Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my set off eBay (I know, junk) but they cracked as soon as the harsh winter hit. So my question is, if I run HID's instead of halogens. You think that'd stop the cracking? I assume it's the heat difference...

If not, what are my other options. Will OEM ones last? Was told they crack too... Also rather keep my eBay fog switch instead of the OEM one. I like my fogs on all the time. I'm not good at that custom lens stuff so that's probably out of the question unless someone will sell me their set.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well with the halogen fog setup I had, it got really hot and I agree the temperature difference may have made the glass brittle and prone the cracking by itself or with something hitting it like a rock. Because of this I switched to HIDs which are much cooler and bought clear Laminx fog film(note: thicker film then any colored film). The film isn't perfectly cut but was pretty close. I definitely wouldn't get colored film because of that.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ive had my ebay fogs for about a year now and Im in New England where the weather gets pretty harsh at times. I am running H.I.D's which I assume contribute to the fact that mine don't crack from the heat. I also bought a 3M flim and applied it before I installed them and havn't had any issues. Before this set I went through 3 sets of ebay fogs (without 3M film) in a matter of months. I think you should run H.I.D's and apply some clear 3M film and you'll be all set.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just remembered I made this thread and didn't reply. Anyways, thanks all for the comments. Yeah I'll definitely go the HID route. Hopefully it'll last me through the next winter without cracks. My Halogen's are real hot. They're 55w.

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
Do you remember if you did a car wash before you noticed they had cracked? Mine recently cracked but I think it was because I did a car wash while they were still hot. Prior to this incident, I've had them for years and they had never cracked before.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you remember if you did a car wash before you noticed they had cracked? Mine recently cracked but I think it was because I did a car wash while they were still hot. Prior to this incident, I've had them for years and they had never cracked before.
Not exactly sure. I do a car wash on a weekly basis, sometimes every second day, so I don't exactly notice it ahaha.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know you said you're not good at doing custom work but if you can find someone to replace the glass with Lexan, you'll be good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.