Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I figured I would post since this was such a relief for me and there is nothing about our TSX's having this issue on any of the sights.

My KA5AT (automatic transmission) in my 04 TSX with 136k miles has been feeling super sluggish for about six months now. It was not wanting to downshift, shuddering, acting lazy, slipping a tiny bit, and had very clunky and rough downshifts. I thought my tranny was about to blow up and had started the search for my next car, but then I spoke to a buddy with an 05 4cly Accord and he recommended replacing the 3rd and 4th gear AT pressure switches (both located on the drivers side of the engine). When these switches clog or fail your tranny feels like junk and will eventually become junk due to the bad sensors. Apparently, this is common on the V6 Accords, Ody vans, and TL's. I went to DCH Automotive Parts and purchased 2 of the 28600-RCL-004. There are two that show for the 3rd gear switch the one mentioned above and 28600-RCL-003. since the 004 part is cheaper and showed as working for both I purchased those. A 22mm open end wrench worked best for the sensors and then I used a 10 and 12mm socket to remove the battery and battery support underneath the battery (metal shelf battery sits on). When removing the shelf the two hard to reach, you will know what I mean, bolts do not have to be completely removed as the shelf with slide up once those are loosened. Underneath the battery is the 3rd switch and right to the right of the valve cover and to the left of the tranny filter (facing the front of the car) is the 4th gear switch. These sense the pressure of the tranny fluid and tell your car when to shift, I'm assuming. At any rate that with the 3x3 flush and it feels completely different in a good way! Looks like I will be keeping her for a while longer.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
Very good information for us 5AT owners! I need to get around doing this as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

A week later all is still feeling great and way better than before. I wanted to add though, that when these switches are failing like mine and causing the transmission to act up, I think it had an affect on fluid circulation as a whole. I always check my trans fluid correctly (full operating temp or usually 45 minute commute to work immediately after killing the engine check level on level surface). After this I went from a hair below full tick to what would appear a quarter of a quart over full or top tick mark (judging by how much oil I have to add from bottom to top ticks on oils stick).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello all,

I figured I would post since this was such a relief for me and there is nothing about our TSX's having this issue on any of the sights.

My KA5AT (automatic transmission) in my 04 TSX with 136k miles has been feeling super sluggish for about six months now. It was not wanting to downshift, shuddering, acting lazy, slipping a tiny bit, and had very clunky and rough downshifts. I thought my tranny was about to blow up and had started the search for my next car, but then I spoke to a buddy with an 05 4cly Accord and he recommended replacing the 3rd and 4th gear AT pressure switches (both located on the drivers side of the engine). When these switches clog or fail your tranny feels like junk and will eventually become junk due to the bad sensors. Apparently, this is common on the V6 Accords, Ody vans, and TL's. I went to DCH Automotive Parts and purchased 2 of the 28600-RCL-004. There are two that show for the 3rd gear switch the one mentioned above and 28600-RCL-003. since the 004 part is cheaper and showed as working for both I purchased those. A 22mm open end wrench worked best for the sensors and then I used a 10 and 12mm socket to remove the battery and battery support underneath the battery (metal shelf battery sits on). When removing the shelf the two hard to reach, you will know what I mean, bolts do not have to be completely removed as the shelf with slide up once those are loosened. Underneath the battery is the 3rd switch and right to the right of the valve cover and to the left of the tranny filter (facing the front of the car) is the 4th gear switch. These sense the pressure of the tranny fluid and tell your car when to shift, I'm assuming. At any rate that with the 3x3 flush and it feels completely different in a good way! Looks like I will be keeping her for a while longer.
Good information to know.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
Hello all,

Are you sure both switches are the same part #? According to the diagram on the acura site, it lists part #28600-RCL-004 for #9 on the diagram but there's no part # for #10. But for years 06-08, the corresponding part #'s are 28600-RCR-004 and 28600-RCL-004

04-05: Acura online store : 2004 tsx at solenoid parts

06-08: Acura online store : 2006 tsx at solenoid parts

*edit* just checked the DCH site and it does in fact list both as the same part #. 06-08 does show different part #'s for the two switches... wonder if the transmissions 06-08 were revised or something.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Raigen18

I'm not 100% sure, but I can say it's been a minute now since I have had both of the 004's installed and had no problems. It does make you wonder if they revised them though. I know the older honda/acura transmissions (early 2000's) have all suffered from transmission pumps and these switches going out, after doing research.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I can say it's been a minute now since I have had both of the 004's installed and had no problems. It does make you wonder if they revised them though. I know the older honda/acura transmissions (early 2000's) have all suffered from transmission pumps and these switches going out, after doing research.
Thanks, I went ahead and bought 2 of the switches. After a few hours of cursing and badly scratched up arms, I was finally able to install them along with the ATF filter. Few things I would like to point out in case anyone else attempts this DIY:

- For the 2nd clutch pressure switch (by the ATF filter), you will need a 1/2" 22mm deep well socket as there is no way a wrench will fit in the tight space. Even with the deep socket, you will not be able to fully fit the socket over the switch. It'll go in at a slight angle but you should still be able to knock it loose and undo the remaining threads by hand

- For the 3rd clutch pressure switch, you do need to remove the battery but leave the battery base plate where it is. I spent an hour trying to get to those 2 awkwardly placed bolts and eventually gave up. There is enough room towards the front of the car to slip a 22mm open end wrench through to get to the switch.

- ATF filter, you are better off completely removing the entire intake air box assembly, unbolt the fuse box and move it to the side. This will make you're life much easier

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thanks, this look like a great DIY maintenance for us AT guys!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does this throw check transmission lights? I'm not noticing any shifting problems but every now and again I get a check transmission light. I did a 3 quart service and filter replacement. The old fluid looked good actually and not very dirty or black.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have any DIY steps, pics, etc., I can follow for the 3rd gear pressure switch replacement? I've been getting that flashing D on and off for months now.

I took out the battery but could not figure out how to remove the battery plate. Looks like it is welded to the car. I saw what I think is the pressure switch but could not reach it with anything, not even my hands (scratched the heck out of my hands too).

Can someone help? How did you guys get to that 3rd gear pressure switch?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone have any DIY steps, pics, etc., I can follow for the 3rd gear pressure switch replacement? I've been getting that flashing D on and off for months now.

I took out the battery but could not figure out how to remove the battery plate. Looks like it is welded to the car. I saw what I think is the pressure switch but could not reach it with anything, not even my hands (scratched the heck out of my hands too).

Can someone help? How did you guys get to that 3rd gear pressure switch?
I came across the same problem. But there is actually another bolt underneath the plate that holds it in place. There is a shaft like piece attached to the plate and if you guide your hand down it you should be able to find the last bolt. You don't have to remove it completely. Just loosen and the plate should wiggle off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I went ahead and bought 2 of the switches. After a few hours of cursing and badly scratched up arms, I was finally able to install them along with the ATF filter. Few things I would like to point out in case anyone else attempts this DIY:

- For the 2nd clutch pressure switch (by the ATF filter), you will need a 1/2" 22mm deep well socket as there is no way a wrench will fit in the tight space. Even with the deep socket, you will not be able to fully fit the socket over the switch. It'll go in at a slight angle but you should still be able to knock it loose and undo the remaining threads by hand

- For the 3rd clutch pressure switch, you do need to remove the battery but leave the battery base plate where it is. I spent an hour trying to get to those 2 awkwardly placed bolts and eventually gave up. There is enough room towards the front of the car to slip a 22mm open end wrench through to get to the switch.

- ATF filter, you are better off completely removing the entire intake air box assembly, unbolt the fuse box and move it to the side. This will make you're life much easier

How did you remove the 3rd gear pressure switch? I can't seem to get to the bolts at the bottom of the battery tray. I also heard it is easier to get to if I remove the tire and splash guard but haven't tried it yet.

Do you have any DIY steps/instructions to share?

Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.