Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Great find JJ!

I find this hard to believe though
One more generation and you’ll probably have people who have absolutely no idea what a three-pedal car does
But then again, some don't now :laugh:

Also, is he serious with this comment?
And talking on a cell phone and sipping coffee — favorite pastimes of today’s drivers — is much easier without worrying about shifting gears.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Well, I don't know.

Even though I'm speaking of someone who has never had a MT car, I'd bet they're wrong -- not about current sales of course, but about the future trend. I mean, maybe if they look far enough into the future, yeah. But if they want to look that far into the future, maybe the whole idea of the-car-as-we-know-it will be history.

Just look at the people on these sites. Granted, our members aren't the average driver, obviously they're more into cars than most people in general and of course it's influenced by how nice the TSX's manual is. But I think our members do indicate something about the market, and we see a great deal of enthusiasm about MT here.

People should beware of predicting the demise of anything about any kind of product that has a signficant history behind it, especially when there's some enthusiastic current following of it. Some examples come to mind without even trying:

(1) Baseball stadiums. A couple of decades ago, everyone was scrambling to build the most modern thing, because the old types of stadiums were so yesterday.
And now? They're scrambling to build "retro" stadiums.

(2) Natural grass. You know, artificial turf is cheaper, it's easier to maintain, etc.
And now? More and more stadiums have the real stuff, and there have even been examples where they've ripped out the artificial turf from the newer stadiums and converted to the real stuff.

(3) Digital sound is the new thing, right? And the old kind is going to disappear?
Well, I understand that some people in the industry are taking another look at analog sound and trying to get advances in that -- because it has aspects that are superior to the new thing.
Or, maybe they just like analog better. Which is more than enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if next week we see an article predicting the demise of the "acoustic piano" and the "acoustic guitar."
Which BTW people like me call just "a piano" and "a guitar."

Edit: Nice going, Joker! :D

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they are serious in the comment. Fewer and fewer people are being taught on the manual transmission car.....And with the automatics that have the sport shift...why have a clutch?

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
it's the traffic....population will grow, lifestyle will be more dynamic, there will be more and more cars on the roads, jams, bumper-to-bumper traffic, MT is just not meant for this type of driving.

·
The Bay State
931 Posts
I'm not convinced. My last car was an automatic because my wife didn't want to drive a stick. I missed doing my own shifting and feeling like I was driving the car. I love this six speed and I still smile everytime I take it out and put it through it's paces. I test drove the auto but the joystick was not as much fun as using the three petals. At least not for me. Long live the stick!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts