Acura TSX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Unfortunately, I live in Canada where it's much more expensive. Acura dealership here charges $140/hr. I previously got quoted timing chain, guides, tensioner and vtc actuator all for $1,800 CAD for parts/labour. :(
Yikes, that is awful and not worth it, maybe find someone to do side work for you?

I doubt you need the VTC cam gear, that could drop the price down a bit.

· Registered
413 Posts
Yikes, that is awful and not worth it, maybe find someone to do side work for you?

I doubt you need the VTC cam gear, that could drop the price down a bit.
I feel like it was a good idea to do that VTC for a peace of mind on an old car. Those VTC actuators, according to my dealer, go bad like crazy on Hondas and Acuras alike up to 2011 models. It really sucks that these components are prone to failure. Makes me scared to take my car up in additional mileage without replacing these.

· Registered
91 Posts
I feel like it was a good idea to do that VTC for a peace of mind on an old car. Those VTC actuators, according to my dealer, go bad like crazy on Hondas and Acuras alike up to 2011 models. It really sucks that these components are prone to failure. Makes me scared to take my car up in additional mileage without replacing these.
I feel funny saying this because people told me the same about my oil pump tensioner but those VTC gears rarely go bad from my experience, there was a batch of K24 Accord's in a few later years that apparently had a rattle but I can't remember the specifics.

If it's off and you want to do it, go for it, I didn't feel the need to when I had everything apart. Just me though.

I am at 124k now and since I have just dumped tons of time and money into the car, I plan to keep it a few more years as it should be good to keep rolling.

I'm actually trying to source a new bumper, when I picked my TSX up a few years back, the previous owner already had it dinged up, so since I am keeping it a new bumper and A-Spec Lip are coming soon.

· Registered
2 Posts
I am also having issues with the rattling noises and my oil is being burned up fairly quickly also. Does anyone know where I can find a video that can show me how to replace the VTC Actuator and or check the Timing Chain. I have an acura tsx 09.

· Registered
91 Posts
I am also having issues with the rattling noises and my oil is being burned up fairly quickly also. Does anyone know where I can find a video that can show me how to replace the VTC Actuator and or check the Timing Chain. I have an acura tsx 09.
09 is a different body style but still a K24.

Don't want to come off rude here but if you have to ask how to do that, you should probably take the car to a mechanic.

It's not an impossible task however one best reserved for someone that is mechanically inclined.

Just look it up on YouTube if you need a video.

To check the vtc gear just pull the Valve Cover and see, although it will be tough to check the chain without fully pulling the timing cover.

· Registered
2 Posts
no worries, you don't sound rude at all it was probably the best advice I could have gotten. I am okay when it comes to doing the some mechanical work myself. I just need to see it first sometimes for tips and ect. I most likely would not touch the chain as it is a much tougher task. But the VTC I feel like I would be able to change. I tried on youtube but it only pulls up videos of the actually problem and the noise the car makes.

· Registered
91 Posts
no worries, you don't sound rude at all it was probably the best advice I could have gotten. I am okay when it comes to doing the some mechanical work myself. I just need to see it first sometimes for tips and ect. I most likely would not touch the chain as it is a much tougher task. But the VTC I feel like I would be able to change. I tried on youtube but it only pulls up videos of the actually problem and the noise the car makes.
ok good!

You would have to take the chain off to remove/change the VTC gear.

You can try looking up "K24 Timing Chain", etc that could help.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
OP, did you have time to look into your issue or at least drop the oil pan down a bit?
I'm having a really difficult time getting someone who actually even knows what a balance shaft chain tensioner is.

Last week, I call my local Acura dealership to ask for a quote. Adviser tells me it's 2 hours labour plus the part which is about $370 CDN total. I think this is great because this is much cheaper than the original $1,800 they wanted for their original timing chain and tensioner diagnosis. I book the vehicle for the earliest appointment available which was yesterday.

So yesterday I bring in my vehicle and get the typical service adviser who's overpaid and knows barely anything about cars. I had to repeatedly tell him that a balance shaft chain tensioner is not the same as the timing chain tensioner. I also told him that people with my exact problem have replaced the timing chain and tensioner which has not fixed the issue so I'm not going to do their original recommendation. After finally getting this through to the idiot and showing him a diagram with part number, he tells me that it's going to take way longer than the 2 hours I was quoted (They don't know who originally quoted me on the phone). Adviser tells me he's reluctant to do what I want because it's a self-diagnosis so he wants to talk to the foreman about it. I leave my car with them and wait for their call. Adviser calls me back and says they're going to diagnose my car again for free before they do any work. Takes them all damn day to finally look at my car and when I go pick up the vehicle, their diagnosis is possible timing chain stretch and tensioner....AGAIN!! when I already told them that's not it! Nobody at the shop, including the foreman even knows what a balance shaft chain and tensioner is!!! Definitely don't' want this dealership touching my car again. Super frustrating talking to these guys.

I call the only other local Acura dealership in my city for a quote. First adviser I speak to is a girl who absolutely doesn't know what I'm talking about. I don't even think she knew what an oil pump was. Second adviser I speak to seemed knowledgeable and knows exactly what I'm talking about but says in his 20 years in the industry, he has never heard of someone having to change this part. I completely understand and know it's rare. He goes ahead and quotes me for 3hrs of labor and part. This dealership seems to charge more for labor and parts but I'm contemplating on bringing it to them.

Today I go to a small mechanic shop I've been going to for the past 10 years. They specialize in Honda's and Acura's. I trust him and his son with my vehicles but haven't been going there lately because I've been doing all of my own maintenance. I explain to them my problem and they both admit they've never had this issue or had to change a balance shaft chain or tensioner before but they understand and know that it's different than the timing chain/tensioner. They don't really know how to go about doing what I want yet but say that dropping the oil pan alone will take 2hrs. They were really busy so they asked me to come back on Monday to discuss the issue more thoroughly to find a solution. Will have to wait until then..

mattb16teg - To change the tensioner, do you have to fully drop the oil pan and just lower it enough to change it?

· Registered
91 Posts
Well now it's tough, it COULD as well be your timing chain and tensioner. Don't just use my experiences to directly diagnose your issues. It could well likely be the timing chain and tensioner on your car. I would have them check it, they can check the tensioner through a little service window on the timing cover.
I would be worried if they didn't know this themselves, maybe advise your local mechanic that this can be done. That way they can see if the tensioner is all the way out and most likely needs to be replaced.

According to ALLDATA, replacing the oil pump tensioner is a 2 hour job, so 3 hours is also acceptable in my mind, don't let them mark it up on you.

Well yes and no, you can drop it to check the BS tensioner enough to see if it needs to be replaced however in order to properly change the BS tensioner, clean the block surface and oil pan surface enough to re-seal it, it needs to be dropped out to do this correctly.

Again, I was advised by several knowledgeable friends that this wouldn't be my failure as well, shit always happens so don't let that deter you.

· Registered
91 Posts
How many miles are on your car?

I know it's pretty common advice from Honda to at least have Timing chain and tensioner checked at around 120k. FYI

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well now it's tough, it COULD as well be your timing chain and tensioner. Don't just use my experiences to directly diagnose your issues. It could well likely be the timing chain and tensioner on your car. I would have them check it, they can check the tensioner through a little service window on the timing cover.
I would be worried if they didn't know this themselves, maybe advise your local mechanic that this can be done. That way they can see if the tensioner is all the way out and most likely needs to be replaced.

According to ALLDATA, replacing the oil pump tensioner is a 2 hour job, so 3 hours is also acceptable in my mind, don't let them mark it up on you.

Well yes and no, you can drop it to check the BS tensioner enough to see if it needs to be replaced however in order to properly change the BS tensioner, clean the block surface and oil pan surface enough to re-seal it, it needs to be dropped out to do this correctly.

Again, I was advised by several knowledgeable friends that this wouldn't be my failure as well, shit always happens so don't let that deter you.
I highly doubt it's the timing chain and tensioner. From all of the other information posted online and people with the exact same problem, none of them have been able to fix the issue with changing these parts. While you and someone else on another forum have changed the oil pump tensioner, it has fixed it. I have also met someone in my city with the exact same issue on their TSX. They changed their timing chain and tensioner by recommendation of the dealership and it still isn't fixed. If it was the timing chain, it wouldn't only rattle while the vehicle was in gear during idle, it would be rattling constantly at all times during low idle (possibly even high) and a CEL should be on in my opinion.

How many miles are on your car?

I know it's pretty common advice from Honda to at least have Timing chain and tensioner checked at around 120k. FYI
In Canada we go by kilometers but converting it to miles, I have 90k on my car. Issue started at about 78k.

· Registered
91 Posts
Again, it's worth looking into anyway, just to be same.

Well remember, the Timing chain and BS chain both spin constantly so either would make noise but that all depends on load and how much slack the chain has, so it's all subjective to how much "noise" it can make. You are right about it throwing a CEL if it is stretched a good bit.

That's not a lot of mileage for the car but if it's been doing it for 12k miles and it is the BS tensioner you are on borrowed time so I'd get it done sooner than later. Could cause a lot more issues if you keep letting it go.

Mine deteriorated in around the span of 6 months or so, probably wouldn't have held in there much longer.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Again, it's worth looking into anyway, just to be same.

Well remember, the Timing chain and BS chain both spin constantly so either would make noise but that all depends on load and how much slack the chain has, so it's all subjective to how much "noise" it can make. You are right about it throwing a CEL if it is stretched a good bit.

That's not a lot of mileage for the car but if it's been doing it for 12k miles and it is the BS tensioner you are on borrowed time so I'd get it done sooner than later. Could cause a lot more issues if you keep letting it go.

Mine deteriorated in around the span of 6 months or so, probably wouldn't have held in there much longer.
My local mechanic is going to do the job for me next Tuesday. So glad he was actually willing to to sit down and listen to me explain the problem and discuss the research I've done, unlike the stupid Acura dealership advisers who think they know everything. Will report back after the job is complete to let everyone know the outcome. *fingers crossed*

· Registered
91 Posts
My local mechanic is going to do the job for me next Tuesday. So glad he was actually willing to to sit down and listen to me explain the problem and discuss the research I've done, unlike the stupid Acura dealership advisers who think they know everything. Will report back after the job is complete to let everyone know the outcome. *fingers crossed*
Cool, keep us posted, I got the BS Tensioner off Amazon for like $85 or so I believe.

Make sure he completely pulls the pan and cleans it well. Mine had some weird gunk in the bottom of the inside but a run through the parts washer and it was all clean and pretty.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I am glad to share that I had my balance shaft tensioner replaced today and it has also fixed my rattling issue. Tensioner was completely broken as shown in attached photo. Mechanic told me oil pump chain actually wasn't all that loose so I didn't have to worry too much about it jumping, more of an annoyance if anything but I'm so happy I don't have to deal with that anymore. Also glad I didn't go with the stupid Acura dealerships diagnosis of replacing the timing chain and tensioner, that would've been $1800 gone to waste.

Big thanks to mattb16teg again for sharing his fix. Hopefully this thread helps others with the same issue in the future.

· Registered
91 Posts
Glad to see you have fixed your issue!

Was the guide portion in the oil pan or did it break once you removed it?

I think I need to get some new mounts now, it's always something with these old cars hhahha.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Glad to see you have fixed your issue!

Was the guide portion in the oil pan or did it break once you removed it?

I think I need to get some new mounts now, it's always something with these old cars hhahha.
I think it was already broken before removing it.

I'm off to get my rear sway bar bushings replaced tomorrow haha

· Registered
12 Posts
awesome...

I know this is old but you guys may have just found the issue with my car! I love this community.
At least now I have somewhere to start.

I originally went into my dealership for a transmission fluid change and asked them to take a look at the rattling sound.

They initially said it was the belt tensioner and catalytic converter heat shield that was loose so I had both done (heat shield was clamped together and that cost me over $200... crooks), total was over $700.

Drive off and not more than 5 minutes later the sound is back (it usually started to rattle after the car was warmed up a bit in gear).

Took the car back to the dealership the next day and demanded them to figure out the issue as my money had now gone to waste. They eventually said it was a timing chain guide and that replacing that would cost upwards to $2000. At this point, I knew they were just out to rob me blind. I refused the service and have since been researching to see if that was indeed what it could have been.

Just as reference, mine is a 07 AT with a little over 120K miles on it. It's about time that these things need to be checked but I wasn't about to pay $2000 for something from people who already misdiagnosed before.

Anyone know what might cause these components to break? Wrong motor oil weight maybe, or just wear and tear?

· Registered
91 Posts
Lucky I am still subscribed to this thread, I have since parted ways with my TSX since I got a great deal for it and picked up a Focus ST3.

Holy crap $700 for that work, you could have torn the heat shield off for free and replaced the belt tensioner in about an hour for $60 or so.

For what they are saying you are basically paying for labor, it's an involved job but maybe press them more to diagnose it with a stethoscope to ensure it's that and nothing with the balance shaft tensioner(oil pump tensioner). That ultimately was what my issue was, luckily I just paid for parts and some beers for my buddy to lend me a hand.

There is a small window on the timing cover they could open to check chain tension but other then by sound it'll be tough to fully diagnose without some labor in pulling things off.

If you plan to keep the car for a long long time, it may be worth it, if not either find an alternative to get the work done or sell it.

Tough to tell why, could have been low oil levels, running oil life out too long or just the luck of the draw.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts