Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot in this forum lately and the general opinion is that around $29000 for the TSX with Navi and $27000 or so for non-Navi is a great deal.

( I am talking about the MSRP, as different regions and different dealers have different actual prices, so I dont' bother with that for argument sake ;) )

I bought TSX and loving it. However, I don't know if it's a good deal. For about the same price, I could get R32, 3 series, Audi A4, Accord V6 (for less), G35, MX-6 (for much less), MB C-230 is about 3k more. The point is that there are whole lots of cars in that range of $29k - $32k area.

Some arguments are that for $29k, you get a lot of options that the other doesn't have. However, personally, I have never opened the moon roof of my cars. Never use the heated seats and don't care if it's leather. Those options don't buy me any happiness or extra benefict. Therefore, I am basically buying a 4 cyclinder Europe Accord with Navi for $29k.

Therefore, I really doubt if it is a good deal !!!

However, I will still do the same thing if I have to choose again. :)
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
I don't think most people here would say that those prices for the TSX are a "good deal," because most people define that in terms of relation to MSRP. If people pay MSRP or close to it, they usually don't think it's a "good deal."

I've often said that those prices ARE a good deal for the TSX -- partly just to be provocative :D but also because indeed I think you're getting a lot for your money, compared to other cars, including the ones you mention.

So.....some of this has to do with differing definitions of "good deal," some of it has to do with differing opinions about the cars.

P.S. For me, truly the TSX would have been a "good deal" even for a few thousand dollars more, because there isn't another car in that higher price range that I would find preferable to the TSX or even which would meet my needs as well. But I know I'm in a very small minority on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
larchmont said:
I don't think most people here would say that those prices for the TSX are a "good deal," because most people define that in terms of relation to MSRP. If people pay MSRP or close to it, they usually don't think it's a "good deal."

I've often said that those prices ARE a good deal for the TSX -- partly just to be provocative :D but also because indeed I think you're getting a lot for your money, compared to other cars, including the ones you mention.

So.....some of this has to do with differing definitions of "good deal," some of it has to do with differing opinions about the cars.

P.S. For me, truly the TSX would have been a "good deal" even for a few thousand dollars more, because there isn't another car in that higher price range that I would find preferable to the TSX or even which would meet my needs as well. But I know I'm in a very small minority on this.
I have to agree with you again here. Even for a few k more, I would have still get the TSX. As I said in another thread in here, even TL is equal price as the TSX, I would still get the TSX.

However, most of buddies after hearing the price that I pay. Most of their comments are: " You pay that much for a 4 cyclinder Honda ??!! "
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
8,663 Posts
Hmmm...if you add all the same options to an Accord, you'll reach about the same price as the TSX.. I think the V6 version...

But I paid MSRP for it and there were other cars that were cheaper, but none of them had the appeal that the TSX had.. I mean the interior is nice and clean, the exterior was eye catching, engine performed to my driving style...it was a match for me that none of the other cars I looked at had.. Granted I could do without leather seats (I want recaros dammit!! :D )...but I'm very happy with it :nod:
 

·
Orangeblood
Joined
·
136 Posts
Put it this way. About the only thing you can tag the TSX with is low torque. This is because its a 4 banger.

I wouldn't pay more than $30,000 for a car with a 4 cylinder engine, even one as nice as our TSX's.

But then again, I'm not gonna pay more than $30,000 for a car just because it has a 6 cylinder engine (a really sweet inline 6 like the 3.0 BMW maybe . . . . but then we're talkin about $40k and, by God, for 40k I want a V8 or a back seat that's useful with me in front). Have to throw in some size, features, intangibles.

Factor in the other things, features, intangibles and the TSX is one hell of a car for the money.
 

·
The Voice of Reason
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
I've considered the 3-series and the V6 Accord...

I use the sunroof occasionally to cool the car down. But I wouldn't pay extra for it. But it's standard on the 325iT (probably the one I'd buy), so no choice there, either. I also use the HIDs occasionally, at night to see things, but I would pay extra. If I had the choice, I'd order fabric seats (available on the M3 and 330i Performance Package) but they're not available on the 325, either, so I can't.

The Cars Direct price for a 325iT configured with the options the way I'd order it is $35,095. (Still with VINYL, not leather seating!) Less the $500 (the Cars Direct pound of flesh) and the $500 BMWCCA discount that's $34,095. The Cars Direct price for a TSX is $25,691, less the $500, that's $25,191 in my zip code.

Add in the Honda reliability, unavailable at any price on a BMW.

So is a 325iT with vinyl seats "worth" $8,904 more to me than a TSX?

No.

The "similar" market price for the Accord V6 EX-L comes out to $23,093. Considering the 6-speed transmission, (VW asks $1,253 for the 6-speed on the Passat) HIDs (BMW asks $635 but for BI-Xenons), stability control (Volvo wants $597 on the S40), strut tower brace, bigger brakes, additional year of warranty, and the perforated seat upholstery, is the TSX "worth" $2,098 more to me than the Accord?

Yes.

:mardi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TSX 'R' US said:
Hmmm...if you add all the same options to an Accord, you'll reach about the same price as the TSX.. I think the V6 version...

But I paid MSRP for it and there were other cars that were cheaper, but none of them had the appeal that the TSX had.. I mean the interior is nice and clean, the exterior was eye catching, engine performed to my driving style...it was a match for me that none of the other cars I looked at had.. Granted I could do without leather seats (I want recaros dammit!! :D )...but I'm very happy with it :nod:
That's it... " none of them had the appeal that the TSX had"

Sometimes, it is tough to quantify "appeal". Unlike a 6 cyclinders that you have a number to compare it with. For example, I know Accord (V6) is a better bargain. You get a whole lot more of car + option with less $$.

However, I don't like their steering wheel and their interior. I don't know what's wrong, but it's just something different between the interior of the Accord and the TSX.

Something that I can only lump it to "appeal" :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MarkPinTx said:
Put it this way. About the only thing you can tag the TSX with is low torque. This is because its a 4 banger.

I wouldn't pay more than $30,000 for a car with a 4 cylinder engine, even one as nice as our TSX's.

But then again, I'm not gonna pay more than $30,000 for a car just because it has a 6 cylinder engine (a really sweet inline 6 like the 3.0 BMW maybe . . . . but then we're talkin about $40k and, by God, for 40k I want a V8 or a back seat that's useful with me in front). Have to throw in some size, features, intangibles.

Factor in the other things, features, intangibles and the TSX is one hell of a car for the money.
Ferg mentioned that he got the 3-series for $29k from his previous posting. So, it is still possible, if people negotiate right or timing is right, to get the 3 series as the same price as TSX. Then, it's a I-6, 3 series as the same price as TSX. (Personally, I need to have FWD, but if I live in CA or never drive on snowy road, then I have to think about the whole proposition. ) Plus, the BMW paid for all the maintainence for the first 4 years/50k miles. (even oil change and normal wear...)
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
8,663 Posts
how bout HP/LB of the cars? I wonder if that has much to do with it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bob shiftright said:
I've considered the 3-series and the V6 Accord...

I use the sunroof occasionally to cool the car down. But I wouldn't pay extra for it. But it's standard on the 325iT (probably the one I'd buy), so no choice there, either. I also use the HIDs occasionally, at night to see things, but I would pay extra. If I had the choice, I'd order fabric seats (available on the M3 and 330i Performance Package) but they're not available on the 325, either, so I can't.

The Cars Direct price for a 325iT configured with the options the way I'd order it is $35,095. (Still with VINYL, not leather seating!) Less the $500 (the Cars Direct pound of flesh) and the $500 BMWCCA discount that's $34,095. The Cars Direct price for a TSX is $25,691, less the $500, that's $25,191 in my zip code.

Add in the Honda reliability, unavailable at any price on a BMW.

So is a 325iT with vinyl seats "worth" $8,904 more to me than a TSX?

No.

The "similar" market price for the Accord V6 EX-L comes out to $23,093. Considering the 6-speed transmission, (VW asks $1,253 for the 6-speed on the Passat) HIDs (BMW asks $635 but for BI-Xenons), stability control (Volvo wants $597 on the S40), strut tower brace, bigger brakes, additional year of warranty, and the perforated seat upholstery, is the TSX "worth" $2,098 more to me than the Accord?

Yes.

:mardi:
It won't be only the vinyl seats then in that case. It will be the 6 cyclinder vs. 4 cyclinder (torque, HR, handling of a RWD, feel of the car, BMW 4 years/50k maintainence free...etc...)

As for the Accord, we have to consider the 6 cyclinder vs. 4 cyclinder also.
The Accord 6 has much more torque than the TSX 4 and Accord is cheaper by about $2000.
 

·
The Voice of Reason
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
Diesel said:
It won't be only the vinyl seats then in that case. It will be the 6 cyclinder vs. 4 cyclinder (torque, HR, handling of a RWD, feel of the car, BMW 4 years/50k maintainence free...etc...)

As for the Accord, we have to consider the 6 cyclinder vs. 4 cyclinder also.
The Accord 6 has much more torque than the TSX 4 and Accord is cheaper by about $2000.
We currently have motorized (ahem) "devices" with 1-2-4-5-6 and 8 cylinders.

That Honda 4 is smoooooth!

Also the maintenance on the TSX is a "piece of cake" right up to 110,000 miles. I'd rather spend a few minutes and $$ changing an air filter than take the time to bring a car in to a stealer for "free" maintenance. IMO the main reason BMW offers the "free" maintenance is because they've seen too many returned at the end of a lease with most every warning light on the dash aglow! Once when I visited my Volvo dealer they were going nuts because they had just gotten one of these returned. "Oil change?" (Blank look.)


:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bob shiftright said:
We currently have motorized (ahem) "devices" with 1-2-4-5-6 and 8 cylinders.

That Honda 4 is smoooooth!

Also the maintenance on the TSX is a "piece of cake" right up to 110,000 miles. I'd rather spend a few minutes and $$ changing an air filter than take the time to bring a car in to a stealer for "free" maintenance. IMO the main reason BMW offers the "free" maintenance is because they've seen too many returned at the end of a lease with most every warning light on the dash aglow! Once when I visited my Volvo dealer they were going nuts because they had just gotten one of these returned. "Oil change?" (Blank look.)


:eek:
True. most of the dash warning lights are on when I sold my BMW .... :(
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top