Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK Listen Up as I have some interesting news.

My supplier has a number of the TPMS systems that I installed in my TSX on sale if I agree to purchase in quantity.

They normally would sell for $199, but if I order 20 or more I can get them for about $30 less or $167.

Check around and you will find these type of units easily sell for over $200. If anyone is interested or wants to know more about the install you can refer back to my posts at:
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1001

I need to order at least 20 units but I think I have enough people outside this forum willing to buy so I probably can order if we get 10 people here to sign on.

Feel free to PM or send me a message if you have any questions not answered here?

If you are interested just add your name to the list and submit:
1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not sure why no one has responded to this yet but that's ok if you're not interested. When these become standard in the next year, you may feel differently?

FYI -

I'm begining negotiations with the city of Phoenix to outfit these in all their official vehicles. I'm starting with Police and emergency vehicles first. I was shocked to learn that none have anything like this. The cops I spoke with today, were very enthusiastic about it, especially when I showed it to them in my TSX. :)

BTW, they liked the TSX... a lot. I did kid them about making it into a patrol car and they laughed. But they also said, they wouldn't shed any tears to see the Crown Vic replaced.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I'd love to have it in my car, but I don't relish the installation!

(Even if I had it done for me.)

I'd guess that's it for a lot of others too.

Aside from that, I'd gladly pay $167 or $199 or even $299.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
larchmont said:
I'd love to have it in my car, but I don't relish the installation!

(Even if I had it done for me.)

I'd guess that's it for a lot of others too.

Aside from that, I'd gladly pay $167 or $199 or even $299.
Larch,

Say it isn't so! Really, the install isn't difficult at all.

I could put together a step by step set of instructions specifically for the TSX and show you how it's done.

The module connects with 3 wires, one to +12v (switched), +12v (constant) and ground. The only part you need to remove is the "A" pillar and when you see how easy it is, you'll be amazed.

The sensors are installed at any tire shop and easily mount in with no difficulty.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
It's not even mainly that, it's the fear of "side effects" -- like about how I was so concerned (for no logical reason, I guess) that getting my center-stack lights fixed might create rattles -- AND IT DID!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
larchmont said:
It's not even mainly that, it's the fear of "side effects" -- like about how I was so concerned (for no logical reason, I guess) that getting my center-stack lights fixed might create rattles -- AND IT DID!
No problem, let me know if you change your mind? ;)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
I'll have to look into this a bit more over the weekend...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
After doing some research for some proposals I found this interesting info from the NHTSA website.

Good info, but lots to wade through, also very political ...

Here is some relevant statistical data I found interesting:

"...data indicate that only about 30 percent of drivers of
passenger cars, 34 percent of drivers of pick-up trucks, SUVs, and vans with P -metric tires, and 48 percent of drivers of pick-up trucks, SUVs, and vans with either LT or flotation tires claim that they check the inflation level in their tires at least once a month."

"C. Percentage of Motor Vehicles With Under-Inflated Tires
During the tire pressure survey, NASS-CDS crash investigators
measured tire pressure on each vehicle coming into the gas station and compared the measured pressures to the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tire pressure. They found that about 36 percent of passenger cars and about 40 percent of light trucks had at least one tire that was at least 20 percent below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure. About 26 percent of passenger cars and 29 percent of light trucks had at least one tire that was at least 25 percent below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure. The agency notes those levels of under-inflation because they are the threshold levels at which the low tire pressure warning telltale would have to be illuminated in the two alternatives proposed in this NPRM"

Table III-1
Percent of Vehicles That Would Get a Warning
Assuming a Direct Measurement System

--------------------------- Passenger Cars---- Light Trucks
20% or more Below Placard----36%-----------------40%
25% or more Below Placard----26%-----------------29%
30% or more Below Placard----20%-----------------20%

6 psi or more Below Placard----39%-----------------46%
10 psi or more Below Placard--20%------------------25%

Excellent PwrPoint presentation:
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-01/SAE/SAE2003/Scott.pdf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Absolutely interested! Please let me know what happens with this GB!

Thanks!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
My interest is starting to rise on this device. One question, when I change tires, would I need new sensors or do I just take them out of the old tires?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I might be interested in this device.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TSX 'R' US said:
My interest is starting to rise on this device. One question, when I change tires, would I need new sensors or do I just take them out of the old tires?
Glad you asked... they are easily removed when the tire is off the rim. The sensors attach to included special valve stems via a "hollow" screw (yes, chrome stems are available).

Each sensor module is self-contained (sealed for life) with a lithium-ion battery that will last between 5-7 years.

The system enables you to "re-oriente" the tires after a rotation so it correctly displays data for the corresponding tire location. I can post pics and instructions if anyone is interested?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
hip said:
Glad you asked... they are easily removed when the tire is off the rim. The sensors attach to included special valve stems via a "hollow" screw (yes, chrome stems are available).

Each sensor module is self-contained (sealed for life) with a lithium-ion battery that will last between 5-7 years.

The system enables you to "re-oriente" the tires after a rotation so it correctly displays data for the corresponding tire location. I can post pics and instructions if anyone is interested?
Pics are kewl... Are they different ones than on your self install thread?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I am interested but I have different rims for my winter tires and I would also like to monitor them. Can I buy more sensors or do I have to have them switched over every time I change my tires?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Dan Martin said:
I am interested but I have different rims for my winter tires and I would also like to monitor them. Can I buy more sensors or do I have to have them switched over every time I change my tires?
That's a good question...I'm curious about that too since I might get winter tires for my stock rims and some summer tires for new rims..

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dan Martin said:
As previously posted, the sensors are easily removable and should not be a problem to swap out from one wheel set to another. I am in process of obtaining pricing for individual sensors, so I will let you know the cost of extras.

Here are some pix of the sensors and valves.

Attachments

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
How's that group buy going? Still going on?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TSX 'R' US said:
How's that group buy going? Still going on?
So far you're the "group." Maybe if I advertise it as a performance device more people will want it? :laugh:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
hip said:
So far you're the "group." Maybe if I advertise it as a performance device more people will want it? :laugh:
Woohoo!!! I'm a one man groupbuy!! I feel soo special.. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts