Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Full Fledged Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to doing the GunMetal PD over my chrome Rims. It wasnt hard to do at all, I used the lazy man's method: Tuck a garbage bag behind the wheels to cover the brakes/calipers, and peel off the excess from the overspray aftewards. In retrospect, I would still recommend taping over the tires just cuz it would save you a step later on.

Overall I like how they came out, but with the weather lately I havent been able to get a Nice Photo Op in so these Razr pics will have to suffice.

Before:

During:

Partial Peel:

Bad Lighting Finished Rear:

Side View - sorry for the quality

Three Quarter View - Wish it illustrated the grill match better

The PD was pretty easy to work with, and this was done using their prep spray, 4 layers of Gun Metal PD, 3 layers of Metalizer, and a couple layers of Gloss afterwards which didnt seem to make much of a difference.

·
Registered
131 Posts
They turned out pretty sweet!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Props to you for the idea. I ordered the same 2 PD products and did mine a few months ago, but ended up painting over the gunmetal with some graphite paint because I didn't like the color.

It's held up well though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
looks great man but be careful when changing tires the plastidip peels off of the lug nuts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why didn't you leave them the black chrome color? I have the same wheels and would much rather see them with the polish then a dull color imo.

regardless...good job! :)

·
Full Fledged Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chasemundo - I think the A Spec wheels we have came in two flavors, Black Chrome or Chrome Chrome- which is what I have... I wanted a more gun metal look and I dont really like straight chrome.

I might do it with the graphite paint idea next time....Or can I do Graphite over them now since its already covered in PD?

I was debating on doing the lug nuts and the Center A in a different color, but i only had Gun Metal and it would look wierd to have 2 different colors I think. Maybe the lug nuts but not the center A.

The cards in between the rim/tire is great advice for anyone doing this in the future. All in all a great way to save hundreds of dollars vs getting new rims. Covered up my Curb Rash too which was a plus.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
You could stick flashcards between the tire and wheel to avoid spraying on the tire
flash cars blocks the crease from being sprayed though, its actually easier to let it get on the tire and just peel it off and it even easer that way.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I might do it with the graphite paint idea next time....Or can I do Graphite over them now since its already covered in PD?
That's what I did - I didn't like the way the gunmetal PD looked so I found a wheel paint color I liked and did it on top of the PD. This way if I didn't like it and wanted to go back to the OEM wheel color I could just peel the PD off.

Actually you could do this with any color you wanted, just put a few coats of PD on the wheel and then paint over it, you're painting on the PD so it will peel of with it.

Here's my thread with pics:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-image-gallery/61176-oem-wheels-graphited.html

·
Full Fledged Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man, i might do that Graphite in the future... Except part of me wants to do the chrome trim delete on the door handles / window trim so it matches the front grill AND Tires... I think that would look pretty sweet, but be a pain to do with all the taping and im sure it wouldnt peel off properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts