Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a common TSX problem and the issue has been brought up in other threads but there has never been a stated solution/fix to this problem.

Six months ago, I started hearing a slight rattling sound from the engine when the vehicle was sitting at a stop light. Didn't think anything of it at first and just thought it was because it was really cold outside but it's gotten slightly worse since and still occurs even on warmer days.

The vehicle has an automatic transmission. The rattling only occurs while the vehicle is in Drive or Reverse and sitting at idle or extremely slow speeds (less than 5km/h). Once the vehicle starts moving, it goes away. There is no rattling when I shift into park or neutral. Other than that, the vehicle drives great. No problems whatsoever.

First dealership I brought it to 3 months ago told me that they thought it was a bearing and that I would need to replace my engine with a used engine. The foreman was out to lunch so I completed disregarded his diagnosis and went to another dealership for a second opinion. Second dealership said it definitely isn't the bearings but believes it could be the timing chain tensioner. They want $1,800 to replace the tensioner, guides, chain and vtc actuator but are honest and say they are not sure this fix will actually fix the problem. As I've researched through other threads and forums, many TSX owners have replaced the tensioner and still have the problem. It also isn't the engine mounts or exhaust manifold. It's definitely in the engine rattling on the passenger side and more closer to the oil pan.

Does anybody know the solution to this problem? Someone has to, it's very common!! Could it perhaps be the oil pump chain?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lately I noticed the same noise coming from my wife's 06 4cyl auto Accord (102k miles) I'm pretty upset with this because I baby the car and use full synthetic oil too. My 04 tsx has almost double the miles and I use a semi synthetic blend for my oil changes and it still runs flawless (6spd btw). I don't know if it has to do with the auto tranny but I suspect it to be an oil issue. On the first oil change on the accord I had very little to nothing in the oil filter (k&n). I've since been using mobile1 and no issues.
Now when starting her car it just didn't sound right and there is a slight rattle noise when idling. I checked the oil and it was past the full line on the dip stick so I'm going to do an oil change and check to see if the oil filter has any oil in it. Please excuse my rant but like I said earlier, I believe it has to do with an oil issue

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the same issue with my car and exactly as you have described yours.

It is somewhat of a known topic that K24's have tensioner problems and chain stretch issues.

I've had a noise for some time but it has just gotten worse within the month. Before I did anything I consulted with my buddy who works at Honda. He said it's a typical maintenance note to check at least the tensioner around 120k or K24s.

I figured it was def the tensioner but why not do chain, guides and tensioner at the same time. Threw it all in yesterday and the old chain was definitely stretched about 1/4 to 1/2 a link and it was definitely a bit quieter with all the new parts but the same noise still presented itself.

We broke out the stethoscope and tried to pin point the sound. I popped off the acc belt and the noise wasn't there, even in Drive gears but that was probably due to removing load from the situation.

Only thing it could be now is the oil pump tensioner or chain but sucks because I have to take the timing cover off again if it is the oil pump chain.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's slow in here Matt. :sleep:

I was going to mention to you about using a stethoscope but you were already on it.

I believe I've only seen this noise issue on automatics btw.
hello Friend! :eek:hsnap:

Yea it is very slow, I have a thread up on HT as well, which that sub forum is also slow.

Yea from what I've seen it apparently is although I'm pretty sure it's nothing in the trans.

My Accessory belt tensioner is still under warranty since it is only 8 months old, I am going to pop that off this weekend and go get another one to see if that helps, since it is so easy and technically free now. I kind of always wondered if it were causing the noise but figured I'd look at all other possibilities.

I also have a balance shaft tensioner coming too, just want to drop the oil pan and check things out, if that's letting the chain flop around I'll replace it. Hope the other guide and chain are ok because I don't feel like taking the timing cover off again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yea it is very slow, I have a thread up on HT as well, which that sub forum is also slow.

Yea from what I've seen it apparently is although I'm pretty sure it's nothing in the trans.

My Accessory belt tensioner is still under warranty since it is only 8 months old, I am going to pop that off this weekend and go get another one to see if that helps, since it is so easy and technically free now. I kind of always wondered if it were causing the noise but figured I'd look at all other possibilities.

