Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back in December 2010 I needed new tires & did not want to spend a lot because I did not think that I would have my car for much longer. I got 4 Falken Ziex ZE-912 @ DiscountTire for ~$110 each; they had 40,000 mile warranties.

Flash forward to today: 2 years & 3 months, 23,000 miles later & I already need new tires. I was planning on getting a new car this year so was gonna not bother until the last rain fall where my car slid all over I40.

Luckily, DiscountTire honored the warranty & I got back 50% of the value. I ended up buying the Falken Ziex ZE-612, which to my understanding is the exact same tire except it is now a DiscountTire exclusive & thus they changed the name. The price also dropped to $97.

I better have a new car by the time these wear out.

Moral of the story: these Falken tires wear out fast but DiscountTire will give you credit. Also, they apparently get much louder as they age bc these new ones are lot quieter than what I was experiencing these past few months.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'll never trust Falken tires again, when I bought my rims they had Falken's mounted on them by the previous owner -- despite his negligence with uneven camber wear; I almost died driving on the highway in the rain due to hydroplaning . Since then I've been scared for life!

F* that noise, remember tires are the only thing between you/your car and the ground -- never cheap out (or at least do your research if your budget is tight). Not against you or your choices OP, just saying in "general"

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My feelings towards 912s are dependent on application. A friend used them when he autocrossed in his scion xA and never had an issue. He was one of th top competitors in his class. He drove his car hard and got quite good mileage out of them.

Then I had a friend who got them for his Altima and tread wear was poor. Analyzing online reviews that had high mileage behind them made me come to the conclusion that they do not benefit heavy vehicles like they do with lighter "city" cars.

Tires require analyzing and homework. They do not operate the same with all vehicles, tire sizes, and all driving/road conditions.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Had the Falken Ziex-512's way back -- they were TRASH. REFUSE. GARBAGE.
Sister had the 912's on her car, and they were absolute RUBBISH. CRAP. JUNK.

You get the idea. ;)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
912s

Interesting responses. My experience with the 912s were OK other than the poor tread life. I never had a problem in the rain & it rarely snows where I am so traction was fine for me. I will say that I drive relatively tamely - only 9mpg over the limit & I like to brake when I make turns - so never really tried to find out how sporty they were.

The only reason I bought them again is because I plan on getting a new car this year & did not want to spend a lot on something I will not get a lot of use out of. Granted, this was my logic last time & 2 years later I am still in my 2004 TSX ........

Crossing my fingers that the 2014 Acura RLX SH-SH-AWD turns out nicely otherwise I have no idea what to buy.

I also just want to stress again how convenient Discount Tire is (I now notice that they sponsor this forum). Their website is easy to navigate & find tires that fit your car, they tell you what they have in stock or have to order, you make an appointment & they are waiting for you. I am out of there in like 30 minutes compared to the average 4 hour wait at places like Wal-Mart. Of course the free tire rotations are nice as well but the big shock is them honoring the 40k warranty on my 912s & crediting me back 50% what I paid (my experience at other places is that they try to void your warranty by looking at the way your tread has worn out and stuff).

Next time I definitely will not buy Falkens & will splurge on something more costly. I am curious about these low rolling resistance tires that add MPGs but I hear complaints about them so I have to research.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
TSX69, thank you for the kind words.

We also include customer reviews on our web site so you can get the opinions of other people using a particular tire.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just got Falken 612's from Discount Tire in February 2013 and they are way better than the original tires. They stop good in the rain and are not too noisy.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Semi-OT

Just wanted to share that last week I noticed 1 of my tires was almost completely flat & after filling it up, it was slowly deflating again. I made an appointment to Discount Tire & they fixed it for free. I was also out of there in like 15 minutes. I am very impressed with their service & would recommend them to anyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts