Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I took my TSX on its first long trip. It was a business trip to Columbia, SC. My boss was supposed to drive, but he couldn’t go at the last minute. I hate driving my car on business trips, but I hate company cars on I-40 through the Blueridge mountains even worse.

I put the navi system, performance and handling (I am not a passive Interstate driver), and gas mileage to the test. The TSX meet or exceeded my expectations at ever category.

The navi system was accurate and easy to use and kept me from making a few silly wrong turns (getting back on the wrong ramp and such).

The car just loved being pushed through the mountains. I have never owned a car that corners like the TSX. There have been a lot of complaints about slower than expected 0-60 times and that sort of thing. I could care less. How about the 40-80 times? This car can flat out fly and handle in traffic. Whenever the situation presented itself to break for an open stretch of road my TSX never let me down.

As mentioned above I am not a passive driver and I still came away with better than 30 mpg on the trip. That included a day of driving in town before leaving and stopped twice by accidents (total delay about 20 minutes) where traffic came to a stand still.

Comfort was another thing that surprised me a little. The TSX’s seats are really great for longs rides and for a car with a stiff suspension the ride is a very smooth and the TSX is very much an Interstate cruiser.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
prballard said:
.....The car just loved being pushed through the mountains.....
Pulled. :D :D :D (Gotcha!)

Nice write-up. Yes, provided that the seat is right for you, it's great to start with and the longer you go, the more you appreciate it. When I recently rented a G35, at first blush I was taken by the great leather etc., but after 20 minutes I was missing the TSX seat.

About 40-80 etc: One mag article -- I think it was the notorious "Automobile" article that wasn't too good despite picking the TSX #1 -- gave figures for "30-70," which seemed like an odd category but it does relate to what you're talking about. And I remember noting that the time indicated for the TSX -- I think it was just under 9 -- seemed way on the high side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I can say it is the best in traffic car I have ever owned. A great escape car. 1blue1.gif
 

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
Joined
·
465 Posts
prballard said:
All I can say it is the best in traffic car I have ever owned. A great escape car. 1blue1.gif
That's funny. I just saw that commercial last week during the tournament games.

Your point about 0-60 times vs. 40-70 (or whatever) is interesting. I've started wondering about that myself -- do I care what the 0-60 or 1/4 mile time is? Maybe I should be more focused on skid pad results or slalom times?

The Maxima I just traded was just awesome at in-traffic acceleration -- sometimes shockingly so -- but unfortunately it wasn't as composed in the handling department as the TSX.

I did several tests with the TSX going around 50 mph, and seeing how fast it would hit 70/75 mph. Totally informal stuff, no clocks or anything like that. Just a gut feeling thing. The TSX didn't seem overwhelming in this area, but capable. It's entirely possible I didn't downshift into the appropriate gear -- selection seems to be critical with this engine/tranny combo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ferg said:
It's entirely possible I didn't downshift into the appropriate gear -- selection seems to be critical with this engine/tranny combo.
Try downshifting from 5th to 3rd at 50 mph. Just as a disclaimer, I am not responsible any whiplash experienced!

Most of driving last week was Interstate and my downshifting was from 6th to 5th, but still very fun. :mardi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I just got my TSX on Saturday, but I'm looking forward to taking it on a road trip. I sold my Mini Cooper for this car and there is no comparision in comfort. The Mini was not a road trip car. This car is just great all around!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
prballard said:
Try downshifting from 5th to 3rd at 50 mph. Just as a disclaimer, I am not responsible any whiplash experienced!
With the AT-SS, 80 km/h (50 mph) you can slam it down 3(!) gears and get 2nd @ 5000 rpm, right in the thick of things. :laugh:

I really enjoy ripping out of the onramp on the highway into a fast merge. The speeds comes so fast it's hard not to overdrive the traffic and be forced to brake! I think the slick 0.27 Cd gives the TSX a compartive advantage over its draggier competition at speed.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Altersys said:
over 30 mpg?? How do you achieve that? I get 24 MPG consistently but I drive like a bastard :).....
And there is your answer. :D

The Trip Computer (which is part of the Nav) tells you (among other things) your MPG -- not just a cumulative figure (everybody knows about that), but an instantaneous moment-to-moment figure. We don't hear much about what a great learning tool this can be, maybe even a research tool. The main thing I've learned from it is how drastically the MPG varies according to how you drive. I used to think it made just a little difference, like 10% or something like that. It's way more than that, like 30-40% or even more. I drive different ways at different times, depending on whim as well as necessity, and I've observed this to be the case. On a clear freeway, I might average as much as 34 -- or less than 20. Really. It all depends.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
TSXtc said:
I just got my TSX on Saturday, but I'm looking forward to taking it on a road trip. I sold my Mini Cooper for this car and there is no comparision in comfort. The Mini was not a road trip car. This car is just great all around!
Welcome, and congrats!

