noise is a fairly common thing and it's due to the Torque Converter.
I think this would probably apply to our situation because our stock converters stall speed is somewhere around 2000-2500rpm, which would make sense since at 2500rpm the T/C locks and probably makes this noise after its broken in after the first 20k miles. It's possible that locking at this low of an rpm causes excessive stress since the power curve doesn't really put out enough to fully engage. Perhaps having the T/C built/upgraded to have a slightly higher stall speed might eliminate the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts