Acura TSX Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Replaced mine today also. I recorded it so I'll be putting it on youtube whenever I get a chance. Hopefully it can help someone in the future.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
For anyone interested in replacing the tensioner, this is the tensioner I used:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-38278-Professional-Automatic-Tensioner/dp/B000IZ16Y6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1428100368&sr=8-3&keywords=acura+tsx+belt+tensioner[/ame]

Substantially cheaper than OEM. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Willy,

I just got a new used-car 2008 Acura TSX...I'm hearing noise from the belt-tensioner and Im thinking that only the pulley needs to be removed...do you have any videos/directions on how to remove it?

Btw, do you also know of an Acura auto-parts website where I can find out which brand name is the OEM to different parts?

Thanks,

There's two bolts securing the PS pump to the tensioner, and three more securing the tensioner to the engine. I believe they're all 12 mm. If you are reusing your stock tensioner pulley, you'll probably want to remove the pulley while the tensioner is still mounted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RE: Acura 2008 TSX

Hi,

Which tools are needed for this job?

UPDATE:
Everyone will be happy to know that I just completed the tensioner replacement and the new tensioner has fixed the rattle noise. Took about 1 hour; not too bad. Here's some tips for those looking to do this:

1. The power steering pump should be unbolted to give better access to the tensioner (no need to disconnect hoses in my case)
2. You will need an array of sockets and tools with extensions to make the process easier. And patience!
3. Out of all the bolts holding the P.S. pump and tensioner there is only one that is a b*tch to get on/off and that's the one behind the tensioner pulley so definitely take the tensioneer pulley off first. I can't imagine it being done without this and I had a hard time with a bunch of tool combinations for this. Do this bolt first when putting the new unit in too. All other bolts are rather simple.
4. While taking the tensioner pulley off, make sure you squeeze a finger behind the pulley to hold the nut in place. This will fall off otherwise and is 100% necessary for the pulley operation. You'll have to play around to get the pulley back on w/ the nut because it's a very tight space behind it.

All-in-all I would say it wasn't too difficult. If you can do the belt by yourself, you should be able to tackle this. Just plan ahead and make sure you have the right tools. I can't thank everyone enough on this thread for their input, tips and help!

Anyone feel free to contact me with any questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you buddy...now I need just 2 things :):

1. Do you have any directions/videos of how to remove the pulley itself ?

2. Know of any website where I could find the part numbers and OEM brands to acura vehicles?

Best,

12mm and 14mm sockets, and a ideally a serpentine belt tool (or some longer wrenches if you don't want to buy the tool).
J

·
DC2 to CL9
85 Posts
Thank you buddy...now I need just 2 things :):

1. Do you have any directions/videos of how to remove the pulley itself ?

2. Know of any website where I could find the part numbers and OEM brands to acura vehicles?

Best,

J
You're welcome.

1. There's quite a few on YouTube but here's a good one:
He replaced the entire tensioner assembly that comes with the pulley, but you can use what you learn in the video to get at the part and replace just the pulley. Counter clockwise to reverse the pulley bolt, keeping your finger on the nut or else you'll drop it.

2. Acura Parts | OEM Acura Parts | Factory Acura Parts | OEMAcuraPart or our very awesome sponsor https://heeltoeauto.com/

The tensioner (idler) pulley is 31180-PNA-J01 and the entire tensioner assembly including the pulley is 31170-PNA-023

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I had my Benz, I'd search this parts website (RMeuropean.com) that actually stated the brand used as the OEM part for your vehicle...do you know of that kind of website for Acuras?

Thanks for the video zigenx77 - i'll view it soon.....

41 - 49 of 49 Posts