Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I just picked up an 05 tsx with 155,000 miles on it. The previous owner has used 5w-30 conventional oil ever since he got the car until recently when he took it to a shop and they recommended him to change to 5w-20 for some odd reason.

My question is: Should I switch back to 5w-30? and I want to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic but would that be bad since the car is used to conventional? Also, what is the best conventional oil for high mileage cars like mine?

I also want to know what type of oil filter use and if you order from online then which website has the best price?

thanks

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I use conventional oil on my 06 tsx Since new. Now have 140k miles.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and either Mobil One or Honda filter, take a look on - Bob is the Oil Guy for a lot of information on oils, if you are at all interested by geeky info that site will have your attention for quite some time. There's no search function there, so you can copy/paste - filter tsx site:bobistheoilguy.com - into Google.

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
do not switch to 5w-20, keep 30

probably dont want to switch to synthetic at that high mileage since the car is used to conventional oil.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Never switch oil weight or brands for that matter. Oil actually gets into the metal and changing that make up could cause issues. If you do change to full syn (still use the 5W-30 weight) just change your oil quick. Like switch to full syn, then drive 5K and switch it again. Then you should be OK, but never keep switching.

Amsoil 5W-30 with Amsoil filter and change at 7k (love my baby)

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I got my 04 TSX with 140k miles I don't know what oil they used but I switched up to OEM filter + Mobil 1 Synthetic and it was all good from there.

·
Drive It Like U Stole It
249 Posts
hahaha thx justdugan for clarifying that ...i was like wtf also hahaha i use thiner oil in the winter and thicker 5w-20 in the summer 5w-30
(Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology Full Synthetic)
but im thinking about SWITCHING...Pson...Cough Cough*** switching to mobile 1

·
Registered
422 Posts
cafe regulations is what's causing a lot of manufacturers to recommend a lighter weight oil... your car did not automagically change overnight. my oil cap says 5w-30 and that's what i'm sticking too (i live in hawaii so i don't have to worry about winter).

i've used mobil1 3 times, castrol syntec 5 times, and pennzoil platinum twice - in that order with no issues at all whatsoever. i'll post my blackstone lab reports when i have more time one of these days...

·
Registered
874 Posts
i used mobile 1 5w- 30 and it caused sludge in my engine (52K) ....for high milage i spoke to a mechanic, he said buy Crappy oil 3qt, 1qt tranny fluid poor in drive for 1 week oil change again with high grade oil for high milage as it has more detergent in it so wont sludge and keeps the engine running nice, also seafoam a couple days before oil change should help too. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Please don't spew that misinformation around.
Clearly, you have never read or posted in Bob's the oil guy forum. Do some reading for your own good....

Short answer with more thing in play is the following....

If you have an older car which has a worn engine, it is best to stick to the same brand of oil. Changing to a new type of oil that has a high detergent content can clean out the carbon deposits that have built up and this can result in a loss of cylinder compression allowing oil into the combustion chamber to be burnt more quickly than is normal for your car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha didn't expect this much response. I'll probably be using castrol high mileage oil (previous owner used it so might as well keep it the same) but switching to 5w30 with oem filter.

kewlliljethro, nana is one of my favorites!!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I'm on 0w-30 amsoil signature series with pureone filter and thinkin bout keepin it in there for a year. how often do you change out yours? mines been in for almost 5 months and 5k miles and still golden brown
I am on the same signature series as well, but I got the car about a year ago. I travel a ton for work and still haven't passed 10K in it yet. So, I am changing mine often for at least three oil changes. Then I will stay 10K and 6 months due to the oil being used (amsoil is really great stuff), but I will always change at 6 months for I do not trust the filter. Plus in my case, I didn't know what the 1st owner used in the car (Dyno or Syn). These Honda/acura's have to much going inside that deals with oil. VTC filled with oil, timing chain being lubed by the same oil. It is far easier for me to change the oil often a few times to ensure the inside of the engine is clean with little varnish/sludge. Amsoil makes a great oil filter too and paired with the sign. series oil...you could go 12 months/15k depending on driving (city vs highway).

Reactions: kewlliljethro

·
Registered
56 Posts
Clearly, you have never read or posted in Bob's the oil guy forum. Do some reading for your own good....
I've stumbled over to BITOG from time to time, even recently finding several instances where different weight and brands are used and even encouraged.

"It seems that many engines work best with a multi-grade 30 weight / grade oils. Others would do better with a 20 grade oil and few would require a 40 grade oil. You can only determine what is best by experimenting. Admittedly I did not think my Ferrari Maranello would need a 20 grade oil. In truth I could actually have used a 10 grade oil. A 0W-10 would be good but it simply does not exist for normal use."

"Do not go 5,000 miles with the same oil if you are racing your car. You should change the oil every 1 or 2,000 miles. If you drive your car around town then you need to change the oil for that situation. Use racing oil on the track and urban oil around town. The best situation as described by Ferrari is to use the 0W-40 around town and the 10W-60 “racing oil” on the track. It has to be that “hot” track though. A compromise situation would be to use the 5W-40 for both but this may not be optimal. Certainly, if you are just an urban driver as me use the 0W-40 or even a thinner oil as I do in my Maranello. Again, I used the 0W-20 grade."

"I personally used 0W-20 Mobil 1 in the 575 Maranello and for the first oil change I drained the Murcielago’s (OEM) 5W-40 Agip and replaced it with 0W-30 Mobil 1. The engine became much quieter. A valve tappet noise disappeared. I then used the 5W-20 Red Line in the Lamborghini. Used oil analysis showed that this oil worked well for my non racetrack application. The same oil went into my Maybach 57. My Enzo Ferrari calls for the Shell Helix Ultra racing 10W-60 but I have used the Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30. This is different than the easy to find plain 0W-30 Syntec. It MUST say European Formula across the front of the label. I buy it at AutoZone stores but it is often mixed with the plain stuff. I am now using Renewable Lubricants Inc. (RLI) 0W-30 in the Enzo and 0W-20 RLI in the new Maybach 57s AMG.

You have to try by experimentation what operating oil grade your engine requires."

This is all taken from the Motor Oil 101-201 (although I skipped the mid-term and final exam..don't tell on me), and I can keep finding examples stressing the importance of experimentation to find what works best, IE switching brands and weights. I can keep going with pointing out more examples, but frankly I'd rather not waste anymore time on this.

So clearly, you've either misread or misinterpreted some information along the line. And if you have information stating the contrary I'd love to see it along with sources, as I am not here to bicker over who's right and who's wrong, but rather the passing of CORRECT information over the interwebs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.