Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Roger
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry this might have come up already..but does any one know what type of gas is recommended... i believe i read 91 but can we put higher or lower gas?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Octane 91 is the minimum... I wouldn't go lower... I fill up with Octane 93 cause there are no gas stations around me that carry Octane 91

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
I fill up with Chevron Supreme 92 octane... Actually, my TSX hasn't drank anything else.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I use 89 octane (BP, Phillips 66/Conoco, Mobil/Esso), since there isn't 91 around here.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
eeh im a bad owner...Car runs fine on 89 octane as well...Dad filled it w/ regular once, felt a little underpowered, but ran w/ out knocking or anything... For the most Part Ill Run it 91 and up... But if Im low on cash, no real problem w/ 89, I At least try to keep it half and half

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
-phase- said:
i agree..91 octane if i can..but if im low on cash..89 once in a while cant hurt too much right?
When I got my TSX almost two years ago I used to put in 93 octane, but during Summer 2004, I switched to 89 octane. Gas prices went up and my budget wasn't that high to keep paying for fuel and I travel a lot during the summers, so every penny counts. I haven't noticed any problems with 89. I wouldn't use 87 octane though....

·
would you be my neighbor?
243 Posts
i use premium... i think thats 92 around here

·
Registered
139 Posts
Revenent said:
I fill up with Chevron Supreme 92 octane... Actually, my TSX hasn't drank anything else.
what is your fuel consumption figures?

I got mine for 15.2L/100km for city driving. using 94 octane. pretty much away from the manufactory figures.

·
13,780 Posts

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
the ECU will compensate for lower grade gas. Yes, it will prodice the most power and get the best MPG with the premium fuel, but it wont HURT anything physically to run the lower grades.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
When lower or using un-recommended specified octane rating fuel. The ECU will retard ignition timing which prevents detonation and pinging. These 2 will no doubts cause engine damage. Whilst retarded ignition timing also means a reduction in power output, in some extremes up to 25% until when correct octane is re-detected. The ECU will slowly "un-retard" and return to specified performance levels.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
oh...and if something goes wrong with your car and the dealership finds that you're using an unrecommended octane gas (so they can blame it on that), your warranty is useless.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Noel said:
When lower or using un-recommended specified octane rating fuel. The ECU will retard ignition timing which prevents detonation and pinging. These 2 will no doubts cause engine damage. Whilst retarded ignition timing also means a reduction in power output, in some extremes up to 25% until when correct octane is re-detected. The ECU will slowly "un-retard" and return to specified performance levels.
:nod: :nod:
100% correct.

old car won't do this but u will hear the knocking right away.

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
oh...and if something goes wrong with your car and the dealership finds that you're using an unrecommended octane gas (so they can blame it on that), your warranty is useless.

I will bet youmoney the owners manual says its okay to use lowr grade gasoline.

·
13,780 Posts
JoeB18R said:
I will bet youmoney the owners manual says its okay to use lowr grade gasoline.
Pay up.

Page 184 (Acura TSX 2004):

"Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause a persistent, heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage."

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Revenent said:
Pay up.

Page 184 (Acura TSX 2004):

"Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause a persistent, heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage."
and thus will void parts of your warranty...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts