Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to like the "gutters" on the sides of TL
Now they look weird.

What are they for anyway ? aero dynamics ?

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
I used to like the "gutters" on the sides of TL
Now they look weird.

What are they for anyway ? aero dynamics ?

You know...I agree, totally. When I first saw the car, I though those creases or gutters or whatever they're called were pretty cool. But the more I see TL's on the road, the more I catch myself noticing that detail first, and wondering why? They seem to distract from the styling as I gain familiarity with it's shape. :donno:

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CL9 K24a said:
Rain channels? Definitely not aerodynamics ... But it looks corny IMO.
why you so sure "Definitely not aerodynamics" ?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
And me2. I hadn't thought of it either.

I agree that we can't assume it's NOT aerodynamics. But we should be very surprised if it is.

P.S. Hey, Acura, you have a little google problem!
On a search of "Acura TL," would you believe that Acura's own site doesn't come up on the first google page?
Nor on the second page.
Nor the third.
I didn't look past that. And most other people wouldn't either.

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
It's definitely a handsome car! It's just that I can't stop looking at that crease in the side. Maybe it's some eye candy to make it look less like the TSX?

Larch...did you know that you have 4,444 posts? Coolness.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That'd be expensive eye candy
I mean the cost that adds to production.

molding the panels then make sure they line up perfect --- cost

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Those panels have to line up regarless if there is a crease in them. As eye candy goes on a car, those creases are rather inexpensive.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
why you so sure "Definitely not aerodynamics" ?
My understanding of improving aerodynamics either in the purpose of speed or handling pointers show no evidence of any manufacturer using "side drains/dips" in the bodywork to attain changes. If anything, extensions or air induced features are generally found on the front/front sides, rear/rear sides.

If anything, a simple comparison of the TSX smooth lines will prove to be a more fuel efficient thanks to low drag coefficient with little speed restriction compared to the TL. The Euro R is a good representing indication that this would be quite accurate considering the body pieces are somewhat identical across the board with minor aesthetic differences between the CL7 and CL9.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:reading:

·
Dr. Smiley
155 Posts
At first I liked the gutter too on the side of the TL, but now that I look more at it I think it's to distract your eyes from how fat the TL is on the side. :eek: It is a great looking car, but I don't regret getting my TSX!

·
Registered
549 Posts
There was a thread about this on the a-tl forum... i believe they were saying it was indeed aerodynamics... and to increase the speed... god only knows how... but hey im not an engineer i wouldnt know :p

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
That's interesting ... I'd like to see the link and the justifications behind it. That'll be something new to me if indeed "gutters" did improve aerodynamics particularly at speed. Funny enough, no other Hondas or Acuras have this same measure implemented.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i will look for it... i personally didnt believe it... doesnt make any sense to me :-\

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I don't believe it ... I might find some sort of understanding after I've read what is being discussed. Then again, who knows ... It's pure speculation. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts