Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 pearl white TSX that was garage kept by my aunt. Its beautiful except for the front bumper and a bit of the hood. Lots and lots of paint chips. None of it will buff out. All the chips are from salt on the roads she use to drive it on.

The rest of the car is flawless and beautiful but the bumper especially is driving me insane.

Is there anything affordable I can do? Ill post pictures later when I leave work.

·
Registered
833 Posts
touch up paint might be a way out for you but i would take it to a professional to get it done if there's a lot of pitting, the proper solution would be to have it resprayed at a professional honda/acura body shop, i just bought a new bumper cover and had it professionally color matched and painted along with my hood because of the same problem, the whole thing cost me about $1500, hope that helps

~De5

·
Registered
292 Posts
It depends I guess whether you want 'show' quality or not, and what you consider affordable.
Like I wouldn't consider $1500 affordable.

(EDIT- sorry I read the $1500 as being just paint- not the price of the new bumper as well)

Mine was the same when I first saw it in the dealers. They had a paint repair guy do the bumper and it came up fine- not flawless, but good. These mobile paint repair guys shouldn't cost more than a few hundred bucks at most.

Second option is buy a kit like a 'paint doctor kit' and have a go doing it yourself.

Third option is buying a compressor (if you haven't got one) a detail gun and paint, which you could buY for well under $500. Pull the bumper, prep and do it yourself.
It's not as hard as you might imagine, and you then have a skill which will bode well for the future.

This all depends on whether you have the time, space and motivation of course.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah 1500 is like... Lots of money.

Its only noticeable when your close to it. I do have a compressor and my dad is a former mechanic, restored two cars. He knows how to do a lot of that but it still seems kinda risky. He has painted cars (a 68 mustang) with his spray gun thing and it looks lovely.

I guess the trick would be to find my cars shade of paint and make it match.

Any suggestions for a paint doctor kit?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Not too hard and you wouldn't need much. White is also one of the easiest colors to spray.

Ask your pops how he did it and I'm sure he will give you a few pointers. Body work isn't hard, it's time consuming and tedious. A few hand tools and time and you can get it done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Not as long as you use the right color and clear. There isn't a metallic flake in it. Right?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Silvers and metallics are harder to match because of inconsistencies in the way it lays on different materials, metal vs a plastic bumper.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah 1500 is like... Lots of money.

Its only noticeable when your close to it. I do have a compressor and my dad is a former mechanic, restored two cars. He knows how to do a lot of that but it still seems kinda risky. He has painted cars (a 68 mustang) with his spray gun thing and it looks lovely.

Any suggestions for a paint doctor kit?
Any good paint shop will match the colour from the code on the compliance plate under the hood.
White is not a colour that fades so the match should be fine.
Get onto it with your dad and do it yourself. You'll have fun and once you've done it (even if you have to correct some mistakes), you'll have some good skills.

This the DrChip kit. (not paint doctor)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I select my color on drchip's website I get this message:
This is a tri-coat pearl / 3-stage color, meaning it was painted with a base coat, pearl coat and tinted clear coat. There is not a single color formula that exactly matches. However, the paint you receive should allow for a very close color match and yield far better results than using regular touch-up paint. Please check the box to acknowledge this.
Also how much would I need to buy? Here are pictures of my bumper... :/

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wow, she's pretty shot up isn't she... Frankly, with that much chipping I'd be tempted to pull it and respray the whole thing. You'd probably have to spend as much on enough touch up in a chip kit to buy the proper paint and a detail gun.

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
I believe the PWP is a two paint system not including clear. You have the white and pearl separate. Went to Sherwin Williams automotive paint to get a spray can for my grille and a couple other small parts and they give you two cans, white and pearl.

So painting PWP yourself on a larger scale can be tricky to match the rest of the car.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.