Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 0.00004281 hp but mostly because I was bored today, I decided to smooth out the upper half of my airbox. I already de-snorkeled and made a custom CAI, and this seemed to be the next logical step to get the most airflow. I thought I'd post some notes for the benefit of anyone else who is doing this. I know it's old news but to some of the newer members like myself it may be a new and easy mod to tackle.

A dremel tool is NOT the best way to do this. I started this way but it's slow and messy and smelly. I ended up using pliers and a chisel - use the pliers to break out the pieces, then a chisel to smooth things out. Next step is take a wire brush and further smooth everything out with it so as to avoid any plastic pieces getting into the throttle. Last thing I did was blow it out with a blower.

I did leave the horizontal baffles in place as they are in line withe air flow and shouldn't restrict it much if at all.

Haven't driven it yet but once I do I'll post any thoughts. I doubt this will make any noticeable difference or add any noise, but it will help a tad bit with air flow. Took about 30 minutes.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
I would've just smoothed the whole thing, Airflow isnt that linear in direction.

I'm curious about smoothing the airbox and if it has any performance merits. I've already done the cold air mod and would like every bit of performance out of the stock intake system if possible

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a felling this is a pretty pointless mod, just like the "turbo air twirlers" but If you have nothing else to do, more power to you! :)
Yes it was completely pointless, I was just bored, last year I removed the snorkel and made my own CAI, I wanted to do this at the time but didn't get around to it, so here we are. Just thought I'd post pics for my effort, I know others have done/are doing this, maybe me tips and ideas will help.

For me most of modding is just the fun of working on the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just removed all the ribs a few weeks back and I am actually quite happy with it. It actually did help more than I thought it would with throttle response and maybe even added 1 hp but I can tell the overall flow has improved a bit and it was free/fun. It seems like this added some "volume" to the box somehow?

It is worth mentioning I had already installed this Pep boys home-made CT intake piping. Here

I also used sand paper to smooth these sharp edges and make a nice smooth transition into the box.

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,655 Posts
It might of made the car sound a little different but I would say that's it. But good job on trying something different. To the person above me there is no way you can feel a 1hp gain in the seat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know I have reached new levels of boredom. I completely understand your disbelief and it may be just a placebo/sound... but is 1/2 of 1% improvement really that unbelievable? Try it for yourself and let me know.

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,655 Posts
It all good I don't have a stock air box any more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.