Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GT40 enthusiast
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sources in Maranello say Ferrari engineers are hard at work on a road-going version of the seven-speed sequential gearbox used by Michael Schumacher in the F1-2003GA. Plans call for putting the transmission into the next-generation Ferrari 360 due in 2007.

“This is an area we’re exploring right now for the next version of the V8,” says one insider. “Given the power delivery characteristics on the V12s, seven speeds are unnecessary. But the V8 is a good candidate.”

A seven-speed box would address the one slight negative against the 360 Modena Challenge Stradale—that the 8500-rpm redline comes too quickly. Plans also call for revising the engine program to allow for a 9500-rpm redline. It’s possible Ferrari may introduce the all-new powertrain in the current 360 design by the 2006 model year as a limited run of the Challenge Stradale, similar to the re-release of the 550 Maranello as a 575 model with little change to the exterior.

THIS IS GONNA BE ONE MEAN, FERRARI THAT GETS THIS BABY!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Myogi_Nightkid said:
actually BMW will also come out with a 7-speed gearbox. it will be on the 2005 500HP M5
anymore info on this I would love to read up.. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
unfortunately, i won't be able to give you a link about the whole story. yet.

i read the article from MotorTrend's August issue. it is actually the cover story.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It doesn't make sense to put more gears onto a car that's having the redline come too fast. More gears = closer ratios = less time in each gear? If the redline was coming too fast, Ferrari would be smart to put a 5-speed in or up the redline. Am I right or am I trippin? Cuz I'm sick....but I think i'm right?

·
Registered
68 Posts
you're right on the money! from what i read, BMW's 7-speed gearbox is still questionable. it may be possible that BMW is saying that for marketing strategies. i dunno...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think we're in over our heads in gears. Pretty soon, we're gunna spend more time shifting than accelerating. Even if it is sequential, think of the wear vs. improved performance factor. Doesn't really add up. I think six speeds is PLENTY enough...even five is great.

·
GT40 enthusiast
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But wouldn't you say that some car's would be able to handle the sequential gears. I would bet that Ferrari, and such supercar companies know what they are doing.

Now if one day we end up with having gear ratios of that off of a 18-wheeler....then I'll be pissed:D :D :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would say that if anything needed 7 sequential gears it would be a Hyundai Accent or a Kia Rio :). Ferrari can do what it wants with its cars because I'm not one of their customers (yet), but still I think its all overkill and marketing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think 7 gears is alredy too much for me, but it's also a cool gadget if you ask me, I guess there's a reason why ferrari wants to build a 7 speed into production. My dad's rig has 10 speed. Prob ferrari want to tow a boat to a modena =) that's why it need a lower gear...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts