Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed flashpro yesterday and the car was running great. I did about 10-15 redline pulls between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Everything felt great. This is an 07 mt with weapon r header, rbc mani, coolant bypass, DIY intake. Today when I was driving I was pushing the car and at times it felt like I was hitting a rev limiter. Once at 5500rpm and twice at 6500rpm. My rev limiter is set to 7600rpm. I haven't been running a data log which I should. And I didn't plan on getting it dyno tuned till I have the 45vtc and my intake and exhaust fabbed up. Tomorrow I'm going to drive around and run the datalog, but anyone have any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Check your oil levels.. your probably low on oil and when hitting vtec you'll hit what feels like a rev "limiter". I'm pretty sure this is your issue. Until you check your oil level dont hit vtec!

·
-
1,695 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'll check it, wouldn't I have an oil light though??

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.com App
Not always.. Vtec generates alot of oil pressure when engaged. Your fine for everyday driving but while in vtec you dont have enough oil to engage it.

Same goes for trying to hit vtec while the motor is cold or was just turned on. Vtec wont engage on a cold motor.. thats more ecu related for safety reasons but its not good for the motor.. neither is hitting vtec with low oil.

Check the oil level and if its low top it off and then vtec should be operating normally.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not always.. Vtec generates alot of oil pressure when engaged. Your fine for everyday driving but while in vtec you dont have enough oil to engage it.

Same goes for trying to hit vtec while the motor is cold or was just turned on. Vtec wont engage on a cold motor.. thats more ecu related for safety reasons but its not good for the motor.. neither is hitting vtec with low oil.

Check the oil level and if its low top it off and then vtec should be operating normally.
The oil level was pretty much fine. I took the car out again and when I was around 7000 it felt like a stutter and then pulled through.

·
-
1,695 Posts
Um whats the oil lamp light for then?

Wow, just wow...

The "OIL" warning light on the dash is for oil PRESSURE not for oil level.

When that light comes on there is less than 5-7PSI of oil pressure in the engine.
Which means when that light comes on it's already too late for your engine.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Wow, just wow...

When that light comes on there is less than 5-7PSI of oil pressure in the engine.
Its true the oil light is for "Oil Pressure". Low oil pressure could also indicate low oil level, but you would also see the "CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL'' in the display.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, just wow...

I wasn't asking what the light is for stating a Dick comment. But still does what I stated, low oil pressure is due to low oil. Thanks for the input on this thread, really helpful.

·
Registered
976 Posts
When was the last time you changed your oil? And what is considered fine?.. Where did the oil show up at on the dip stick?

·
Registered
976 Posts
2000 miles ago and it was above the second hole on tie dipstick.

Did it cover the dipstick fully above the second hole or did you just see that there was oil there? For me, Sometimes oil will show up above the hole but not in full. Almost as if me pulling the dipstick up catches oil on the way out. I'm trying to explain this as best as I can.

This has happened to me so many times that its always been because of the oil being to low to engage vtec. The only other thing I could think of to help is for you to just change your oil again to be certain the oil is at its right level. If that doesnt fix it then atleast you'll know its something else and not the oil level.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Have you datalog like you said you would?

·
-
1,695 Posts
I wasn't asking what the light is for stating a Dick comment. But still does what I stated, low oil pressure is due to low oil. Thanks for the input on this thread, really helpful.

You are too emotional, be logical. You are not focusing on the problem with your engine.

Based on your comments you do not understand how the oil pressure warning light on the TSX works.

Many things can cause the oil pressure light to go on (ie. no oil pressure), not JUST low oil level.
A spun rod bearing, broken oil pump bypass spring, Vtec solenoid problem, blocked oil passages, etc, etc, can also cause very low or no oil pressure.

If your engine oil pressure light comes on, you have no oil pressure in the engine which will cause engine damage.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You are too emotional, be logical. You are not focusing on the problem with your engine.

Based on your comments you do not understand how the oil pressure warning light on the TSX works.

Many things can cause the oil pressure light to go on (ie. no oil pressure), not JUST low oil level.
A spun rod bearing, broken oil pump bypass spring, Vtec solenoid problem, blocked oil passages, etc, etc, can also cause very low or no oil pressure.

If your engine oil pressure light comes on, you have no oil pressure in the engine which will cause engine damage.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Was going to chime in but no need.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts