Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So I noticed this noise the other day and shut the down car as soon as I could. Been looking at youtube videos of different hondas to see if I could find something similar. I found one for an accord and it sounds very similar to a bad VTC actuator, except my noise doesn't leave on start up, it runs the whole time, and matches with the rev of the engine.

I'm guessing its the timing chain?

·
Registered
421 Posts
That doesn't sound like a VTC actuator issue to me. What's the mileage on your car? The chain and tensioner should be fine unless someone's beaten the living hell out of the car and ran it low on oil more than a few times.

Honestly, I'm not sure I hear anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't sound like a VTC actuator issue to me. What's the mileage on your car? The chain and tensioner should be fine unless someone's beaten the living hell out of the car and ran it low on oil more than a few times.

Honestly, I'm not sure I hear anything wrong with it.
It's got 230k. I drive mine like a granny. I've had to top it off with oil every so often but I haven't haven't ran it dangerously low. The oil level was definitely at a healthy level before this started a few days ago. It does sound distinctly different to me. Like a small air compressor running.

Shit, would a bad AC compressor sound like that?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Okay wow I'm dumb. Turned the AC off with the car running and the noise stopped. Bad compressor confirmed.

Can I run the car with the AC off until I can get a new unit? Not hearing any belt noise in this way. Just wondering if theres a danger of the pully on the compressor seizing or not.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If the compressor is off, it's mechanically disconnected from the pulley and will not turn. The only mechanical link between the compressor and pulley at that point is the pulley bearings. As long as the pulley is quiet and not loose it should be fine to run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.