Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 TSX automatic 120,000miles
My car is getting super low gas mileage (14mpg). Not aggressive driving. Just a lot of city driving and traffic.
New spark plugs.
91 octane fuel.
Oil just changed.
Tire alignment done.
Tire pressure at 40psi (aftermarket wheels).
Air filter changed.
No check engine lights
Anyone with suggestion for fix?

Just jacked up the front of my car today and spun my wheels to see if there is any resistance. There was not much resistance but notice this click sound. Is this normal?

Here is a link to the click. https://youtu.be/6xG8IFA5le8

·
Registered
413 Posts
OK so I'm assuming that's your front tire in the video? If so, no, that's normal because it's locked and connected to the driveshaft in Park. My winter gas mileage goes down 10% every year vs. summer because of winter blend gas, cold temps, weather, etc. So if 14 is around 10% off your normal MPG over the summer, I'd deem it as normal but that is really really low to begin with. My TSX gets shitty MPG in the city but not that bad lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Good to know that the noise is not the problem. 14mpg is not 10% less so I'm still trying to figure it out. I live in Ca now so Idk how that would affect gas mileage in the winter. If there are any other suggestions please don't hesitate to post.

·
Registered
539 Posts
How does your delivery of power feel across the rev band (drop in power, hesitation, slow to rev, etc...)? Any extra smoke/soot from the tail pipes? Any other mod, loose spark plugs, or loose spark plug wires? How is you hwy mpgs compared to city?

·
Registered
241 Posts
How are you calculating your MPG? A lot of excessive fuel consumption concerns I see with customers usually come down to driving habits. For example a lot of cold starts, short trips, city driving, being heavy on the accelerator. Although you do not have ant CEL, one thing to take into consideration is the possibility of primary and secondary oxygen sensor getting "lazy" and possibly causing the PCM to have the engine run rich.. The only real way to see if thats the case is to see the cross counts with a scan tool, but it is also something to take into consideration.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you're just checking the mpg off the computer after a new fill up and all you have done is start, stop, city driving it's probably skewed towards 0 mpg so it will read low.

Are you getting the same mileage out of each tank? Better way to gauge efficiency.

I'm getting a slightly lower reading during this winter myself, but about the same mileage per tank. It is lower though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does your delivery of power feel across the rev band (drop in power, hesitation, slow to rev, etc...)? Any extra smoke/soot from the tail pipes? Any other mod, loose spark plugs, or loose spark plug wires? How is you hwy mpgs compared to city?
Power feels the same. No smoke. No mods. Had this issue before changing my spark plugs and then changed the spark plugs and still have the same problem. city-14mpg. hwy-19mpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're just checking the mpg off the computer after a new fill up and all you have done is start, stop, city driving it's probably skewed towards 0 mpg so it will read low.

Are you getting the same mileage out of each tank? Better way to gauge efficiency.

I'm getting a slightly lower reading during this winter myself, but about the same mileage per tank. It is lower though.
I am getting around 200 miles per tank. This is not the first time I got this amount per tank.

·
After 5-10 Guinness
592 Posts
I do not mean to point fingers, OR be the better knower, bla bla bla....
Do you use more of your electrical goodies in winter? seat heater ALL the time, A/C on alot/ALL the time etc...??
Does your battery tend to die, every 3-4 yrs? (Just asking)
Are your A/s or winter tire the same dimensions as your summers?? Mine are a number smaller, 17's, lighter, narrower, more/better grip...kg/cm2 higher (Pure winter treads..)
Keeping the front (all) windows clean, it helps against the fogging over/moisture.. a/c filter clean and/or new??
Open the window/roof a crack... don't turn heater on till the water temp gauge rises.. it's better for the engine too.. it's the same water, moving through a larger circulation when the valve/heater is open/on... so a smaller amount of water being circulated/heated through the engine warms faster, and the block warms faster too... the amount of water (temp) will not cause any thermal stress when you then do open the valve/heater..
Sit on a blanket till the car warms, or for short trips take it back inside with you.. not to the mall or theatre..,.
It's a good thing to have in winter anyway...
Kid seats/mags/rags/sport bags... git-em-out...
etc etc etc...

ACC-Man

Oh, and engines run better in colder/cooler weather.. the air is better, can better be satiated with fuel..

just my $0.02/litre

·
Registered
16 Posts
2006 TSX automatic 120,000miles
My car is getting super low gas mileage (14mpg). Not aggressive driving. Just a lot of city driving and traffic.
New spark plugs.
91 octane fuel.
Oil just changed.
Tire alignment done.
Tire pressure at 40psi (aftermarket wheels).
Air filter changed.
No check engine lights
Anyone with suggestion for fix?

Just jacked up the front of my car today and spun my wheels to see if there is any resistance. There was not much resistance but notice this click sound. Is this normal?

Here is a link to the click.
Have your brake man check for stuck calipers - you’ll hear a grinding sound and actually feel resistance. This is a problem with other Honda’s as well.

Doing so got me out of the high ‘teens’ and back into the low 20s (combined), but I used to get better than 30 combined (and 42 highway at 65 mph) when I lived in Florida.

Someone on another thread suggested cleaning or replacing the primaryO2 sensor; that’s my next move.

I would go further and replace the catalytic converter AND all the O2 sensors.

Nothing left to do...I changed my plugs and had the valves adjusted 1,000 miles ago, and put new tires on it - no change.

High mileage engines lose compression, and that’s what I’ll check next; I have 172k on the clock.

Frustrating because the car otherwise runs extremely well and everything works!

It’s an ‘06 Auto with NAV. An identical one with 89,000 miles that had been donated and landed in a junkyard in Atlanta just sold for$4k...I wish I’d bought it, zi could have used it - or mine - as a ‘parts’ article. Same color, too.

Restoring mine to give to my son as his first ride next year.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My recommendation before you start swapping everything, is to (1) put a scan tool on your car to analyze the readings. If nothing stands out, take your car to a shop and have them analyze it's performance.

I would do that before throwing parts at the car & hoping you stumble across the solution. You don't have to have them do the repair, but definitely have them find the culprit, even if you have to pay for an analysis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts