Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of gas mileage is everyone getting?
I've had my TSX (automatic) for about eight months and I've been keeping track of the gas mileage for about the last five months.
Although I don't expect mileage like a Civic or something, this four-banger seems extremely thirsty.
Strictly city driving I average between 12.229 Litres per 100 KM and 17.447 Litres per 100 KM. Converted, that ranges between 19.13 miles per gallon and 13.41 miles per gallon respectively (if I've done the conversion correctly). I generally use 94 Octane gas. I try to keep the acceleration smooth and not race from traffic light to traffic light. The tires are properly inflated, etc. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
you sound like me, it doesn't seem to be getting very good gas mileage. I try to drive as slow as possible when city driving, never floor it or break hard. I haven't calculated what my mpg is though but it seems low, I will try and get a number for u to compare it with. What kind of mileage is everyone else getting?

·
Registered
14 Posts
i know that the tsx is loaded with a lot of options (butt warmers, climate control, vsa, etc) i'm thinking that maybe a lot of these extra features could be sucking up some of that gas, thus producing lower mpg than some of you'd like to be acheiving. just a thought though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get about 425 miles when the needle reaches empty, and that is about 25-35 miles after the light comes on. I have not worked the numbers yet. I only use Chevron gas 91+ and the car has less than 800 miles on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
gsclifton said:
I get about 425 miles when the needle reaches empty, and that is about 25-35 miles after the light comes on. I have not worked the numbers yet. I only use Chevron gas 91+ and the car has less than 800 miles on it.
:eek: :eek: i'm definetely not getting that, I live in a suburb of chicago there is a stop sign on just about every block what kind of driving do u do?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
silverorblue said:
What kind of gas mileage is everyone getting?
I've had my TSX (automatic) for about eight months and I've been keeping track of the gas mileage for about the last five months.
Although I don't expect mileage like a Civic or something, this four-banger seems extremely thirsty.
Strictly city driving I average between 12.229 Litres per 100 KM and 17.447 Litres per 100 KM. Converted, that ranges between 19.13 miles per gallon and 13.41 miles per gallon respectively (if I've done the conversion correctly). I generally use 94 Octane gas. I try to keep the acceleration smooth and not race from traffic light to traffic light. The tires are properly inflated, etc. Any suggestions?
Here are some things to consider and possibly a solution lies within?

What we know:
- According to Acura and the EPA (US models) your mileage should be around 22mpg City and 31mpg Hwy (U.S. Models).
- You are using 94 Octane fuel.
- You keep the acceleration smooth.
- The tires are properly inflated.
- You are averaging between 13.41 mpg - 19.13 mpg in the city.

Obviously there are lot of variables when it comes to gas mileage.
First, you live in BC Canada where the temperature is somewhat cold but not as cold as the interior. Nonetheless, relative to Arizona, you are cold.

Items to think about:
- How long do you warm your car up before driving off?
- When you drive around town, do you tend to stay in the vehicle often with the engine and heater idling frequently? (i.e.; visiting fast food drive throughs and eating in the car, visiting drive through bank tellers or dry cleaners and waiting to be served, etc.)
- Are you using the heated seats on a regular basis?
- How are the driving conditions, much rain or snow?
- Are you running snow tires?
- How much "junk" is in your trunk?
- You've owned your vehicle for about 8 months, have you changed the oil yet, if so are you sure it was 5w-30 (or is it different for Canada)?
- Tire pressure is always best checked before you drive off, are you using an accurate gauge and if so what pressure settings are you using? (U.S. recommendations are: 32PSI Frt / 30PSI Rear)
- Did you properly perform the recommended breakin procedure by varying the speed during the first 500 miles (804 km) and not exceeding 70mph (112 km/h)?
- Have you taken the car on any long distance drives and compared it's highway mileage?

I don't know specifically issue you are facing, but you may want to think about the above items. Since I am very compulsive about maintaining fuel mileage data (I do it every time I gas up) :rolleyes: here are my numbers. Keep in mind my TSX is a 6-speed manual, no drivetrain mods (yet) and should be getting slightly less fuel mileage (21mpg City / 29mpg Hwy) compared to your automatic.

Currrently I have about 3200 miles on the car. When I first picked it up in July, my 2nd full tank with 91 Octane (that's our highest), was 19.4mpg mostly moderate driving in town. Later, it went as high as 23.97mpg in mixed city/hwy driving (about 70% city vs 30 hwy @ ~70-75mph). The lowest in town mileage I've recorded is 18.5mpg. On a recent long distance trip to Las Vegas (+300 miles) I averaged 25.59 mpg driving @ ~75-80 mph and hitting speeds as high as 110-120mph (for short stretches on isolated sections) :eek:

My '99 Honda Odyssey used to kill me with exceptionally poor mileage of 9-13mpg in city driving. The best highway mileage it ever got was 23.5mpg even though it was rated at 18City / 26Hwy. But it was HUGH, heavy (~4300 lbs) and poor aerodynamically compared to a TSX.

Bottom line, realize you are dealing with many variables here, look at everything and re-evaluate. Keep in mind that no two cars are ever identical and you may possibly have a legitimate mechanical problem. But first eliminate all the obvious things and go from there.

Sorry for the long post and hope this helps?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hip, thanks for the information. Many of the things you mention I do, the others I'll keep in mind and try to incorporate. What are your thoughts about the 94 Octane gas? Do you think I should use 91 Octane instead?
I've taken the car on a short highway trip and I did get much better mileage.
Glad to see others input, my experience seems somewhat in line with others.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
silverorblue said:
hip, thanks for the information. Many of the things you mention I do, the others I'll keep in mind and try to incorporate. What are your thoughts about the 94 Octane gas? Do you think I should use 91 Octane instead?
I've taken the car on a short highway trip and I did get much better mileage.
Glad to see others input, my experience seems somewhat in line with others.
Here are my thoughts on the 94 Octane , I'm jealous and wish it were available here!

Actually, I've heard of certain conditions where too much octane can be more detrimental than beneficial. Ususally in higher altitude areas, octane is reduced to prevent pre-ignition. Although I don't believe you are in that situation.

But in the interest of science and for a comparison, you might run a couple of tankfulls of 91 octane and compare the mileage with the 94 blend.

You didn't mention, and I forgot to ask, are you driving primarily in hilly areas? Also, how many miles does your TSX have? If you are close to 10,000 miles (16093 km) you may want to examine your air filter. Depending on where you've driven, the newer filters can clog faster than you might expect. Honda precoats them with an oil to help trap particulates, this improves filtering efficiency but can reduce mileage.

Remove the air filter and look through it while holding it to a light or the sun. The media should appear translucent, some light passing through. If it looks really dark or black, you may want to invest in a new filter?

Either way good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are hilly areas where I drive but they're moderate hills at most. I don't think that's a significant factor.
I have about 8000 km approx 5000 miles. Time to bring it in for the complimentary oil change.
I'll have to get really motivated to get under the hood to check the air filter. It's a little nippy out there these days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mcknight said:
:eek: :eek: i'm definetely not getting that, I live in a suburb of chicago there is a stop sign on just about every block what kind of driving do u do?
I fat fingered the post. I meant 325 miles not 425. I live in North Dallas and mainly drive on the HWY with about 25% city driving.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm in Toronto and with 3000 km on the car, I've consistently gotten between 9.0 - 9.5 L / 100km (24-26 mpg) after the first two tanks, which were city in break-in period. (Even then, about 10L/100km).

I drive 70% highway (but with some stop-n-go), with 91 octane, seat heaters on practically all the time. The weather's been hovering around +5 to -5C for the last month, but not too much snow. I drive fairly conservatively, shifting at 2500-3000 rpm most of the time. AT. I haven't tried 94 octane.

You didn't mention which tranmission you have. The AT gets better mileage because of the taller final gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok we filled up last sunday with gas and drove on the highway for half and city for half. We figured out acurately the gas mileage was about 16 MPG. so we are going to call the dealer and see what they think and possibly take it in. Hopefully they will find a problem and fix it. And hopefully it will take overnight and they will give us a TL or something :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.