Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to research companies who sell replacement LCD's for honda/acura navigation units but I haven't been able to come up with any.

Has anyone done this before? I'm not talking about the entire screen assembly, but only the LCD/Backlight part.
My screen appears a bit dim.. and I'm curious to know how much a replacement one would cost..

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
now that I don't drive my car much, I notice that when I do drive it, the screen is so dim.. lol. Like you cant read it. However, after letting the car warm up (as well as the cabin) if I drive with it on it slowly will come back to life.

They key is to not press ok when you start the car, let the car warm up, cabin gets warm, start driving and then get the message back and press ok.

I see you live in central FL, but for me, I noticed it in NYC winters (now). I think it should become better come summer time lol.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cold definitely makes the screen dim in the mornings, and it takes a while for it to warm up.
I usually hit the OK button right away, and the screen warms up within 5 minutes. I know backlights go dim over time, and being that this screen is 7 years old, I would think a new LCD screen would really brighten things up.
I know there are companies out there that sell replacement LCD's in all shapes and sizes. I've replaced many LCD's in my time (Laptop, Digital camera, Phones, etc) and I know what difference a new LCD makes.

I just haven't been able to find a company who sells replacement touchscreen LCD's for our cars..

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
You know the brightness can be adjusted right? As well as the contrast and black levels. Do you mean the daytime setting? I have mine set to Auto so when I turn on the lights at night, the screen dims.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know the brightness can be adjusted right? As well as the contrast and black levels. Do you mean the daytime setting? I have mine set to Auto so when I turn on the lights at night, the screen dims.
Yes of course I have that adjusted properly. I know a new screen's backlight would be much brighter though, and I'd like to replace the LCD.

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
Yes of course I have that adjusted properly. I know a new screen's backlight would be much brighter though, and I'd like to replace the LCD.
I know this isn't probable, but I'd like to hack the whole thing, throw a high res monitor up there, throw on Android or some open OS and have Google Maps as the main navigation. I'd also like my text messages to pop up on the screen so I don't have to reach in my pocket, fumble around with it, and take my eyes off the road to check them. I know I'm dreamin.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If you make it happen I wanna be one of the first to know how. I have had dreams of glassing in an iPad mini where the stock screen is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
833 Posts
Im actually working on this project myself, I picked up 2 FUBAR navi units from VinVestors, one had cracked glass the other one was missing the motherboard. So i will be attempting to make 2 out of one. One thing that i found out is that the TSX Navi uses a "Digitizer" touch screen, kinda like iPod, iPhone etc etc, if you ever fixed these you know what i mean. I am currently looking if i can find a replacement Digitizer. as far as the LCD goes, if you take the unit apart you can see who made the LCD i belive. So if you see something like "Samsung Model # XXXXXX" or any numbers etc etc just type it into google and see if you get any hits. If that dosnt work you can always try to find a LCD that has same dimensions, get the pin out diagram, and match the connections to the motherboard of the Navi. Its a lot of screwing around and im not sure if its worth doing but i think its better than dropping thousands of $$$ on a new unit from Acura.

~De5

·
Registered
833 Posts
I know this isn't probable, but I'd like to hack the whole thing, throw a high res monitor up there, throw on Android or some open OS and have Google Maps as the main navigation. I'd also like my text messages to pop up on the screen so I don't have to reach in my pocket, fumble around with it, and take my eyes off the road to check them. I know I'm dreamin.
I was searching mp3car forums a while back and ive seen someone who managed to move the HVAC/Audio motheroard back by using spacers and they were able to put in a thin LCD display while keeping everything else stock. given that the ipods and tablets are less than 1/2 thick maybe it can be done the same way ???

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was searching mp3car forums a while back and ive seen someone who managed to move the HVAC/Audio motheroard back by using spacers and they were able to put in a thin LCD display while keeping everything else stock. given that the ipods and tablets are less than 1/2 thick maybe it can be done the same way ???

Link?

Also, to stay on topic, Does anyone have links to companies who sell replacement LCD screens for honda/acura navi systems?

·
Registered
833 Posts
So i took apart 2 Navi units already, both of them have a broken digitizer, LCDs are fine. Also when i typed in one of the numbers from the control board into google i got a hit on Panasonic Control Board. not sure if that helps.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bump,
My LCD's backlight has now turned yellow, and its quite annoying now :(

I really need to find somewhere who sells just the replacement LCD.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
**** it, I took mine apart to grab a model number. See Pics below.

Notice the touch screen is separate from the LCD.

back of touch screen+lcd assembly:

Back of the actual LCD panel

The model number shown (EDT80WZQM040) is what I need to look for.
So far, pricing seems to be around 150$..

·
Registered
150 Posts
now that I don't drive my car much, I notice that when I do drive it, the screen is so dim.. lol. Like you cant read it. However, after letting the car warm up (as well as the cabin) if I drive with it on it slowly will come back to life.

They key is to not press ok when you start the car, let the car warm up, cabin gets warm, start driving and then get the message back and press ok.

I see you live in central FL, but for me, I noticed it in NYC winters (now). I think it should become better come summer time lol.
Just realized and thought of this, but I think we can use the center button instead of using the touch screen to hit "ok". I'll try it next time I have a DVD in there....I'm currently in the process of buying a new one. My old one got too scratched up in the drive.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Fyi, I would love to see some good options for the screen. I love having the navi in my car, but it's an 04 and outdated.

Wouldn't mind pulling everything navi related and going aftermarket. I had a carpc in one of my previous cars and loved it.

I'm really just not techy enough to attempt this

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had my car parked outside today and it was cold (it's usually in my garage that stays well above freezing) and noticed the display was yellow. Hmmmm. And not related, but I've noticed my phone being yellow sometimes. I hope this doesn't mean something is going to bust soon, but let us know how your swap jamsandwich goes just in case. Thanks in advance

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ive been quoted a price of 150$ shipped for a replacement screen.
This isnt too bad of a price and considering the screen is a factory replacement, I may end up buying it.

I was thinking about options regarding the screen.. but given all the a/c and car controls are built into the nav unit, It would be almost impossible to source a new screen that would fit, unless there is another 7" LCD screen with a higher resolution which would bolt right up..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.