Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I finally got my first Acura and I decided to sign up here! :)

I have a 2006 Acura TSX with the Navigation System :D

Unfortunately, the sound system isn't where I want it to be. :( I was wondering if there was a way to install an amplifier.

Now, I know, someone, somewhere, will tell me to refer to another thread or something. But I'm pretty much a total n00b when it comes to sound and audio (which is why I'm posting, in the first place).

I was wondering if I could use the PAC AOEM-HON20. I looked up things about it and saw that most people need to reground the device and that the remote is not connected properly, or something. Gee, it would really help if I knew how to do all of those things!

I've also read that I could use LOC on the rear 6 x 9 speakers, but I have no intentions of performing invasive surgery on my new baby.

Finally, since Black Friday is coming around the corner, I planned on purchasing a cheap 4 channel amp to complement the PAC AOEM-HON20 device (since that gives me 4 channel conversion).

So, my question is: Could someone (or some people) give me a total n00b's guide to installing an amplifier in my 2006 Acura TSX with navigation? (On a related note, would I lose my bluetooth and steering wheel controls? If so, scratch that, and is there a way I can replace the stock amp included with the TSX?)

THANKS EVERYONE :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
IMO There's a lot you need to learn before you begin any audio work on your car. For now, just read up articles that others have posted on audio installs in general. Then start looking at TSX specific installs. Then decide your budget and decide how far you are looking to go. IMO it is not worth installing an aftermarket head unit because of the custom fabrication and extra work needed. I also don't think the stock amp and speakers are very bad at all.

What I would recommend, if you are feeling that you are lacking the BOOM BOOM BASS, just add a sub and amp. I did this to my car and I think it sounds much better, but I kept it to a single 10" sub, so it is not overwhelming.

You could either use a line out converter (LOC) which simply taps into the rear speaker wires, and is in no way "invasive surgery" or you can do what I did and buy an amp that has speaker line inputs. All I needed to run was a power wire from the battery.

I would also recommend buying an iPod adapter. I got my used DICE unit off craigslist for $40. It plugs into the back of the stock head unit and can be controlled by the stock controls and steering wheel controls. And if you have NAVI, it will show song title etc. I keep an 80gb hard drive in my car all the time for my music storage.

If you have more questions after you have done some reading and research, let me know. I am in no way an audio expert, but I have no issues with simple installs.

·
Team Advantage Audio mem
834 Posts
If you are not wantting to do invasive surgery then you want to stick with just adding a sub. If you want to change the speakers it alot of work and surely is surgery. look at my instal should help you get an idea.

As far as loosing control and blutooth. You should not. Loc comes into play between amp and speaker. Also if you are savy you could solder/ tap into the full range preouts at the amp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aha thanks everyone!

so i just played some dubstep (ah yeah) and the sound was actually incredible. i guess it's the type of music you play that ends up making the experience :p

@getafewlives, i have the 2006 tsx, so there is a stock auxiliary input in the center console. i don't really need to worry about ipod connectivity xD

@bmwproboi05, how exactly would i go about soldering this amp? well, to start, where is it? haha i've looked around and, from what i can glean, i understand that the amplifier is in the dash behind the nav unit? really odd, but yeah...

i don't want to put in a subwoofer, because my family uses the car to donate fruits and vegetables to a temple we go to once a month. i'd have to keep taking the subs out (it's just taking a few wires out, right?) and putting them back in :p i'd rather just pop in an amp (possibly something not too expensive [~$50]) to improve the sound (prices for black friday, of course).

thanks for everything you guys have addressed, so far! i never thought i'd get responses so quickly :)

·
Team Advantage Audio mem
834 Posts
aha thanks everyone!

so i just played some dubstep (ah yeah) and the sound was actually incredible. i guess it's the type of music you play that ends up making the experience :p

@getafewlives, i have the 2006 tsx, so there is a stock auxiliary input in the center console. i don't really need to worry about ipod connectivity xD

@bmwproboi05, how exactly would i go about soldering this amp? well, to start, where is it? haha i've looked around and, from what i can glean, i understand that the amplifier is in the dash behind the nav unit? really odd, but yeah...

i don't want to put in a subwoofer, because my family uses the car to donate fruits and vegetables to a temple we go to once a month. i'd have to keep taking the subs out (it's just taking a few wires out, right?) and putting them back in :p i'd rather just pop in an amp (possibly something not too expensive [~$50]) to improve the sound (prices for black friday, of course).

thanks for everything you guys have addressed, so far! i never thought i'd get responses so quickly :)
The amp is behind the lower din/ upper din where u prob store your cd or stuff.

You will need a wiring diagram to see what wires are what, but once you see the amp unplug it, and remove the black cover covering up the wires. There will be 2 pairs of wire that are insulated. You will want those 4

For 50 bux. I wouldnt even upgrade an amp. especialy if your that concered bout space. You can get a 10w3 jl in a .7cubic ft box in the corner , and youll still have loads of space

·
Mike V
74 Posts
Honestly bro.. It took me.hours to do mine up.. And yes i chopped up the factory harness but overall it was worth it. Im running a jl audio 300/4 to all polk audio dxi's 6.5 in all the doors and 6x9's n the rear all with full range sound minus bass. And 2 ten inch audiobahns with another jl audio amp in the trunk.. Basically to get to the wiring is super easy just ur adapter will give u 4 rca's 2 of which will have mids and highs and ur other 2 rcas will have just bass.. I thought that just upgrading all my speakers would help it actually made it worse becuase the stock pioneer amp is puny and cannot power polk audio dxi's effeciently. Finding a mercman adapter is like finding a needle.in a haystack and they removed.the tutorial on how to build one yourself.. So be prepared bro.. Its alot of work.. But definetly worth it especially having rear fill sound.

Future plans.. Are to install my 2 w6 12"s with my jl audio 100/1 aftr my suspension upgrade.

All in all.. Its going to be very invassive. Get to know your car better. And have a multimeter handy at the very least. Ive messed with alotta stereo installs and this was not an easy one. Take it to a stereo shop and youll pay an arm and a leg for halfass work.. Ur stuck with the stock amplifier with the adapter on ebay that i bought. Its not bad at all.. I get compliments on my sound all the time, unless u find that.mercman harness..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts