Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just had an Exedy Stage 1 clutch and lightweight flywheel installed. Still in the break in process.
I have noticed that I now have this chatter/rattle noise when accelerating, more noticeably around 2.5-3K RPM. This happens only when I'm in gear. If I let go the gas pedal or rev it in neutral, no noise. Everything else seems fine.
I have been told this is normal for sport clutches, but given this is only a stage 1 and should be close to OEM, I'm not really convinced.
What do you think? Anyone with this clutch/flywheel experienced the same noise?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just curious, what is the flywheel material? And that's the pieces designed for the RSX Type S, right?

Chatter of some type is not uncommon to have. On previous builds I had a fidanza/exedy full face organic/sprung hub setup and there was chatter, and engaging at really low rpms would have a somewhat lazy buck when the clutch engaged. That's the sprung hub.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your inputs. According to Exedy, the material is chromoly (part# HF02). It's more like a metallic rattle. I recorded a video today, it's actually louder than it sounds in the video. It's more noticeable when windows are up, car is basically stock other than the CT intake which is not loud at all. It was installed by a reputable shop, I'm not sure what could have been done wrong.

TSX :: 101012_zpsbe373c57.mp4 video by amdj - Photobucket

·
Registered
604 Posts
Oh, you're getting the noise while in gear? I thought you were meaning while in neutral and the motor was idling.

Did they reuse the flywheel bolts?

·
Registered
976 Posts
That sounds pretty bad.. I've never heard that after a clutch install. My exedy stage 2 didn't even sound like that after installation. It should sound the same as when it was stock.. is the noise happening while your pressing the gas??

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes only when in gear and pressing the gas. The chatter is gone when I don't press the gas or in neutral. I'm not sure if they reuse the flywheel bolts, it was installed by Excelerate.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
This isnt really a race car so re-using the flywheel bolts is fine unless the wheel was warped (heat torture) which then the bolts could be weakened.

Just some random possibilities are the pressure plate was not installed correctly or the clutch plate was not centered. I would stop driving the car and have the shop open it up because if it was not installed correctly the clutch will just break apart inside the bell housing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just put this exedy light waight flywheel in my 2004 tsx and I have almost the same noise on accelaration. I talked to exedy tec support about the noise and they said it might be normal. I did the install my self and I am an Audi tech. Dose any one else have one of these rsx flywheels in there cars. My car has 127k on it as we'll. I have to say iam not to happy about the noise it makes.

·
-
1,624 Posts
IMO, when you lug (accelerate at low rpm like the guy in the video) an aftermarket clutch, noise is normal since the low rpm harmonics from the engine are amplified thru the transmission.

The greater amplification is from the stronger springs in the clutch pressure plate (hub).
It's a trade off with a performance clutch. You should try driving a car with a solid hub clutch. :shock:

The only solution with my older 5.0L Mustang and Dodge Cummins with aftermarket clutches is to not lug them.
They are quieter with the RPM's kept higher.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I never heard that with my previous exedy clutches.. maybe if you're at low rpm and in a high gear you would hear something similar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
iam ready to swap out the exedy 8.9 lb flywheel it just makes so much noise. or just get an exhaust.I dont min some noise but dame i can here every bearing and the wine it makes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
stock flywheel with exedy clutch

Can I use the stock tsx flywheel with the exedy stage 1 clutch? Im not a racer. Just want something a little better than stock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts