Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired Regional Meet Leader
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question for those of you with big brake kits. I am currently looking at HT spec's AP Racing BBK and the Wilwood kit, but I was wondering how much clearance one would need in order to clear it with OEM wheels. Being on the east coast, I have to switch from winter to summer tires so I can't be running my Volk/Rays wheels all the time with a lower offset.

I had emailed Marcus about the clearance issue and he told me on his 949 racing wheels that they cleared because they were 17x9 +48 , and were meant for big calipers. I have Gram Lights 57s wheels +48, so what kind of spacer would I need? Marcus suggested at least 15mm. Does anyone know if those wheels I have can be used with a BBK? I know for sure in the winter time I'd have to run the 15mm spacer with OEM wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
This doesn't quite help you, but my OZ 18x8 +48's look to be able to slightly clear the Wilwood BBK.

But not all wheels are the same, different spoke patterns etc.

You might be able to be fine year round with your +15mm spacers with your oems and +48 Gram Lights though.

For what it's worth, I played it safe by running +10mm all around.

18x8 +48 wheels for summer, 17x7 +42 wheels for winter.

·
porkchop
1,390 Posts
i have the willwood 2psc bbk and in the winter i put my factory wheels on with snow tires. I have to use a 10mm spacer to fit them on. all you need is a 10mm spacer.

·
After 5-10 Guinness
592 Posts
Yeah i am in that dilema myself... just installed the wilwood bbk, fits with about 5 mm space between my alu summer 18x8.5 40 offset rims and the caliper, on the other hand, my 16"steel rim winters are an absolute no fit... more money to be spent come next winter... sigh....
Acc-Man

·
fresh to death
2,643 Posts
i had this problem before...i wanted to run stockies..but when i used a 10mm spacer, the stock wheel would still hit the caliper....but then again, im using a stoptech bbk...i guess its a bit bigger than the wilwood kit...i would say a 15mm would be safe, but since matiasneto says a 10mm is good, i guess you're good with that...just make sure its a spacer with built in studs(also make sure its a hubcentric spacer) ....or if you choose to use a regular slip on spacer, make sure you get extended studs

·
Tha Brown Mamba
29 Posts
I'm runnin Mugen GP's (18x7.5 +48) with the Wilwood BBK and it barely clears.

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
My wheels are 18 X 7.5 +55 and I need a 10mm spacer to clear my BBK.

If you already have 15mm spacers for your winter wheels, you could try mounting your Volks with the spacers and see how much extra clearance there is.

·
Boosting 24/7
3,085 Posts
i'm running Gram Lights 57F 18x8.5 +45 and those clear my Endless BBK with no problem. when i was running my oem wheels with the Endless, i ran a 10mm spacer and that cleared it.

·
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Placed an order for my Wilwood 12.6" 1-piece BBK today. Another question for those of you who've had the kit for a while, what rotors and pads did you use to replace after the ones that came with it wore out? Can you use other brands' rotors and pads?

Additionally, I reread through all the topics that had the "wilwood" and "bbk" in it. Some members complained of squealing noise (ians ended up selling his), and some people said they were fine. Granted some of these threads were back as far as 2008, but can any of you guys relate to their experience with loud brakes?

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
im looking into a bbk myself and im reading so much that i have a headache but there helping me choose which setup i want... goodluck

·
Tha Brown Mamba
29 Posts
I have the same kit and haven't changed out the pads or rotors since I got in Jan 2010. Main reason is I work overseas so I don't drive my car everyday, but when I do I most def put the BBK to the test. I have never had any squeaks and love the stopping power. Only complaint is that the caliper doesn't bite the whole rotor as I'm sure you've read in the reviews.

·
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still breaking the brakes in (no pun intended). Stopping power is noticeable immediately. Definitely did not have to press the brakes down as far to start feeling the brakes. Maybe cause the rotors and pads are still new too, but it's a really firm braking feel. Can't wait to push these brakes hard once they're bedded in!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts