Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was anyone else a little spooked by that?

This morning they blew up Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia, where the Phillies and Eagles used to play. (I mean, don't get too scared, they did it on purpose.) It collapsed in a sideways-wave, all the way around. Although the directionality was different, it reminded me a little too much of the WTC collapses.

Sorry for the vivid imagination. :nono:

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Not me. I wanted to be there in person but I got up too late. Saw it on TV and it was a blast. :rotz:

I still have vivid and fond memories of the Vet. One being Chicago Bears wide receiver Wendell Davis blowing out both of his knees at the same time, while coming down untouched on a pass play.

I still get a chuckle when people who managed to grab a piece of the building say that they can still smell the aroma of hotdogs and beer on a piece of concrete that they are holding.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, why not: How about nominees for greatest player at the Vet?

My seat-of-the-pants pick: Mike Schmidt.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
No argument there.

But I'm much more of an Eagles fan than a Phillies fan. I have great amount of respect for the core players from the Gang Green Defense of the early 90's (White, Brown, Simmons, Joyner, Allen, and the rest). Thanks for the memories.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatchamacallit said:
.....the Gang Green Defense.....
Hey wait a minute, I thought Gang Green meant the Jets!!!

Yes, this is your average tunnel-visioned NY-centric fan speaking -- like the world revolves around NY.

(Remember that great New Yorker cover?
"Greenwich Village, Fifth Ave., Columbus Ave., Amsterdam Ave., Chicago, China, Mars, Pluto.....")

We also thought Phil Rizzuto invented and owned "Holy Cow" until Harry Caray's book came out.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
JETS = Just End The Season :rolleyes:

Sorry, us Philly fans don't fare any better in class (actually worse I think, not that we're ashamed of it or anything). :D

BTW, what do Jets fans think of Herman Edwards? I like him as a coach but he's in a tough situation.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatchamacallit said:
JETS = Just End The Season :rolleyes:

Sorry, us Philly fans don't fare any better in class (actually worse I think, not that we're ashamed of it or anything). :D

BTW, what do Jets fans think of Herman Edwards? I like him as a coach but he's in a tough situation.
Ah, Herman Edwards! To this day I think of him way more in terms of "The Fumble" than anything else.

At the time, I had a little fuzzy B & W TV -- no cable (hardly anybody had it back then), and most of what I would see on that TV was like through a dust storm. But I sure saw enough of that play. :rolleyes:

Actually I don't follow the Jets very closely these days. I personally like Herman Edwards as a person from what I can tell (whatever that may be worth), but as a coach he doesn't strike me as great or clearly good, or impressive in any way, so I would have expected that without more tangible success, he wouldn't be able to stay in the job. But he has. My impression of what most people think of him is a bit similar: That they're not sure about him, but he's a regular guy and he has class, and the players seem to like him, so.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts