Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I got a favor/request to ask. I've decided to go with a different route in terms of suspension and have decided to opt for Tein CST Coilovers with/without EDFC (still deciding on that).

Before I bite the bullet, I dont want this thread to turn into a poll on whats equivalent or better etc...I understand these are on the pricier side and as such leads up to my request.

Anyone in the GTA have this setup (with or without EDFC) is fine, and would be willing to let me sit in the passenger seat for a quick spin around to see how they hold up/whether they're worth it.

Ultimately aside from the reviews online and such, I'd like to experience them first hand before going ahead with it. I know it's a long shot, and sounds kinda sketchy .... BUT ill buy you lunch or some starbucks :p

Thanks in advance :)

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,040 Posts
If I had these coilovers I'd def. let you take it for a spin, I don't know of any people in the GTA that has these.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I had these coilovers I'd def. let you take it for a spin, I don't know of any people in the GTA that has these.
Thanks Mike, your def a good man. What suspension are you on at the moment? I think your right judging by the lack of posts and just gauging at the suspension threads...might just bite the bullet and hope for the best haha.

·
GTSX-05PWP
1,624 Posts
I'am with Mike, though the community is very small and family like...there's a lot of new members joining with various suspension set up's so hopefully someone chimes in, but as far as we know I don't believe anyone is on this setup.

I love my Buddyclub's :D though EDFC would be amazing.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,040 Posts
I'm currently on FF Type 1. Just wanted a set of coilovers to lower the car haha. If these new Tein Street Flex turn out to be something good, I may try those out in the future.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'am with Mike, though the community is very small and family like...there's a lot of new members joining with various suspension set up's so hopefully someone chimes in, but as far as we know I don't believe anyone is on this setup.

I love my Buddyclub's :D though EDFC would be amazing.
That is true Gary, I'll wait and see -- considering it's still pretty crappy out I'm sure a lot of the community's cars are hibernating. Ah yes the Buddyclub's! Havent had any issues with them I presume? I've heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, they were known for a bit of noise here and there? (Not sure if that was installation error or something else)

I'm currently on FF Type 1. Just wanted a set of coilovers to lower the car haha. If these new Tein Street Flex turn out to be something good, I may try those out in the future.
Ah I see! Yeah I was reading up on the Street Flex as well, too many choices haha...all I know is that I want the ability to dampen on my next setup; if only my H&R's had that ability I'd be more than happy with them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got Tein Street Advance * TSA * which is the updated version of Tein Super Street * TSS *. I really like my Teins and you can really see that there has been a significant improvement over their past 1 piece coil overs.

Construction: TSA have moved away from the adjustment rings for height adjustment being welded to the shock body. This is great because when 1 pc coil overs do seize it can be a bitch to loosen. TSA are a two pcs in where the shock is on it's own and the coil over sleeve sits on a circlip. Think of a Koni / Ground Control suspension set up. This is so easy if they seize since you can work with the sleeve only and not have the shock in the way.

Adjustibility: The shocks are damping adjustible 16 ways and even on the stiffest is where I have it at the car rides great. It doesn't ride like those other taiwan suspension in which the suspension actually soaks up bumps rather than skip or hop over them. The skipping aspect can be bad when trying to brake on uneven pavement as the suspension tends to skip rather than adsorb thus increasing stopping distances but there are a ton of other factors ie. tires, brake set up, temp. etc. I set it to the hardest because I wanted the car to be low but then I drove it around and said I'm not gonna destroy the lip kit / underbody and driving a slammed car in T.O is a pain even going down town. It just wasn't for me.

The Height adjustment you can see the Tein engineers really thought it thru. The front fender gap was gone and my 17 x 8 with 55 et and 215's didn't rub at it's lowest setting. After a few days of the suspension working in and " settling " it went down a lil more and I could hear my lip kit touch the streets under moderate cornering and when driving straight under some dips and road irregularities so I decided to raise it. I also didn't want to smash my oil pan.

The rears is where Tein really did their homework. I had the rears set to full low and there was a gap of a finger. The car was raked and it didn't seem to bother me. The reasons I can only speculate on are if the car is full with ppl the back the car won't ride sloppy and in a real world environment it's still easy to drive around COMFORTABLE. This also would be ok if you had a big / heavy system in the trunk.

The funny thing is that even tho some shocks have adjustments in damping it's pretty easy to get them wrong in the way the car " feels " usually when a big company in this case H & R develops it's suspension they include a multitude of factors so it's pretty much set for the avg guy but what is average to you is something else for somebody else.

With the car raised to a lil gap in the front fender and the back full low the car rode amazing at full stiff. It can also be due to the default spring rate which is on Tein USA's website.

This isn't the suspension for you if you want that HerraFrush tucking tire stance all around unless you modify it.

Here are some pics to help see but I rarely post pics of the car and some pics were not taken by me so thanks goes out to GTSX-05:

Front jammed to the fullest :

[

then raised to where i wanted it at:

Sorry I couldn't show a proper side by side or same angle pics. Hope this helps. Also I don't work for Tein in any way so sorry to make it sound like they are the end all of all suspensions. I was just happy with them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got Tein Street Advance * TSA * which is the updated version of Tein Super Street * TSS *. I really like my Teins and you can really see that there has been a significant improvement over their past 1 piece coil overs.