We've been seeing more and more about the Mini on this board. I used to ask about it all the time on other sites and nobody was ever interested in it. On one site, somebody asked what car we thought was the best looking sports sedan, and I picked the Mini even though it's not a sedan. :D

I'm sure the TSX beats the Mini in comfort. But how about fun? I love the TSX and consider it the most fun car I've had (including my old BMW 320). I haven't been in a Mini but I wouldn't be surprised if it wins out on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Altersys said:
over 30 mpg?? How do you achieve that? I get 24 MPG consistently but I drive like a bastard :)

-Alt
I just keep it in 6th gear a lot (except mountains). Of course I was going 80 in 6th gear. :greenboun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kiteboy said:
With the AT-SS, 80 km/h (50 mph) you can slam it down 3(!) gears and get 2nd @ 5000 rpm, right in the thick of things. :laugh:
I almost said 2nd, but I didn't want to be responsible for someone damaging their tranny. If someone knows what they are doing (get the rpms up first), then it is not a problem to skip 2 gears on a downshift. I have found that it is an easier downshift than skipping 1 gear. Just get those revs up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
larchmont said:
And there is your answer. :D

The Trip Computer (which is part of the Nav) tells you (among other things) your MPG -- not just a cumulative figure (everybody knows about that), but an instantaneous moment-to-moment figure. We don't hear much about what a great learning tool this can be, maybe even a research tool. The main thing I've learned from it is how drastically the MPG varies according to how you drive. I used to think it made just a little difference, like 10% or something like that. It's way more than that, like 30-40% or even more. I drive different ways at different times, depending on whim as well as necessity, and I've observed this to be the case. On a clear freeway, I might average as much as 34 -- or less than 20. Really. It all depends.
And wouldn't it be great if the instantaneous MPG was more precise than a 5 MPG bar scale on the TSX???
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
prballard said:
And wouldn't it be great if the instantaneous MPG was more precise than a 5 MPG bar scale on the TSX???
Hey, I did sort of notice that it seems to jump in increments of 5 but I didn't realize it's limited to that -- are you sure it is?

(Sounds pretty sure to me.)

Well anyway I'll check it out.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I'm sure the TSX beats the Mini in comfort. But how about fun? I love the TSX and consider it the most fun car I've had (including my old BMW 320). I haven't been in a Mini but I wouldn't be surprised if it wins out on this.
The Mini does corner better, but that doesn't compare to all the other features my TSX has to offer. I had the regular Mini because I wanted an automatic, but it was pretty slow with just 115HP. It is like night and day with the pickup on the TSX. The car just wants to go fast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
prballard said:
I almost said 2nd, but I didn't want to be responsible for someone damaging their tranny. If someone knows what they are doing (get the rpms up first), then it is not a problem to skip 2 gears on a downshift. I have found that it is an easier downshift than skipping 1 gear. Just get those revs up.
Yeah, a bit safer with the SS. Just 3 taps backward and the DBW even blips the throttle for you. Also, the computer won't allow you shift into a gear that puts the engine past redline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
kiteboy said:
With the AT-SS, 80 km/h (50 mph) you can slam it down 3(!) gears and get 2nd @ 5000 rpm, right in the thick of things. :laugh:
I would not be happy with the car without the SS, I've realized. 2nd gear is the place to be whenever you want to accelerate :cool: When I floor it in 2nd at 40 mph or so, the car feels really fast :) Not fast off the line, but quick when you need it.


The cat and dog TSX commercial was just on - 2nd time I've seen in in 3 days - maybe they're upping the advertising budget??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
larchmont said:
We've been seeing more and more about the Mini on this board. I used to ask about it all the time on other sites and nobody was ever interested in it. On one site, somebody asked what car we thought was the best looking sports sedan, and I picked the Mini even though it's not a sedan. :D

I'm sure the TSX beats the Mini in comfort. But how about fun? I love the TSX and consider it the most fun car I've had (including my old BMW 320). I haven't been in a Mini but I wouldn't be surprised if it wins out on this.
I'm obsessed with the Mini Cooper. I'd only get one as a third car (and I'd rather have a Miata), but they are cool. The only person I know with one has it garaged and doesn't drive it much since he lives in center city Philly. Doesn't make sense to me - if ever there was a city car...
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
prballard said:
I am pretty sure.....
And darned if you're not right!

I checked it out, and yes indeed, it's nothing but on the 5's and 0's -- just increments of 5.

While I was at it, I noticed something else: The "instantaneous" MPG doesn't adjust instantaneously -- there's a delay that varies from about half a second to just over a second. (Depending on what, I have no idea.)

Anyway, I don't think they ever said "instantaneous," I just thought that was the best word to use.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top