Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new report jointly done by several special interest groups lists what it deems the nation's most wasteful and environmentally harmful highway projects, and calls for their elimination. Called Road to Ruin: The 27 Most Wasteful Road Projects in America, the report aims to bring attention to so-called "white elephant" projects and also those that would have especially negative results for communities and the environment. The report's release coincides with a new transportation bill being considered in Congress, in which generous chunks of federal money would be allocated to some of these projects-a total of $185 million just for the projects singled out in the report. Some of the anticipated affects of the projects - besides the federal money spent - include urban sprawl, loss of farmland, harm to local businesses, damage to historic sites, and, in several cases, the odd result of increased congestion. Go to www.taxpayer.net/road2ruin for the full list, along with the top ten ranked by taxpayer cost and environmental impact.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7197&sid=173&n=156

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Wow...and I thought all road construction around here were wasteful..

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'm a little surprised that Route 287 in North Jersey isn't on there. The federal government funded the addition of HOV-2 lanes on I-287, but nobody used them, so they were converted into regular lanes. Traffic is much improved, but NJ received funding for HOV lanes, not road expansion, and the state didn't give the money back (according to the press).

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
The Big Dig in Boston got rid of an eyesore known as the Central Artery. It cut a path through the city, splitting downtown from the harbor. Now that its gone...they will turn whats left of that old highway into green space. At least something good turned out for an old highway.

Here is a site about it:
http://www.bigdig.com/

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
2004_Acura_TSX said:
The Big Dig in Boston got rid of an eyesore known as the Central Artery. It cut a path through the city, splitting downtown from the harbor. Now that its gone...they will turn whats left of that old highway into green space. At least something good turned out for an old highway.

Here is a site about it:
http://www.bigdig.com/
They did a special about it on TV...it was pretty interesting..

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
They did a special about it on TV...it was pretty interesting..
Interesting to know that its also one of the costliest if not the costliest road projects done in the US. I wonder if it will help with Boston's traffic congestion as they say it would. :rolleyes:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Interstate 405
Seattle, Washington
Cost to Federal Taxpayers: $700 million (Phase I)

No surpirise there! They were working (messing up) I-405 the whole 5 years we lived there. What a waste!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts