Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
This is my first post and a brief introduction. I'm from the small island of Singapore in SE Asia, and am driving a 2003 Accord Euro (not R!) for 2 yrs. My model is a 2 litre model... i think its a k20a engine, other than that I think its pretty similar to the models that u people have.

So far, I've only installed 18 inch wheels & a K&N drop in filter. Would have wanted to drop the car, body & camber kit, fuel mgmt but resrticted financially! The car has already cost me a bomb... paid close to USD 60,000 for the car! How i wish I was living elsewhere and use the excess cash on performance upgrade :drool1:

Nonetheless, I'm very satisfied with the car in terms of comfort, performance (could be better though!) & looks. Any of you people from around here so that we're able to share our resources - workshops, parts etc?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site! :wavey:
Awesome color choice :nod:

and those wheels :thumbsup:

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
welcome eurosig :wavey:

how's about some pics ? ;)

heh heh Singapore....you can drive all round it in like 15 mins , right ? :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Certificate Of Entitlement ... Costs alot of money in Singapore, more than what the car is worth most of the time and this is just a Government redtape to discourage people from owning cars.

Welcome ... Arrow is also from Singapore and drives a CL7 Euro R. You can share resources with him much easier on local support. While in general on any questions, this board will cater much to your well required needs.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Welcome to the club, EuroSg.:wavey:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! The wheels I have on have seen better days under my hands! The 35 profile tyres are abit low for my kerb clipping style of driving (often while parking) :banghead:

The length of Singapore's about 40 km so it takes about 1/2 hr to get from east to west. The roads are in excellent condition though, ideal for bodykits, & lowered rides. Thanks to the astronomical taxes that we pay! I think its about 150% duty.

On top of that, I only get to own the car for 10 ten years! After that, I have the choice of scrapping it & get back about 5K, or renew the certificate of entitlement for more $$$ (Bloodsuckers!).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone here who has taken your car to the track? I'm thinking of driving up north to have a go at Malaysia's Sepang circuit but not sure what sort of wear & tear could happen to the car. Other than tyres & brakes, what other "damage" to the car would i expect? Not considering crashes though.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
EuroSg said:
Anyone here who has taken your car to the track? what sort of wear & tear could happen to the car. Other than tyres & brakes, what other "damage" to the car would i expect?
I have a saying, one intensive day on the track equates to approximately 6 months daily driving of "traditional wear and tear". If you're serious about bring your car on the track, you need to look at just about every aspect of the car in preparation, preventative maintenance and after-use maintenance otherwise you're bound to have problems somewhere on the other.

Some of the following off the top of my head would be required without considering modifications in SEA weather/ambient conditions. These need to best replaced before attending and immediately after attending.

Tyres = I suggest using OEM rims with some R compound tyres, running street tyres will see you overheating very quickly in 3-4 laps not to mention premature tyre wear. You'd end up having no fun when you're trying to just keep the car on the track.

Brakes = High temperature compound brake pads cannot be forgotten, the speeds and braking power you exert especially after the main straight will quickly bring your OEM pads to spongy attributes because they're not designed for the heat and driving style.

Lubrications = Engine oil viscosity, transmission, brake, clutch fluids, radiator coolant. These all need to match the required high revving, high heat capabilities to allow optimal factory cooling to work and prevent engine, drivetrain damage.

If you're serious, I can recommend you some basic trackwork gear in preparation for safe and fun day out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
DEar Noel

Excellent advice Noel, my hat off to you.

Am also from Singapore and have done races up north in Malaysia. Your extimated to the wear on track to road is about right. If you are going to race with road tyres make sure that the tyre pressure is about 38-40psi and brake fade will come in about the 5-7 lap if pushing about 85-90%.

Euro Sg take heed from Noel as race preparation is very important. You don,t want to take a flight home, that will be nasty. The Sepang track has very long straights and very wide corners. It is going to take a number or round to feel and experience the right lines.

Best regards
Vonarx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dear Noel

Dont bash your head or else we get muddy advise then, hahahaha. It is ok as ia have not been very active in this forum, only put my 2 cents when needed. By the way, A prosperous 2005 to all of TSX club members.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice! Well, gotta give it a hard think about heading for the track now. Could u send me the the basic trackwork gear.

Where do u get your car serviced vonarx? Have you tried Pasir Gudang and are there any differences in terms of wear & tear?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Tyres = R compound tyres, also known as semi-slicks ... Road legal because of rain channels. Plenty of good choices here, some of the common ones;

- Yokohama Advan A032R, Advan A048.
- Bridgestone Potenza RE540S, Potenza RE55S.
- Dunlop Formula R D-01J, Direzza DJ-02Z.

Brakes = Non carbon or ceramic compound, you don't want to kill your rotors.

- Anything from 300 degrees celcuis - 800/900 degrees celcuis working temperature; Endless NA-R Pads matched with Endless Truth Racing DOT4 Brake Fluid.

Lubrications = Plenty to choose from, whatever that is available.

- Engine oil; Castrol Formula R 0W40, Motul 300V Chronosport 10W40, Mobil 1 Gold 10W30.

- Transmission; Castrol Syntrans 75W-90 APL5-G, Honda OEM grade is fine.

- Clutch fluids; Endless Truth Racing DOT4, same as brake fluid.

Radiator coolant; Honda OEM grade is fine, premixed preferable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dear EuroSG

My car is service by a few companies BM workshop at queensway or in JB. It is no rocket science when changing oil and filter. Most of the time i will instruct them what i want to be done to the car and type of oils.

As for Pasir Gudang it is very good technical track which you will learn that top speed is not everything correct lines, gear ratio and setup is improtant. The Proton Saga are running from 1min 59 to 2min 01sec round that track. It is a good fund track to train. In Sepang it is too long so have alot of time to look at trees, flowers.etc etc, on the straights

A word of Caution, the track has not been surfaced for the last 8 years, condition of certain corners are sometimes a bit sandy and the surface is VERY ABRASIVE. I advise Do Not Use soft street tyres, you will chew it up after 15 laps. Harder compound are ok since you are learning the corners and track. Be carful on turn 3 as it is a reducing corner very tricky as turn 2 is 5th gear flatout corner.

I hope the above details offer better prep for yor trip there.

If you have further details you want to know a little more you could drop me a line at my e-mail [email protected].

Have fun and be safe at all times

Regards
Vonarx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Noel & Vonarx for the tips. Seems like i'll need to do quite a major service prior to the track session. Was thinking of just cruising the track without doing all these prep. May just play spectator for the first time round then.

Vonarx, where do u go for service intervals that require change of belts or diagnostics etc? Because the car is not brought in by the agent, I've been going around trying out workshops but found that they r only good at providing basic servicing... not even sure if they got part support for the car.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts