Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
There are two TV commercials shown on the Pontiac GTO website. One is called "Smoke" and the other is called "Engine." The music on the "Engine" one is from "Mars," which is a movement of Gustav Holst's THE PLANETS. Hints of that same music are on the "Smoke" commercial. I have not seen one called "Rear Wheel Drive is Back."
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jcg878 said:
C'mon larch, you'd recognize Holst, right?? :eek: I know you know your classical ;)


JCG, who is happy that he has orchestra tix for Saturday :D 1blue1.gif
Actually, no!!!
But I wasn't even talking about that, because it's something else in this commerical.
I guess I made it sound like I don't know and I'm trying to get y'all to help me out?

No way. :nono:
Do I look like a guy who needs help?

Only about cars and computers. :D

Yes, I totally know the answer. Just conducting a class, that's all. jjjjjjjj8


But I have no idea about Holst. All I know about Holst is that whenever Columbia Record Club or anybody had one of those offers -- you know, "Pick 3 CD's for free and then we own your soul for the next 100 years" -- it seemed like Holst's "The Planets" was one of the things you could get.


I didn't know anybody went to orchestra concerts anymore. :cool:

Who's playing? What's the program?
 

·
Just a little nutty
Joined
·
664 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
larchmont said:
Actually, no!!!
But I wasn't even talking about that, because it's something else in this commerical.
I guess I made it sound like I don't know and I'm trying to get y'all to help me out?

No way. :nono:
Do I look like a guy who needs help?

Only about cars and computers. :D

Yes, I totally know the answer. Just conducting a class, that's all. jjjjjjjj8


But I have no idea about Holst. All I know about Holst is that whenever Columbia Record Club or anybody had one of those offers -- you know, "Pick 3 CD's for free and then we own your soul for the next 100 years" -- it seemed like Holst's "The Planets" was one of the things you could get.


I didn't know anybody went to orchestra concerts anymore. :cool:

Who's playing? What's the program?

Well, I'm a little confused. I know about the two commercials with the Holst music on the GTO website (I haven't seen them on TV), but is there another one called "Rear Wheel Drive is Back"? The web site only has the two I mentioned.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DSM said:
Well, I'm a little confused. I know about the two commercials with the Holst music on the GTO website (I haven't seen them on TV), but is there another one called "Rear Wheel Drive is Back"? The web site only has the two I mentioned.
I guess there must be. I couldn't get any action out of Whatcham's links, so I don't know what's on there, but I'm guessing they both have the Holst music?

Anyway, the one I'm talking about most definitely has music other than Holst, and it's also classical -- in fact, more classical than Holst.
The line "Rear wheel drive is back" comes right at the beginning or right after the beginning -- don't remember which. If you don't hear "Rear wheel drive is back," it's not the same commercial.

BTW I'm not saying the music is terrific (it's not nearly as effective IMO as the music in any of the Acura commercials, for example).
It's just that I thought it was cool that they had this somewhat obscure classical music in a car commercial.
Actually the composition that it's from is somewhat famous, but this part of it isn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
larchmont said:
I didn't know anybody went to orchestra concerts anymore. :cool:

Who's playing? What's the program?
People do in Philly, they're just 30 years older than me. :D

Program

Lang Lang is apparently this young phenom out of the Curtis Institute (also in Philly). He's not so famous though, this AM the public radio ad announced that 'Long Long' was performing :rolleyes:

Long Long the pianist - say that 3 times fast LOL
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jcg878 said:
.....Program

Lang Lang is apparently this young phenom out of the Curtis Institute (also in Philly). He's not so famous though, this AM the public radio ad announced that 'Long Long' was performing :rolleyes:....
Philadelphia Orchestra! :bowdown:

Lang Lang actually is very famous in piano circles and classical music circles.
He's somewhat controversial in that as you say he's quite a "phenom," especially PR-wise, but the "cognoscenti" look down on him as being all show, just someone who plays fast and loud and has good PR but isn't really a good musician. From what I know of him (haven't heard any of his stuff straight through but did see an extended TV thing about him where of course they showed a lot of his playing), I say he really is spectacular, even if sometimes he just plays fast and loud, and throws his arms up in the air like in his most famous publicity shot.

I actually know those first 2 pieces. Studied the Schonberg in college, played the Beethoven (I didn't say "performed," I said "played"). :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
larchmont said:
I guess there must be. I couldn't get any action out of Whatcham's links, so I don't know what's on there, but I'm guessing they both have the Holst music?

Anyway, the one I'm talking about most definitely has music other than Holst, and it's also classical -- in fact, more classical than Holst.
The line "Rear wheel drive is back" comes right at the beginning or right after the beginning -- don't remember which. If you don't hear "Rear wheel drive is back," it's not the same commercial.

BTW I'm not saying the music is terrific (it's not nearly as effective IMO as the music in any of the Acura commercials, for example).
It's just that I thought it was cool that they had this somewhat obscure classical music in a car commercial.
Actually the composition that it's from is somewhat famous, but this part of it isn't.
I can find no mention of the "Rear wheel drive is back" commercial for the GTO on the web, and I probably am unlikely to just happen to see it anytime soon. I probably would know the music in it if I heard it. By the way, I agree with your veneration of the Philadelphia Orchestra. I grew up in suburban Philadelphia and spent many evenings hearing them in the Academy of Music.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DSM said:
I can find no mention of the "Rear wheel drive is back" commercial for the GTO on the web.....
Gonna have to keep my ears open and listen close to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. :D
Will keep y'all posted.
.....I probably would know the music in it if I heard it.....
Yes, I think you would. Actually, for sure if you heard the beginning or end portion of the work, but just from the part in the commercial, it might be one of those things that just sounds familiar but you couldn't exactly place it. The reason I know it is that I've played a lot of piano, and there's a piano version.

OK, there's a hint: It's an orchestral work with a famous piano version.
..... By the way, I agree with your veneration of the Philadelphia Orchestra. I grew up in suburban Philadelphia and spent many evenings hearing them in the Academy of Music.
How enviable! When I started becoming aware of things like this, the Philadelphia Orchestra was regarded as one of the real biggies (with Eugene Ormandy), right up there with Chicago, Cleveland, and New York (which many said was a little overrated).
Off the top of my head, I think those were the top U.S. orchestras. I don't know if they still are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
larchmont said:
Gonna have to keep my ears open and listen close to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. :D
Will keep y'all posted.

Yes, I think you would. Actually, for sure if you heard the beginning or end portion of the work, but just from the part in the commercial, it might be one of those things that just sounds familiar but you couldn't exactly place it. The reason I know it is that I've played a lot of piano, and there's a piano version.

OK, there's a hint: It's an orchestral work with a famous piano version.

How enviable! When I started becoming aware of things like this, the Philadelphia Orchestra was regarded as one of the real biggies (with Eugene Ormandy), right up there with Chicago, Cleveland, and New York (which many said was a little overrated).
Off the top of my head, I think those were the top U.S. orchestras. I don't know if they still are.
Well, that is a good hint! There are a number of piano compositions that were also orchestrated, but I guess the most famous one is Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition." If this is correct, I'd be interested in knowing what section was used.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, what do y'all say, how much of an answer should I give???
After all, we don't want to ruin it for the hordes who are deep in the midst of their research. rrrrrrrrr6

But I will say that our man DSM is certainly on the right track. :mardi:



Nice get!
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, time's up!







It's "The Hut on Fowl's Legs," also known as "The Hut of the Baba-Yaga," from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.

I wanted to paste or link the actual commercial, but couldn't find it online.
Also, couldn't find a track of the music that I could paste.

Y'all just have to keep an eye out for the commercial.


(Nice going, DSM!)
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top