I also have a balance shaft tensioner coming too, just want to drop the oil pan and check things out, if that's letting the chain flop around I'll replace it. Hope the other guide and chain are ok because I don't feel like taking the timing cover off again.
I doubt it's the acc belt tensioner. I've taken off the acc belt and still the same problem. I haven't done anything to resolve my issue yet, just hoping someone that's had the problem before and fixed it finally replies. Let me know what you find out after dropping the oil pan. Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've had some rattle multiple times now caused by the tensioner only idling. Look at the tensioner and see if it moves around (the arrow). You'll find my post somewhere about it. I've replaced the tensioner two times now for rattling at idle.

·
Registered
375 Posts

All man dropping the oil pan.....is not fun. You can snake it out if you remove the front mount and passenger mount. You then need to loosen the subframe bolts. I removed the front two bolts but only loosen the rear two bolts. Then I used a big pry bar to fish it out. Also I lifted the engine from the rear with a jack and big ass piece of wood. The helms manual steps seem impossible to remove the oil pan in the way they recommend.

Also after I put my head back on and had everything timed correctly. I turned the motor over by hand and kept hearing a clicking noise in the valve train or so I thought......so after removing the timing cover and looking around. Eventually I found one of my plastic chain guides wasn't clipped into the metal frame, causing the chain to skip.

It could be something that silly that will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had some rattle multiple times now caused by the tensioner only idling. Look at the tensioner and see if it moves around (the arrow). You'll find my post somewhere about it. I've replaced the tensioner two times now for rattling at idle.
Which tensioner are you talking about?

acc belt? timing chain? oil pump?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I doubt it's the acc belt tensioner. I've taken off the acc belt and still the same problem. I haven't done anything to resolve my issue yet, just hoping someone that's had the problem before and fixed it finally replies. Let me know what you find out after dropping the oil pan. Thanks!
Yea but at this point, anything is worth looking into. But I put the new accessory belt auto tensioner on and no change. At least I know that its' definitely not the issue.

Plan to drop the pan tomorrow night at my buddies shop.

Glad it was the case for your issue but it isn't mine, with a new auto tensioner on it still makes the noise.

All man dropping the oil pan.....is not fun. You can snake it out if you remove the front mount and passenger mount. You then need to loosen the subframe bolts. I removed the front two bolts but only loosen the rear two bolts. Then I used a big pry bar to fish it out. Also I lifted the engine from the rear with a jack and big ass piece of wood. The helms manual steps seem impossible to remove the oil pan in the way they recommend.

Also after I put my head back on and had everything timed correctly. I turned the motor over by hand and kept hearing a clicking noise in the valve train or so I thought......so after removing the timing cover and looking around. Eventually I found one of my plastic chain guides wasn't clipped into the metal frame, causing the chain to skip.

It could be something that silly that will drive you nuts.
I figured it was but at this point, all the silly things should have been covered. Luckily I'm going to take the car up my buddies shop so it will be much easier on a lift and with every tool possible. I can't imagine doing it on the ground at home, F THAT LoL.

I have the balance shaft tensioner and plan to put that on if needed. I am hoping the other guide and chain are fine because if not, I have to pull the timing cover again, which wasn't that bad but still takes time.

Which tensioner are you talking about?

acc belt? timing chain? oil pump?
Seems like he means the belt tensioner, at least just how I took it because it's the only one with a arrow on it and that you can see without removing timing cover.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well I am happy to say I fixed my issue last night and hopefully can provide some help/insight for others with similar issue.

The balance shaft tensioner failed, the plastic guide portion broke in half and was no longer putting tension on the chain, causing it to flop around.

I'm glad it didn't jump timing or the chain didn't fly off.

As GoForBroke mentioned, I didn't realize how terrible the oil pan would be to drop, why the hell couldn't they engineer it a little better to drop right out.
Luckily I went to my buddies shop and we just unbolted the pass side mount and the front mount. Put the car on the lift and used 2 screw jacks to jack the motor up so we could clearly drop the pan out.

Reactions: CalgaryTSX

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well I am happy to say I fixed my issue last night and hopefully can provide some help/insight for others with similar issue.

The balance shaft tensioner failed, the plastic guide portion broke in half and was no longer putting tension on the chain, causing it to flop around.

As GoForBroke mentioned, I didn't realize how terrible the oil pan would be to drop, why the hell couldn't they engineer it a little better to drop right out.
Luckily I went to my buddies shop and we just unbolted the pass side mount and the front mount. Put the car on the lift and used 2 screw jacks to jack the motor up so we could clearly drop the pan out.
I'm glad you figured it out! I guess that's just a freak accident the tensioner broke like that. Kind of crazy how it never jumping timing, that could of been catastrophic.

At least you got to share my pain with the oil pan removal...lol
Doing in my garage with a floor jack sucked...I need a lift.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thank you so much for posting how fixed your problem!!! I'm going to assume that my balance shaft tensioner has failed since we have the exact same issue. So did you replace the tensioner, guides and oil pump chain?? Unfortunately I'm not as fortunate as you to have a buddy with a shop and be as mechanically savvy so I have to bring mine to the dealership to get replaced. Just not sure if I should get the timing chain and tensioner replaced as well just in case those are the a problem on my car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm glad you figured it out! I guess that's just a freak accident the tensioner broke like that. Kind of crazy how it never jumping timing, that could of been catastrophic.

At least you got to share my pain with the oil pan removal...lol
Doing in my garage with a floor jack sucked...I need a lift.
Yea I am amazed that the broken portion of the tensioner guide stayed attached and didn't fly around and that it didn't jump timing. Would have been great, BOOM! But I guess I got lucky. From tracking the noise becoming worse, it was over an 8 month span, so I guess at this point I was on borrowed time for sure.

I would have never got that done on the ground, LOL! FFFFF THAT!

Thank you so much for posting how fixed your problem!!! I'm going to assume that my balance shaft tensioner has failed since we have the exact same issue. So did you replace the tensioner, guides and oil pump chain?? Unfortunately I'm not as fortunate as you to have a buddy with a shop and be as mechanically savvy so I have to bring mine to the dealership to get replaced. Just not sure if I should get the timing chain and tensioner replaced as well just in case those are the a problem on my car.
Yea it seems like it, just unbolt the oil pan and it'll drop down enough where you can check the oil pump chain and tensioner to see if you need to replace any of those components, or just do timing chain and everything all at once and be done with it.

I just did the oil pump tensioner, chain and guides were ok and to replace the 2 later mentioned I would have had to pull the timing cover again. The oil pump chain shouldn't really stretch like a timing chain could, it would have been better to do the chain and guide but like I said, I didn't feel the need to.

The Oil pump tensioner called for 2.7 hours according to AllData, so figure around $400 or so at a dealer with parts and labor.

I believe the timing chain called for 5 hours and at cost, parts were $280, so that would be around $800 or so at a dealer.

Unfortunately timing chain problems are way too common on these K-Series motors. It's such a costly and time consuming process, I'm really not looking forward to do mine.

They really are and it sucks but I'm glad to have piece of mind now and a fresh 125k motor ahaha.

It really wasn't bad at all, took about 5 hours and that was messing around, eating and chilling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea it seems like it, just unbolt the oil pan and it'll drop down enough where you can check the oil pump chain and tensioner to see if you need to replace any of those components, or just do timing chain and everything all at once and be done with it.

I just did the oil pump tensioner, chain and guides were ok and to replace the 2 later mentioned I would have had to pull the timing cover again. The oil pump chain shouldn't really stretch like a timing chain could, it would have been better to do the chain and guide but like I said, I didn't feel the need to.

The Oil pump tensioner called for 2.7 hours according to AllData, so figure around $400 or so at a dealer with parts and labor.

I believe the timing chain called for 5 hours and at cost, parts were $280, so that would be around $800 or so at a dealer.
Unfortunately, I live in Canada where it's much more expensive. Acura dealership here charges $140/hr. I previously got quoted timing chain, guides, tensioner and vtc actuator all for $1,800 CAD for parts/labour. :(

1 - 20 of 48 Posts