Construction: TSA have moved away from the adjustment rings for height adjustment being welded to the shock body. This is great because when 1 pc coil overs do seize it can be a bitch to loosen. TSA are a two pcs in where the shock is on it's own and the coil over sleeve sits on a circlip. Think of a Koni / Ground Control suspension set up. This is so easy if they seize since you can work with the sleeve only and not have the shock in the way.

Adjustibility: The shocks are damping adjustible 16 ways and even on the stiffest is where I have it at the car rides great. It doesn't ride like those other taiwan suspension in which the suspension actually soaks up bumps rather than skip or hop over them. The skipping aspect can be bad when trying to brake on uneven pavement as the suspension tends to skip rather than adsorb thus increasing stopping distances but there are a ton of other factors ie. tires, brake set up, temp. etc. I set it to the hardest because I wanted the car to be low but then I drove it around and said I'm not gonna destroy the lip kit / underbody and driving a slammed car in T.O is a pain even going down town. It just wasn't for me.

The Height adjustment you can see the Tein engineers really thought it thru. The front fender gap was gone and my 17 x 8 with 55 et and 215's didn't rub at it's lowest setting. After a few days of the suspension working in and " settling " it went down a lil more and I could hear my lip kit touch the streets under moderate cornering and when driving straight under some dips and road irregularities so I decided to raise it. I also didn't want to smash my oil pan.

The rears is where Tein really did their homework. I had the rears set to full low and there was a gap of a finger. The car was raked and it didn't seem to bother me. The reasons I can only speculate on are if the car is full with ppl the back the car won't ride sloppy and in a real world environment it's still easy to drive around COMFORTABLE. This also would be ok if you had a big / heavy system in the trunk.

The funny thing is that even tho some shocks have adjustments in damping it's pretty easy to get them wrong in the way the car " feels " usually when a big company in this case H & R develops it's suspension they include a multitude of factors so it's pretty much set for the avg guy but what is average to you is something else for somebody else.

With the car raised to a lil gap in the front fender and the back full low the car rode amazing at full stiff. It can also be due to the default spring rate which is on Tein USA's website.

This isn't the suspension for you if you want that HerraFrush tucking tire stance all around unless you modify it.

Here are some pics to help see but I rarely post pics of the car and some pics were not taken by me so thanks goes out to GTSX-05:

Front jammed to the fullest :

[

then raised to where i wanted it at:

Sorry I couldn't show a proper side by side or same angle pics. Hope this helps. Also I don't work for Tein in any way so sorry to make it sound like they are the end all of all suspensions. I was just happy with them.
Hey man,

Thanks for that review/pics. I'm not really interested in the stanced out look/hellaflush trend going on...just not my style I guess. I'm looking for both function and form, and honestly just want to drop the car and still retain a "luxurious" ride without any sort of rubbing or scraping (like yourself the last thing I'd want is to damage the oil pan).

I was considering the original SS's back when I was first in the market for coil overs, so I'd definitely consider the newer TSA's given their improvements. I just hope the CST's are not too soft for my taste.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the Tein CST will be very similar to what you already have since they are very mild but I don't have any experience with them first hand.

It's kinda hard to say as what you're going for because you want luxury while being low but on the other hand not too soft.

I've had Koni Yellows and stiff ground control spring rates on my EG and then I jump into this car to cruise around and I enjoy it. I thought it would be too floaty but I tend to like a stiffer spring rate and these are quite enjoyable. I reccommend them and think that you may like them as well because even at full stiff and full drop there wasn't any knocking or clunking or riding on the bump stops so they are valved really well.

Another Key point to look for is spring rates give you a good idea of how the ride will be but one more detail to watch for is if the spring is LINEAR or PROGRESSIVE.

Linear as most coil overs come is that as the spring is compressed it keeps the same spring rate and tend to ride harsher than Progressive rate springs. An easy way to identify this is to look at how the Spring is wound and if the gaps are uniform from top to bottom the spring is usually Linear.

Progressive springs tend to offer a softer ride and as the spring is compressed the spring rate goes from soft to hard. Progressive springs are wound tighter towards the top and the bottom of the spring has bigger gaps. You'll see this with Lowering Springs.

All in all there are lots of good suspension available for this chassis. You can't really go wrong with Tein SA or higher , Buddy Club N+, KW are AWESOME plus they feature a FULL STAINLESS Shock Body, Koni Yellows.

Other brands are BC racing , HSD, Function and Form, K sports, Junk2 etc but I am leary of the taiwan stuff cuz I've seen them fail and cause problems.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the Tein CST will be very similar to what you already have since they are very mild but I don't have any experience with them first hand.

It's kinda hard to say as what you're going for because you want luxury while being low but on the other hand not too soft.

I've had Koni Yellows and stiff ground control spring rates on my EG and then I jump into this car to cruise around and I enjoy it. I thought it would be too floaty but I tend to like a stiffer spring rate and these are quite enjoyable. I reccommend them and think that you may like them as well because even at full stiff and full drop there wasn't any knocking or clunking or riding on the bump stops so they are valved really well.

Another Key point to look for is spring rates give you a good idea of how the ride will be but one more detail to watch for is if the spring is LINEAR or PROGRESSIVE.

Linear as most coil overs come is that as the spring is compressed it keeps the same spring rate and tend to ride harsher than Progressive rate springs. An easy way to identify this is to look at how the Spring is wound and if the gaps are uniform from top to bottom the spring is usually Linear.

Progressive springs tend to offer a softer ride and as the spring is compressed the spring rate goes from soft to hard. Progressive springs are wound tighter towards the top and the bottom of the spring has bigger gaps. You'll see this with Lowering Springs.

All in all there are lots of good suspension available for this chassis. You can't really go wrong with Tein SA or higher , Buddy Club N+, KW are AWESOME plus they feature a FULL STAINLESS Shock Body, Koni Yellows.

Other brands are BC racing , HSD, Function and Form, K sports, Junk2 etc but I am leary of the taiwan stuff cuz I've seen them fail and cause problems.
Hmm, yeah I've done my homework in regards to spring rates etc...Like I said initially if these H&R's had the ability to adjust dampening I'd be more than happy. The only sets I am currently considering are the Tein CST, FLEX, possibly now the TSA. Outside of Tein, I was considering the KW's.

I might bug you to check out your TSA sometime.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took my TSA's off for a lil while so now I'm rolling on stock stuff. Just thought I'd try to shed a lil light on the subject. Honestly you won't be unhappy with any of the suggestions you are considering.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey guys,

I got a favor/request to ask. I've decided to go with a different route in terms of suspension and have decided to opt for Tein CST Coilovers with/without EDFC (still deciding on that).

Before I bite the bullet, I dont want this thread to turn into a poll on whats equivalent or better etc...I understand these are on the pricier side and as such leads up to my request.

Anyone in the GTA have this setup (with or without EDFC) is fine, and would be willing to let me sit in the passenger seat for a quick spin around to see how they hold up/whether they're worth it.

Ultimately aside from the reviews online and such, I'd like to experience them first hand before going ahead with it. I know it's a long shot, and sounds kinda sketchy .... BUT ill buy you lunch or some starbucks :p

Thanks in advance :)
I have Tein CST and since you re meeting me in Vaughan before going to the spring meet, I can take you for a spin around the industrial area so you get a feel. I probably will be on full hard at that time. I don't have EDFC. While it's nice, it's hasn't been worth the money and install hassle for me. Under hood access to adjustment is easy, so for me it's the rears where all the value of EDFC would be concentrated. But I got used to removing the bolsters to adjust few times a season - usually before and after track. And since I have to change my track pads and flush the fluid this is just a small part of the whole prep. The bolster removal is easy. Reinstalling the bolt is a bit more pain as fingers are tired by then form the hold the seat cushion back. To this day I don't regret my choice for the CSTs as I paired them with Progress 22m RSB on stiff and the car dynamic and utility is fantastic!

I love the cushy feel (full soft) while driving these horrible Toronto city roads and I am very satisfied how they handle on the track (full hard) and I run fairly hard in the advanced group. So I needed both options in my suspension. I just can't imagine driving every day on something that has 16kg springs in Toronto. I think the car's and my internals would fall apart to pieces if it's daily driven.
ssssssss2

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have Tein CST and since you re meeting me in Vaughan before going to the spring meet, I can take you for a spin around the industrial area so you get a feel. I probably will be on full hard at that time. I don't have EDFC. While it's nice, it's hasn't been worth the money and install hassle for me. Under hood access to adjustment is easy, so for me it's the rears where all the value of EDFC would be concentrated. But I got used to removing the bolsters to adjust few times a season - usually before and after track. And since I have to change my track pads and flush the fluid this is just a small part of the whole prep. The bolster removal is easy. Reinstalling the bolt is a bit more pain as fingers are tired by then form the hold the seat cushion back. To this day I don't regret my choice for the CSTs as I paired them with Progress 22m RSB on stiff and the car dynamic and utility is fantastic!

I love the cushy feel (full soft) while driving these horrible Toronto city roads and I am very satisfied how they handle on the track (full hard) and I run fairly hard in the advanced group. So I needed both options in my suspension. I just can't imagine driving every day on something that has 16kg springs in Toronto. I think the car's and my internals would fall apart to pieces if it's daily driven.
ssssssss2
Hey man thanks for the awesome review and reply. PM me your number, I wouldn't mind meeting up before the meet as in this week or next as well if your free since I'm hoping to make the switch ASAP.

Let me know, thanks :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey man thanks for the awesome review and reply. PM me your number, I wouldn't mind meeting up before the meet as in this week or next as well if your free since I'm hoping to make the switch ASAP.

Let me know, thanks :)
I'm having bunch of prep work done to the car before next weekend, so the schedule is a bit tight, but let's try to work something out. I'll get back to you via PM. Btw what it is that you are looking for in the coilovers? Perhaps I can try to answer if I feel they meet those needs in the meantime.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.