Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has done it and can offer any tips or point me towards a DIY cause I can't seem to find one at all.

My belt was chirping on cold starts a couple months ago so I replaced the belt as it looked brown/worn/not cracked but note the indicator was spot on before I replaced it. I replaced it with a generic AutoZone belt and immediately upon replacing I noticed the tensioner indicator moved to the loose side with the new belt BUT the chirping stopped so I didn't care meaning something fixed the chirp. Now recently the chirping has reappeared again so I assumed it was the belt being loose but the reason I'm thinking it's the tensioner is because the arrow "jumps" and moves around the indicator a little when the car is idling. Not sure if my new belt was just masking the real problem or if I am just dealing with a belt problem here. I HATE chirping noises on my cars so this is an urgent fix for me. What do you guys think? Replace the belt and tensioner or just the tensioner or just the belt?
Assuming it is the tensioner:
Do I have to remove the Power Steering pump? I don't have a lot of time to deal with this at the moment so I don't want to spend any more than 30-60 mins on it.

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,650 Posts
Yeah sounds like the belt you bought is a little longer then the OEM one.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you guys sure? Reason I'm concerned is because the indicator seems to be jumping around AND the "old" oem belt which was perfectly tight was chirping leading me to believe it's the tensioner. Not too sure on this, I just don't feel like ripping up my hands more than I have to if the tensioner is bad too. Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
When it chirps is the A/C on or off... And yes you take the ps pump off, move it along with the pressure hose out of the way and then unbolt the tensioner. And buy an oem belt.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nick A/C is off. Do you think it's the belt or the tensioner? The "old" belt was perfectly tight but looked worn so that was my initial guess but now I don't know! Even though the old belt was tight it did chirp slightly too when cold. Any input is appreciated. I don't feel like doing the tensioner in this cold lol.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nick A/C is off. Do you think it's the belt or the tensioner? The "old" belt was perfectly tight but looked worn so that was my initial guess but now I don't know! Even though the old belt was tight it did chirp slightly too when cold. Any input is appreciated. I don't feel like doing the tensioner in this cold lol.
It probably is the tensioner, it is a pretty common thing. And it shouldn't take that long to do...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just went out to look and see what I'm getting myself into. Looks fun. I just wish there was a way to do it without completely removing PS pump. Some bolts look tough to get at so I might take it on for someone else to deal with...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm having the same issue right now... chirping cars ftl, I feel like my car depreciated in value by half.

Do a write up so I can follow along! haha

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,650 Posts
This is why one of the first things I bought was the repair manuals. It can be done and I have done one on a k-20 you just have to take your time and have something to go to and look at so you know what your doing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha it does make the car look cheap and trashy when it's chirping and squeaking. I had a hard time with the belt. Anyone think I can get away with just doing the pulley cause that's a lot easier? I hope the tensioner isn't bad but if it is any guidance for us is appreciated

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,650 Posts
No if it is not getting enough tension on the belt, replacing the pulley will do nothing to help. There is a huge spring inside the tensioner that's why you have to replace the hole thing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK,
so before i go waste money on unnecessary parts, let's narrow this down. It can be one of 3 things in my mind:
1. Entire Tensioner Assembly
2. Tensioner Pulley (which, as described above, is not a probable cause)
3. Belt

Note: I notice when idling the tensioner and pulley move quite a bit (shake). Going back, my initial belt was chirping when cold but was within perfect indicator range. Upon changing the belt, the chirp went away but the indicator was showing loose. Now fast forward to this week the indicator shows loose and it's chirping when cold.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Go to Acura, tell them you want a drive belt tensioner and drive belt and install it haha. The ps pump is 2 12mm's, take the suction hose off (get rags and be clean about it) put the pump on the valve cover, take off the tensioner pulley on the one one, and new one and r &r will be a breeze. Bolt it back up, put the pulley back on the new one, throw the ps pump back on, new drive belt and boom its done.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn you make it tempting nick. I know with my terrible luck it would turn into a 4 hour job of me cursing and scratching my arms up with shit cause its a tight squeeze. I'm scared to take the PS off and have to bleed air out cause it's already on it's last legs. Everything I touch seems to break, regardless I was reading on other forums it's a lot of tight work to get bolts in and out. Anyway I'll keep everyone posted as this will get done next week somehow cause I can't stand squeaking noises with my OCD.

·
-
1,582 Posts
I highly recommend that you tackle this yourself.

Logically work the problem step by step. Stay focused, unemotional and lose the OCD.

1. 1st remove the serpentine belt. Start the car cold, when you state you get the squeeking. Start the engine and see if it sqeeks.
If it is still squeeking, it's not the belt or the tensioner.

With the belt still off, check the tensioner pulleys for loosness and a rough feel in the rotation. Check all the pulleys.
Also check the tensioner for looseness.

2. Your new belt was too long by your own observation. Take it, along with your old belt back to the store and buy a shorter one.
A new belt should read on the tight side of the tensioner as it will loosen/stretch slightly as it wears in.

3. If you conclude it is the tensioner, change it yourself. It's not hard and it will be a good learning experience for you. You will likely have to buy some tools but they will be worth it.

Working on your own car will improve your skill level and confidence and the ability to tackle other issues in life.
It will also get you off the couch!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty confident it's the tensioner because I did the spray bottle test and the sound disappears when I spray water on the belt for a few seconds then returns and like I said the tensioner looks to be shaking a bit. I'm not lazy trust me only reason I don't want to tackle it is because I don't have time between my night classes and work. Basically if something goes wrong (stripped bolt or stuck bolt- always happens to me) then I'm without a car for college or work. I'll probably give it a shot depending on my schedule. I want it done properly the first time and I want this stupid noise gone asap. thanks again.

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
I don't think you need to disconnect the PS pump lines to swap the tensioner. Just unbolt the PS pump from the tensioner and try to set it aside as much as you can. Also, this will probably take you more than 30 minutes so don't do it when you're pressed for time. You'll just stress yourself out if you're in a rush.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Willy Thanks for the heads up.
I just got quoted for around $250 just for the labor at the dealer so i'll DEFINITELY be doing this myself. How long do you think it would take? I do get frustrated easily with cars and seem to take forever with my "projects". I'll probably only have a maximum of 2 hours to do it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Taking the suction hose off the pump and putting it on the valve cover gets it out of the way, everyone has their own way. It you have the right tools and knowledge it shouldn't take long... Being that I work on these cars everyday I can tell you it takes me around 10 minutes total..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts