Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I noticed last night my driver side fog light is cracked and has a small hole (obviously from a rock). I have read numerous posts (until blue in the face) on retro fixes.

My question: I'm considering taking the bumper off and applying a thin sheet of Lexan in between the light housing and the bumper (not actually on the lamp) to protect the light. I haven't removed the bumper yet to see what I will need exactly. I'm also considering just buying a new fog light off ebay and applying some type of film or chicken wire to the light. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

·
-
1,750 Posts
They use a ton of gravel in Calgary in the winter and I gave up on the fog lights on our TSX, truck and Mustang.

I am pulling the fuse, then sliding in rubber liner in between the foglights and the bumper cover.
It's totally practical, no more foglights issues, takes 2 seconds and looks ugly as heck!

I was only doing this for the winter but now I don't bother to take the rubber liners off at all.
There is no way to slide in stiff flat Lexan between the foglight and the bumper.
You might be able to carefully cut the Lexan to fit the foglight opening in the bumper, wrap the perimeter of the Lexan with some kind of rubber trim and then push it into the opening with friction holding it into place.

They do make clear protective film for foglights and headlights.
They used to make really thick clear protective film but it was having melting issues.
IMO, the thin clear film will only protect the glass foglights from getting sandblasted, it won't protect them from getting broken.

·
-
1,750 Posts
The rubber is nothing special, just some rubber carpet runner that I had kicking around.
Any thin rubber (1/16" or so) will do.
Cut it about 1" larger than the fog light surround.
Then start tucking it between the foglight and the bumper cover using a small screwdriver to move it around.

Don't forget to remove the foglights fuse. I just moved it to a spare spot in the fuse box.
If you have the foglights covers and the fog lights are left on, I'm sure they will over heat, blowing the bulbs or melt the rubber or housing.

This is totally ghetto but this is my wife's car and we drive it alot in the winter for skiing.
Totally ugly but the foglights are nice and new in the spring. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.