Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I used RP manual tranny fluid in my Ford Ranger and it made a very noticeable difference in ease/smoothness of shifting. Was considering using it in my TSX, I know Acura recommends only their stuff, but the RP people know what they're doing. Anyone using RP for their manual TSX, and if so, how does it compare to the OEM stuff?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm assuming that you're talking about RP Synchromax. If I didn't have the Redline MTL sitting around for my other ride then I would be running the RP Synchromax. I currently have RP MAX ATF in our Honda Odyssey van and I have been pleased with it. I also have the RP PS fluid, MAX EZ and will change the TSX over next time I change out the brake fluid.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming that you're talking about RP Synchromax. If I didn't have the Redline MTL sitting around for my other ride then I would be running the RP Synchromax. I currently have RP MAX ATF in our Honda Odyssey van and I have been pleased with it. I also have the RP PS fluid, MAX EZ and will change the TSX over next time I change out the brake fluid.
The RP website calls for a different RP product other than Synchromax, please check it before you put it in your car. Well, that is, for a MT - if you have an AT the Synchromax may be just what you need.

That's interesting, I have a 2006 Odyssey as well. Did you notice any difference in shifts with the RP? I just turned 60,000 and have noticed it shifts a bit harder than it did before. Great van though, wish it got better mpg though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The RP website calls for a different RP product other than Synchromax, please check it before you put it in your car. Well, that is, for a MT - if you have an AT the Synchromax may be just what you need.

That's interesting, I have a 2006 Odyssey as well. Did you notice any difference in shifts with the RP? I just turned 60,000 and have noticed it shifts a bit harder than it did before. Great van though, wish it got better mpg though.
Synchromax is the correct product for the manual transmissions.
"Synchromax is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or motor oil." Quoted from RP 2012-13 Consumer Product Catalog.

RP MAX ATF is the product for the automatic transmissions.

MAX ATF is in my 2001 Odyssey van has has been since day 1 of the warranty replaced transmission. This oil always looks bright red with no burnt smell at my 15,000 drain and fill intervals. Honda ATF-Z1 looked brown and smelled "burnt" at the same intervals with the orginal transmission despite my best efforts to "flush" the transmission with up to a case at a time with the Helms manual recommended 3 drain and fills back to back to back with a short drive in between each drain and fill. I think that my receipts from the dealer for 5 cases of Honda Z1 made the case for me to get my transmission warrantied even though it was just outside of the extended 109,000 mile transmission warranty from Honda at the time of failure.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
RP is garbage, I wouldnt use it in a lawnmower. For a stock transmission Honda MTF is what you should be using, honda spends billions on R&D, they know what there trans need at stock levels. If you really want an upgrade on your fluid (if you dont track your car its money wasted) Motul, Eneos, and AMSoil are all top of the line fluids. Torco is up there as well. But seriously do some research on RP its royal crap.

·
Triple Rollover Survivor
156 Posts
^^+1 to this. Royal Purple toned back the stuff that made it worth the money, which is why I swapped to Schaffer's for engine oil and I keep the standard Honda MTF for the trans--though I've heard a lot of good arguments for Red Line, Synchromesh, Synchromax, etc. I just won't give Royal Purple my money anymore.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G XE with Beats Audio using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Opinions on oils are like belly buttons, everyone's got one and they're basically worthless, mine included.

If RP is such crap, you got any data to back that up? Not just that so and so changed over and then blew up his motor / transmission / rear end / what ever, but real data from a lab. Until then, use whatever makes you happy and I will too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I got an extra bottle of synchromax rp... Sell it to you if you need it... Shoot me an offer.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Opinions on oils are like belly buttons, everyone's got one and they're basically worthless, mine included.

If RP is such crap, you got any data to back that up? Not just that so and so changed over and then blew up his motor / transmission / rear end / what ever, but real data from a lab. Until then, use whatever makes you happy and I will too.
Its not ASE certified...Theyve been around for a long time and they still arent able to get certified? :squint:

Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple

Royal Purple vs AMSOIL

They are also not a fully synthetic oil :/

·
Registered
857 Posts

totten explained above. bobtheoilguy has put RP through the ringer a number of times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.