Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had an old iPod 4th gen that looks like this.

The harddrive had failed for about a year now but everything else worked fine, so i figured, why not replace the harddrive and use it as a dedicated music player for my car.

Since my old iPod would be used in my car, I didn't want to simply replace the old drive with another harddrive. I looked around and found this guide that walks you through installing a Compact Flash card in your iPod 4th gen. I ordered these exact parts:

Newegg.com - Transcend 8GB Compact Flash (CF) Flash Card Model TS8GCF133

$4.05 - CF to Toshiba 1.8-inch IDE Hard Drive Converter - Hardware Parts

I know they also have tools to open up your iPod without damaging it but I didn't care so I used a small flathead. Just be careful not to crack the screen.

After follow all the steps, the iPod now as working again. Stoked!

The thing I liked about the 4th gen iPod was the ability to use an apple wired remote with it. Here's what the remote looks like:

And the finished product:

·
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I have the exact setup as you. I should take some pictures of it this weekend!
Nice. I really like having that remote to control the music. Before, I had my entire ipod in the cupholder and it was bulky.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does an old iPod like that not work with iSimple? That works so well, can control it using steering wheel buttons...

But if it doesn't, then your setup is cool.

·
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does an old iPod like that not work with iSimple? That works so well, can control it using steering wheel buttons...

But if it doesn't, then your setup is cool.
I'm pretty sure isimple works with older ipods as well. I was just cheap and went with the 10 wired remote option rather than paying 100+ for isimple

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah, still the original hard drive. It works most of the time. Occasionally, it dies, but I also have a iPod mini as a back up. You can never have too many iPods. Lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts