Acura TSX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I am currently running 35 PSI for all 4 of my tires. i have 17" X 7 with 215/50/17 tires and i was wondering whats the best PSI for me to run? im thinking 24 psi front and 40 psi rear?

Also, would it be better to just use my stock RSX rims? they are stock 205/55/16 and are 37lbs

PS
I will share my run with you guys

EDIT: 04/23/11 I went today and they closed due to rain! such BS

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Dude can't wait to see what time you get man :thumbsup:

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Out of all honesty, I don't think you'll see much of a difference. I'd just run it like you drive it normally. I usually get 15.5 on my 1/4 mile the way I drive it everyday

·
-
1,597 Posts
hey I am currently running 35 PSI for all 4 of my tires. i have 17" X 7 with 215/50/17 tires and i was wondering whats the best PSI for me to run? im thinking 24 psi front and 40 psi rear?

Also, would it be better to just use my stock RSX rims? they are stock 205/55/16 and are 37lbs

PS
I will share my run with you guys

That's great that you are going to the track to run your TSX.

I would take your rear tires up to 50PSI, empty out your entire car & trunk, spare, tools, jack at the track, less than 1/2 a tank of gas.
Bring a tire pressure gauge & some basic tools.

As for the front tire PSI, the 60' times will tell you what is best.
Typically, lowering air pressure on street tires makes zero difference.

Don't worry about your reaction times & cutting a good light. Just focus on the 60' times & your eyes glued to the tach.
Your 1/4 mile ET is really a function of the launch. The 1/4 mile MPH is really an indicator of your HP.
Do not spin your tires off the line.
If your tires are spinning that means the clock is ticking but you aren't going anywhere. :)

Keep your hood up in the staging lanes & in the pits to cool off the engine & intake manifold.
Removing the IM cover & tossing on a bag of ice would actually be a good idea.

Have fun, check out the other FWD cars on the track. You will quickly see who can drive & who can't.

Going to the track really separates the posers & the guys who are focused on performance.
I'm afraid body kits, window visors, LED's & JDM conversion parts won't help here!! :laugh: Just kidding!!

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to Rock Falls, WI.

My plan is to take out the passenger front seat and rear seat, take out the floor mats, take out all books and CD and everything laying around and take out spare tire. I already took off my IM cover, so all i have to do is just lay a pack of ice on top of where it use to be? never really thought of that but will try and hopefully it doesnt fall off, lol

i also took out my spoiler so i wont look like a daily "ricer". any advice on what RPM i should launch at? if not, i guess ill start at 4k and work my way up to 6k and see whats best for launching... 6k may seem a bit high though so well see.

i guess ill start off with 25 psi front and 50 rear, im looking for at least 15.5

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am going to Rock Falls, WI.

My plan is to take out the passenger front seat and rear seat, take out the floor mats, take out all books and CD and everything laying around and take out spare tire. I already took off my IM cover, so all i have to do is just lay a pack of ice on top of where it use to be? never really thought of that but will try and hopefully it doesnt fall off, lol

i also took out my spoiler so i wont look like a daily "ricer". any advice on what RPM i should launch at? if not, i guess ill start at 4k and work my way up to 6k and see whats best for launching... 6k may seem a bit high though so well see.

i guess ill start off with 25 psi front and 50 rear, im looking for at least 15.5
You're worried about looking like a daily "ricer" but you're removing front and rear seats and using an ice pack on your IM on a car you might get mid 15's out of? Do yourself a favour and leave your seats in and the ice home and just run the car like you would on the street. That's what I would do, don't worry about pulling your seats and everything. If you start pulling seats you'll end up damaging something on your DD for .01 second off a 1/4 mile time, totally not worth it.

·
-
1,597 Posts
Agreed, don't remove your seats or spoiler or anything else that makes you car look goofy.

IMO, the ice on your TSX intake manifold is a good idea since the TSX intake gets so hot. Wrap the bag of ice in an old towel to catch any water dripping & make sure it doesn't interfere with the cooling fans. Only in the pits & staging lanes of course. Remove the ice pack when making a pass.

Since your car is an automatic, you won't have much choice in launch RPM. Left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas.
Release the left foot on the last yellow. Don't spin the tires. The track with street tires will be much slippier than on the street.
"Stalling" your stock torque converter at the line will get your trans hot & you will only be able to get the engine so high in RPM but that's the best way to get your automatic TSX to move.
Try a few launches like this on the street.

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts
+1 on leaving in the seats. Although the risk is low, if by chance any accident happens, you are without any airbags in your car (with the passenger seat out).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with the others.....don't remove seats! Unless your close to setting the all-time TSX record and are looking for that last .001 sec........it looks foolish.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ i thought removing the passenger seat only negates the passenger air bag, and not the entire system? i know it will probably look goofy with just a drivers seat, but i dont really care what other people will think cause im only helping myself temporarily. and besides i got window tint so who cares what it looks on the inside. :laugh:

im already at a disadvantage to begin with considering most of the other cars over there will be around 2500lbs or maybe less, anything to reduce weight will satisfy me, and i dont care if i only ran .2 seconds faster with 200 lbs removed, i will be happy with a 15.8 vs 16.0

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts
^ i thought removing the passenger seat only negates the passenger air bag, and not the entire system?
Any single airbag sensor missing will disable the entire system on the TSX. This is the reason not many people run aftermarket seats and steering wheels.

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
A little off-topic but this brings back so many memories of my youth in snowta. Driving to Rock Falls without seats in large packs of loud import cars. We were cop magnets, especially to the WI popo. One time I made the drive on my F2/F3 CBR in full race leathers (required) on like a 100F summer day. I'm pretty sure I lost 20lbs on the drive. Totally sucked, except I took home the "Fastest Machine" trophy for setting the day's fastest time.

Back on topic. I agree with the others, at least for the drive. If you're going with any friends, you can take your seats out and spare tire etc. and set them on the grass and your friends can keep an eye on them. The girls never really cared to watch the races anyways, so this was perfect for them. They just sat on the seats and chatted all day.

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts
and would the airbags work again when im done for the day and put it back together?
Yes, move the seat either all the way (back or forward), remove 2 bolts, and then move it all the way the opposite direction. DISCONNECT the battery, wait AT LEAST 5mins, then remove the remaining 2 bolts and disconnect the airbag and power seat harness(es).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.