Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, a few TSXclub members were discussing on setting up a Autocross meet. There is usually a autocross event in Irvine, CA (El Toro Airfield) and the next one is tomorrow, and obviously that's not enough time for people to prepare their cars. So I think it is best if we attend the one on August.
Saturday, August 4, 2012 (Practice)
Saturday, August 5, 2012

VERY IMPORTANT - As with any venue, we want to make a good impression on our landlords. With that in mind, please use the receptacles for your trash and do not leave trash anywhere on site. Also, have respect for the neighbors and drive carefully both inside and outside the site.
Times:
7:00 - Tech/Registration Opens
8:30 - Course closes for walking
8:30 - Mandatory Novice Safety Meeting. Tech/Registration closes
8:45 - First group workers check-in; all others are invited to pre-grid.
9:00 - First car out Safety: Held under the SCCA Solo Rules and the CSCC Solo Supplemental Regulations. Helmets must conform to Snell 2000 or newer. Some loaner helmets will be available. No alcohol or other intoxicants may be used by anyone on the event site. Speed limits - Paddock 5 MPH; Access road 25 MPH PLEASE USE CAUTION at all times while on site. Special Rules: Competitors under 18 years old MUST have a waiver signed by BOTH parents. Waiver forms are available at SCCA.com Closed exhaust - 100db @ 50' noise standard. Event officials reserve the right to make changes as needed without further notice.
An SCCA membership is required. $15 SCCA Weekend memberships are available and can be purchased the morning of the event.
Fees: Adults - $55
Split Entry - $65 (two drivers sharing the same car, one set of runs, and one normal work assignment)
Kids - $10
So basically its going to cost 70 dollars if you don't have SCCA membership. Also, you will need a helmet, which you can rent at the autocross.

Autocross is an extremely inexpensive and safe way to participate in competitive motorsports. In general, any safe, street legal vehicle can compete without any significant modifications (although heavily modified vehicles may be at a disadvantage due to the rules structure -- a heavily prepared, supercharged drag racer is unlikely to make a good and competitive autocross car.)

Autocross and Solo II events are "Time Trial" style competitions; there is no wheel to wheel racing involved, as cars are sent out one at a time, or at least spaced out so that they should not come into any contact with each other. These events are derived from the original Gymkhana competitions from 50s and 60s. Today, an event called a Gymkhana is usually a "fun" event, with slow speeds and silly tricks. An event called an Autocross or Solo II is usually a serious competition, with speeds perhaps as much as 70mph in large lots or on airport runways.

In general, a course is laid out using traffic cones; time penalties will charged for disturbing cones. For most clubs the penalty is 2 seconds per cone, although for some it may be 1 second.
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_hGplDLnCsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If we get enough people then I will organize a group event and hopefully receive group discounts.

Attending:
1. Kevin

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Mother effin YES

Attending:
1. Kevin
2. cYn

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Bump it guys.

From the vast amount of info I've read so far, autocross is a lot less stressing to the car since it's not as big as a race track. This means that pre and post maintenance is at a minimum. I know I have been hesitant about going to the track before due to the amount of preparation.

·
DiRTBAG Jose!
1,306 Posts
+1 with thomas :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts