Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys is this a good priced Exedy stage 1 clutch kit? and is the flywheel a good match?

·
Registered
703 Posts
10.25 lbs is a tad light for a daily imo. Depends on your expectations. I have a 12 lb Competition Clutch FW on my car and it's great - although sometimes I wish it was a tad heavier and I never wish it was lighter.

Exedy makes a quality clutch. They make the clutches for many OEMs. Many TSX/k series guys have run that clutch and it has good feedback. I went with a Competition Clutch stage 1.5 with the matching fw on mine, CC also makes a great product and would be similarly priced.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have not read anything bad about exedy stage 1 kits in this forum, but if you check out the s2000 forums or many of the Toyota forums you will find lots of documentation regarding premature and catastrophic failure. I myself have experienced a premature failure in my MR2 with an exedy stage 2, under 15k miles. Most commonly the spring housing cracks and either the broken pieces or the escaped spring itself wedges itself somewhere and permanently engages your clutch for you. Unfortunate as I used to be a big fan of exedy clutches.

On another note, counterfeit exedy clutches are rampant these days, I would not trust one from eBay. I am also leery of the F1/FX flywheels, or any "eBay special" brand. No idea where they are made and how good the quality control is.

Like TSXXX above, I also have the Comp Clutch 1.5 kit with 12lb flywheel and I'm extremely satisfied with it. Same as TSXXX, I wouldn't mind the flywheel being a touch heavier for a street car, and definitely wouldn't want it to be any lighter.

·
Mike V
74 Posts
I have the Exedy HF02 8.9lb Flywheel combined with the Exedy Stage 1 Clutch and a Honda 01-05 Civic Clutch Master w/ Slave Cylinder. I can tell you from driving it about 30,000 miles that, its awesome!! I wish the car would have came factory like this IMO. I daily drive my car to school and work and wherever else i may need to go. I noticed my gas mileage has increased about 4-7 mpg and the car is A LOT more responsive and fun to drive. If you dont like it to be responsive then yes get a heavier flywheel because the car always wants to go and it is a little more work trying to maintain an average set speed without the cruise control.

Mike V.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The clutch master and slave cylinder swap mv1luv mentioned above is also worth doing. I have done this too and feel it is a requirement for the spirited driver, especially if you upgrade your clutch and flywheel. Direct control is everything. Also, don't forget to buy some Honda urea grease and lube up all the places you should... Throwout bearing, pivot fork, etc. There is a pretty decent thread in here about removing the trans from the top without dropping the subframe, with pictures, including the points that should be greased.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any thoughts as to how would an Exedy stage 1 + Civic master/slave would do as a daily driver? Reason I ask is that my wife has to drive my TSX sometimes and she already doesn't like how it clutches (maybe more to do with TBW).

How about Exedy stock clutch + civic master/slave?

·
Registered
174 Posts
@merlinj79
Switching to the Civic master/slave rids you of check valves and dampers, allowing the driver precise control of the clutch. It really depends on what your wife already dislikes about the current setup. With the dampers and check valves in place, there isn't a solid point of engagement or disengagement of the clutch on the pedal, it's more like a time, there is a delay. The purpose is to make regular shifting smoother with less effort, but for those of us looking to shift quickly and precisely it's annoying. I would think a lightened flywheel with stock master/slave would make it all the more annoying. It kinda sounds like she might be hunting for an engagement point that isn't there.

Regarding the exedy clutches, I've not experienced one in this car, so can't attest to how they feel. I know the comp clutch 1.5 can hold it's own, if I could change anything about it I would reduce the pedal effort required, it's not unbearable but can get tiring in heavy traffic.
Regarding the DBW, you can take some slack out of the throttle cable that goes to the APP sensor to improve accelerator pedal response. An ECU reflash will help even more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
@merlinj79
Switching to the Civic master/slave rids you of check valves and dampers, allowing the driver precise control of the clutch. It really depends on what your wife already dislikes about the current setup. With the dampers and check valves in place, there isn't a solid point of engagement or disengagement of the clutch on the pedal, it's more like a time, there is a delay. The purpose is to make regular shifting smoother with less effort, but for those of us looking to shift quickly and precisely it's annoying. I would think a lightened flywheel with stock master/slave would make it all the more annoying. It kinda sounds like she might be hunting for an engagement point that isn't there.

Regarding the exedy clutches, I've not experienced one in this car, so can't attest to how they feel. I know the comp clutch 1.5 can hold it's own, if I could change anything about it I would reduce the pedal effort required, it's not unbearable but can get tiring in heavy traffic.
Regarding the DBW, you can take some slack out of the throttle cable that goes to the APP sensor to improve accelerator pedal response. An ECU reflash will help even more.
Thanks, that helps.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Any thoughts as to how would an Exedy stage 1 + Civic master/slave would do as a daily driver? Reason I ask is that my wife has to drive my TSX sometimes and she already doesn't like how it clutches (maybe more to do with TBW).

How about Exedy stock clutch + civic master/slave?
Honestly if she doesn't like the pedal effort it takes now the don't go up to a stage 1. It isn't bad at all, but if she's already complaining I wouldn't recommend as it definitely is a little heavier than stock.

EM2 OEM Civic master/OEM TSX slave is the way to go. Don't waste time with ktuned garbage or Exedy's lower end line. It's junk.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Honestly if she doesn't like the pedal effort it takes now the don't go up to a stage 1. It isn't bad at all, but if she's already complaining I wouldn't recommend as it definitely is a little heavier than stock.

EM2 OEM Civic master/OEM TSX slave is the way to go. Don't waste time with ktuned garbage or Exedy's lower end line. It's junk.
It's not so much the pedal pressure, which is quite light, but more the way it feels at engagement.

Which exedy is junk? Stock equivalent? Would you recommend stage 1 for reliability? I'd like to get at least 100K out of a clutch (mostly freeway miles). Other decent aftermarket brands?

Looking for slightly more aggressive than stock, but not something the wife can't handle in traffic.

I'll try the civic slave with the stock master and see how it goes. Does it bolt right up, or do I need a kit or some engineering?

·
Registered
174 Posts
@merlinj79
TSXXXX wasn't talking about exedy's clutches being junk, but their master/slave cylinders.
The correct Civic master and slave parts bolt right in, no modifications needed. Changing the master is a huge PITA, you don't want to do it twice. OEM Honda is the way to go. I got both master and slave from Honda and no issues for 20k miles now.

·
Registered
703 Posts
@merlinj79
TSXXXX wasn't talking about exedy's clutches being junk, but their master/slave cylinders.
The correct Civic master and slave parts bolt right in, no modifications needed. Changing the master is a huge PITA, you don't want to do it twice. OEM Honda is the way to go. I got both master and slave from Honda and no issues for 20k miles now.
Yes, sorry if that was confusing! Their clutch kits (oe replacement and stage 1) have had great feedback in the TSX crowd. I was very unimpressed with their oe replacement slave though. The OEM Acura one proved to be a much better piece.

100% agree on the OEM Honda EM2 master - I had the ktuned one in there before and it's trash. Luckily I've done enough MC's in Honda's that it isn't a hard job to me anymore but yes, total PITA otherwise and definitely not something you want to do twice. I've had mine in for a year now. Probably half the miles as you but I bet way more clutch engagements. Chicago traffic on the daily = plenty of footwork. And they're holding up great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts