Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight guys...Took MMs's advise and pick up a set of Yellow Koni struts and shocks, snagged the 20's off and put my 18's on it. Also, replaced the 6k foglight hid kit with some 3k bulbs.

And the end results.....

My wife wanted me to put my 20's on her RSX...LOL

hey guys, I bought the df210 tanabe springs from Bruno last week and finally had a chance to drop off the car yesterday to get everything put on...I also purchased an ingalls rear camber kit from Heeltoe because everyone talked so highly of it. I'm a lil concerned because the back looks really low..I have 20s on it and believe it or not, The Front Is Clear! I didn't have to heat or cut anything to keep my full turning radius. The rear is what bothers me...I think I'm going to have to roll or heat the plastic at least to the tire scrub at a minimum...can you guys let me know if this looks normal. I had a set of Tanabes GF210 on my eclipse and I think it was the same way, I've sold the car tho, so I can really remember.

here are the photos this morning...car is dirty, its been raining out here and I haven't had a chance to wash it....

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
oh boy.

well I'm gonna try to be nice, lol.

couple things:
20's are basically considered taboo for the first gen (your car).
yours look much less out of place because they're basically black and
the design makes the rims look smaller than they are.
but that aside.

being a 20" rim means absolutely nothing in terms of clearance. width and
offset are the important numbers, diameter means absolutely zero. so them
being 20's really means nothing besides they're overly heavy and have to run
overly small tires for the car to function properly (within 2" of oem overall diameter).

the back looks fine. it's not "really low" by any stretch of the imagination. so
don't be worried about that. be worried about blowing your stock dampers, which
will probably happen within the next couple months. you probably had stock, meaning
2004 suspension on your car. and by adding those springs you just ruined it. your
dampers are in no way designed to handle lowering springs and they will blow very
quickly. so if you just paid an installation charge for your springs, you just learned
your first lesson in suspension: do it right the first time or pay more in the end.

buying springs is just a bad idea overall if you ask me. yeah, they're cheaper initially
than coilovers. but you still need to install them, you still need to align the car, and
you'll need to remove them when they ruin your stock dampers. then you'll need to
do it all over again with proper coilovers, or you'll continue to try to go the bargain
route and buy dampers. then ending up paying more in the end and having an inferior
suspension to just having installed coilovers to start with.

on to clearance.
so you say the front is fine, well that's great.
and you said that you bought an ingalls rear camber kit. that's also great.
but then you said you have minimal clearance issues in the back.
well, that ingalls camber kit thing you bought and had installed.... that's the thing
used to correct your clearance issue in the back.

there's no such thing as rolling plastic. when you hear of rolling fenders, it's the
metal fender that's being rolled. you can't roll plastic.

so what now?

personally I'd say to stop modding your car immediately.
start reading here. I know it'll be hard, but it'll be well worth it. you've already made
some costly mistakes, so it's best now to stop the trend and start doing things right.
you did something good by picking up that an ingalls rear camber kit is a good thing,
but you didn't even seem to read why. I'd suggest a good month of constant research
here before touching the car again. and by then I'm sure things will be much clearer to you.

best of luck.

-edit.
and after reading this, I'd probably want to ask me what I would do then.
I'd probably not want to spend a month reading and say, well if you're so
damn smart then, why don't you just tell me what you'd do? you've obviously
spent that much time and then some here...

so I see that point, and sure I'll tell you what I'd do:
(I'm super buzzed, having a forum conversation with myself, wooo!)

I'd unfortunately remove about everything you've done so far.
I'd get rid of those super heavy, killing the performance rims/tires.
I'd get rid of those "lowering springs" and throw them and my ruined stock
dampers in the trash.
I'd purchase a set of cheap coilovers. I'd go personally with the Tein Basis (that's not a typo).
I'd double check to make sure the Ingalls rear camber kit is installed properly.
I'd install the tein coilovers, along with a 22mm progress rear sway bar.
I'd use prothane or some other badass sway bar bushings, not the progress ones.
I'd drive the car home and not move it for a few days (just in case the suspension "settles").
I'd then put on some lightweight 18" rims and tires.
I'd then drive it to the alignment shop and have them set my ride height and align the car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
COOL...thanks for the info..I've read a few post and right now, the car does ride really well..I wish I would have read more now that you say something about the damper..I was looking at Tokico for the rear. I have a set of 18's for it as well, that i'm considering putting on the car because of the drop. As for the width, I seem to always buy wheels that 7.5 inches in width because I never like the wheel stuck out of the fender look. I have an alignment set up this evening after work. In the meantime, I'll do some researching on what shock and strut kit to go with and hopefully fix/spend more money in a couple of months.
Really! Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction!

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
oh I'm sure the car rides fine. for now, lol.
it might get a bit bouncy soon.

seriously, the tein basis coilovers are like under $700.
they're far superior to any shock/spring combo.

sell the springs if you can you have and make some money back.

and 18 vs. 20 means zero because you're dropped.

a 20" rim just has a thinner tire than the 18" rim.
overall, from the ground to the top of the tire, they're the same overall size.
just bigger rim and smaller tire or vice versa.

18" just look more correct, are much lighter, perform better, they just suit our car perfect.

you're looking for something like:

18 x 8 +42
or
18 x 9 +50
or
18 x 8.5 + 48
or
18 x 7.5 +36

or something like that. the x numbers and the + numbers are the important ones.
and for tires you'd want 225/40/18 on this car.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
I'd probably get struts (koni yellows) seeing how you already bought springs, after I get rid of those 20" wheels.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too would agree to get rid of the 20's. Much to heavy for our cars. I purchased a set of the Koni Adjustables and have been very happy with the results. If your not worried about dropping soem cash ditch the springs. Otherwise just keep the springs you have and upgrade to Koni. If you have any mechanical knowledge the install is very easy and straight forward. That will save you some coin. If you do a search on this forumn there are some very good write ups by fellow members. Good luck, make sure you invest in a RSB, best bang for the buck suspension related.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the koni struts idea. Ill def look into those and price them. My best friend is my mechanic. He works on everything i have (which is 3 other acuras) !yes i love them! So cost isnt bad at all for installs. I think im going to try the 18s on it this weekend and see how i likea them. With the tsx. Im so much worried about performance, when i got this. I just wanted one because i love acura period. Its one of the best cars on the market. Thanks guyz for all the advice. Ill be back with more photos once i swap out the wheels snd get soem prices on the koni

·
Registered
250 Posts
Very well Put together. I also made the mistake I initially meant to put them on just to see how they look but ended up leaving them on cause it looked so good but man do I regret it. All my struts went so now looking to buy Coils instead. Screw lowering springs LOL dont wanna go through that again.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know why but i always thought springs were the way to go and that coils were worse because of the bounce they created. I have learned different.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
I dont know why but i always thought springs were the way to go and that coils were worse because of the bounce they created. I have learned different.
back in the old Honda days when the cars were very light, a lot of people were looking for temporary cheap ways to make their cars look nice(drop). Many bought springs and used their stock dampers and it worked fine... but those were the good old days.. now were talking about 1,000lbs extra weight, not good lol

its funny how a lot of those guys who still own those old cars tell me to get "Springs and 20inch wheels". I always joke back saying, "I dont listen to those 'MUSIC'"

·
Registered
6 Posts
koni Yellows are great i bought a set used and used springs all for under 200 on this forum and the car rides and looks great. KONIS blow away that tein junk . Tein is a decent damper but not even close to the konis . Car looks good BTW im just not a fan of the 20s .

·
Rocketeer
1,134 Posts
mmstsx just laid it out perfectly for you.

Throw the 18's on.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
back in the days it was called cut the springs...and call it a day...lol....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HA..I remember when guys used to cut springs! That was the worst ride ever...what about taking out the bump stops out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Research is the key when modding!...lol...You research before you mod to see if someone else had a problem with the mod your trying to do. It took almost a month deciding between 18'' or 19" but this forum helped me out a lot!!! 19" are pushing it, 18" are perfect! If you notice the majority of this forum are running 18"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts