136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres a few pics of my progress.
i will update when all is finished.
working with a 10'' kicker l7

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Good progress! What is the details on that blue material (brand, product type and number)? Thanks.
painters tape. You can get it home depot, lowes etc.

Looks really good. What kind of resin did you use?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i used home depo's 3m resign. $30 a gallon. used about a full gallon, 3 packs of fiberglass woven matt. and 2 pints of body filler..

trying to upload my finished product and the site wont let me upload more than 45kb of a pic

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
did it clump up on you and become jelly to the point where you couldnt make the fiber/fleece absorb it?

·
Registered
831 Posts
lol damnit you beat me to it :p i was doing the same thing few months back but had to put it on hold due to some health related issues. how many layers of glass have you done so far ? i have 4 layers but i plan on doing 2-3 more to have a super solid structure , im also doing it from the opposite side from you, wish i started with the same side as you as it is slightly deeper , might have to re-do it but heres few pics of what i got so far...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did it clump up on you and become jelly to the point where you couldnt make the fiber/fleece absorb it?
no it did not clump up. if you are having trouble with resin clumping up while applying, try to add a little bit less hardner. you can have resin set in 5 minutes with the right amount of hardener but it will smoke on you..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol damnit you beat me to it :p i was doing the same thing few months back but had to put it on hold due to some health related issues. how many layers of glass have you done so far ? i have 4 layers but i plan on doing 2-3 more to have a super solid structure , im also doing it from the opposite side from you, wish i started with the same side as you as it is slightly deeper , might have to re-do it but heres few pics of what i got so far...

very nice and clean progress.. i chose the rt side as you said for the added depth for the sub. hooked it up last night to a hifonics 1000. the sub is getting 750 and is sounds smooth and tight. actually more bass than i thought it would with the direction of the sub.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

by the way you ruined half the fun with the mask lol..

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
no it did not clump up. if you are having trouble with resin clumping up while applying, try to add a little bit less hardner. you can have resin set in 5 minutes with the right amount of hardener but it will smoke on you..
Haha glad im not the only one that has performed the "i wonder what happens when you use wayyy to much hardener?"

Must be differences in humidity and temperature, here in florida that stuff is shit. It either takes forever (Like days) to setup if you go by the directions on the package or you add too much hardener and it turns into goop and you waste it. Its hard to find good resin. Usually i have to get it from car audio shops who have accounts with install products or companies like it or I use boat resin. A little more expensive but no bubbles and dries completely.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Haha glad im not the only one that has performed the "i wonder what happens when you use wayyy to much hardener?"

Must be differences in humidity and temperature, here in florida that stuff is shit. It either takes forever (Like days) to setup if you go by the directions on the package or you add too much hardener and it turns into goop and you waste it. Its hard to find good resin. Usually i have to get it from car audio shops who have accounts with install products or companies like it or I use boat resin. A little more expensive but no bubbles and dries completely.
I was using the BONDO brand resin and hardener, i was working outside in about 90 degree weather, i grabbed bunch of the small 4oz water cups from work and bunch of cheap ass $1 brushes from "ocean state job lot" i was using approx. 6-10 drops of hardener per 1/2 , 2/3 cup depending of how much resin i poured in there, i would swap the brush every 2 layers or so. worked on this for 2 weekends for about 1-2 hrs so far than i had to put the project aside cuz of the cancer situation, and thats not counting in the 1-2 hours on routing out the sub retainer rings, gluing and drilling them. not gona work on it over the winter cuz i noticed that the resin cures better in hot weather and direct sunlight. but pretty much the next step is another 2-4 layers of glass so the structure is solid, sand the back and inside, do some filling to get it as smooth as possible ( because having rough inside of the box will actually distort the sound believe it or not ) then i will mount the retainer rings, fill the half with "great stuff" expanding foam, shape and sand the front, do 6-8 layers glass in front, more fill and sand till i get it perfectly, pull out all the foam, carpet the box and give it a go :D, by the way i did not miss out on the fun part, the car wreaked like resin for few weeks after i did the initial coat and layer of glass lol, thats why i pulled the form out as soon as it was sturdy enough to come out and worked on it outside :p. once the project is done ill do a full write up and tutorial on this. i might also switch sides to get the depth benefit :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
PS BTW cpozzuolo, how many layers of glass did you lay on your enclosure ? am i going overboard by doing 8 layers on back and 8 layers on front ? my enclosure is about 1/8-3/16 of an inch at the moment and i feel pretty confident that i can stand up on it, im about 200lbs give or take a few.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i only did about 4 layers front and back.. 8 is a little overkill but never a bad idea. once you are done with all the work you will be so happy with the results. i know i am

1 - 15 of 15 Posts