Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 08 tsx 6speed mt i have injen CAI and Greddy evo 2 exhaust

How i see that people talk about vtc and i look into and stuff but dont understand. On some pages i see people writing that they need 06 tsx vtc or cam gear and others saying they need rsx ones i dont get it do i already have what i need ?? and what exactly is the vtc or the thing i need to change.

ive set it up on the flashpro/injen tune but i still not much faster then before. i am so confused its annoying i spent money on intake and flashpro and exhaust and see almost no difference thanks

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If your wanting to change the VTC your going to want the RBC VTC. It was used on civic SI and RSX k20 motors. It might have been used on more but im not sure.

It allows to advance the cam past the stock 25* that was put into the k24a2 stock to 50*. While there has been such writings that suggests that putting a 50* VTC into a TSX motor can be hazardous I have yet to see a case where the person wasnt revving past 7600 without other supporting mods. Although I do agree that when the VTC is installed that it should not reach 50* and more than likely shouldnt go past 45*, but that is between you and your tuner.

I currently have the 50* RBC VTC on my 2007 TSX that has been tuned by VitViper and I have no problems.

As far as feeling no difference, its kind of a bummer to spend that much $ and not feel a large amount of difference but its how it is, the TSX isnt going to be "fast" without stacking alot of mods together. I have Intake/RBC Manifold/VTC/Header/Exhaust/Flashpro and tune and it wasnt until I stacked all them together that the car became "fast" to me and even so it still really isnt "fast" just more fun!

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
VTEC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FlashPro Help

Tuning the TSX

Essentially it allows the cam shaft to change its timing relative to the crank. Some Ks come with a 25* and some with a 50*. VTC allows the car to make really nice low end power, which allows VTEC to have a better crossover which in the end means more power in total.

EDIT:

While there has been such writings that suggests that putting a 50* VTC into a TSX motor can be hazardous I have yet to see a case where the person wasnt revving past 7600 without other supporting mods. Although I do agree that when the VTC is installed that it should not reach 50* and more than likely shouldnt go past 45*, but that is between you and your tuner.
For the most part on OEM cams 50* "shouldnt" be an issue, but VTC spikes can occur: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66324

They mostly occur when the car has low oil pressure(VTC works using oil pressure), but there have been cases where spikes randomly occur. Personally I wouldnt run 50* at all unless I clayed the motor and knew it was safe.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there a diy to doin the vtc on the tsx and also i hear something about a pin that people dont put where does it go and thanks for the info and images

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I have an pin that limits the VTC gear to 40 degrees to avoid the issues with 50 degrees of movement. I have had zero issues and love it.

·
Gotta take a Dookie
570 Posts
Since were on topic does anyone where I can buy a pin for a 45*? or possibly the pin at 45* and the VTC gear?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Since were on topic does anyone where I can buy a pin for a 45*? or possibly the pin at 45* and the VTC gear?
no need to pin, you can advance with stock cams till 50* without any P2V issues. You don't need to go over 45* in FlashPro as it don't make anymore power anyway.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
trak tuff (or trak tough, can't remember the exact spelling) sells pins, but the last time i asked they didn't have one for 45*. something about the pin possibly being too thin and worrying that it wouldn't hold up vs. a thicker pin for 35 or 40*.

if you want it pinned at 45*, hytech is your best bet.

edit:

also, i think blueprint racing had one, but it was essentially the same kit as the trak tuff one. idk if they still have them.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I dont think pin is a good idea. Its cheap but this camgear is a balanced part, putting something into it that wegh about 5 grams going to disbalance it and cause vibrating stress. Try to pull 5-10 grams of balancing weights off the wheel and see how it vibrates under certain speed. Thats not good.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I dont think pin is a good idea. Its cheap but this camgear is a balanced part, putting something into it that wegh about 5 grams going to disbalance it and cause vibrating stress. Try to pull 5-10 grams of balancing weights off the wheel and see how it vibrates under certain speed. Thats not good.
Good point. I have never thought it was a good idea to alter a part that is controlled by oil pressure and has oil flow through it. I have been using a stock civic si 50*vtc for quite sometime without problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is there a diy to changing the vtc ?? and doesnt anyone by any chance have a good calibration for my car i can freeload off of lol and thanks for all the input you all great help !!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Google skunk2 cam change. There is a video that gives you a good look at what your doing. As far as step by step look into a tSX service manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
258 Posts
look up Honda TSB# 09-010

Its a great way to replace the VTC. its actually the bulletin for the 09-12 accord 4cyl VTC issue. :tu:

edit: its a pretty decent step-by-step; im going to reference it when doing my 50* RBC VTC at months end.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts