Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all those years we kept hearing about how the Japan economy was in so much trouble, and the Japanese stock market was tanking, no end in sight.

We haven't heard that for a while. In fact we haven't heard much of anything about Japan for a while.
Except that the Yankees are opening the season there. :D

However I do notice that the Japanese stock market seems to have been soaring for about the past year.

Anybody know what the story is? A soaring stock market doesn't always mean an economy has turned around or is turning around. Often it just means people are EXPECTING that to happen.

But I'll say this: Considering the extent of what's been happening in that stock market, if the country hasn't already started turning around I'd guess it's virtually certain that it will -- and soon.

So....Anybody know about Japan? If they are turning around, how did that happen.
Maybe it's just mainly the overall recovery going on most everywhere.....

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW.....I wanted to put this thread under something like "Regional," but that section only has U.S. and Canada.

Maybe add an "International" forum to that section?
We do already have people from outside U.S. and Canada, and that might help us get more.
Also a thread like this might be better placed there, but certainly either place is fine.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:

So....Anybody know about Japan? If they are turning around, how did that happen.
Maybe it's just mainly the overall recovery going on most everywhere.....
Man, oh man... what a question!!!!

Do you have a few hours? Japanese OTC stocks were selling for below book. In a word, my best guess is "yes", the market is mostly (with some notable exceptions) "washed out" and my other best guess is that western Europe has also turned itself around, unfortunately going the other way. (We in North America could still fall either way. Seriously.) I've been invested in Japan for a few years now and I've had my daughter there, too.

Also, appreciate my fav, Honda. Difficult to believe there had been ANY sort of bear market going on in Tokyo, huh?

So what about Japan as a buy, NOW? :donno:

To quote the late emminent philosopher Will Rogers: "Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it."

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great info as usual, Bob!

Yes, my impression was that it was about a year ago that the Japanese market took off, and it looks like that's exactly right.
But I didn't realize it reached its peak (at least for the moment) a couple of months ago.

Love that Will Rogers quote!

As to whether Japan is a buy now, you're right -- Who knows?

But then again, if truth be told, that ALWAYS the story about ALL markets, at all times. The idea that any market is "safe" at any time, or "a good buy" at any time, is IMO almost totally illusory.

Except to the extent that at some of the more extreme moments, you might have a point if you go AGAINST what seems to be the common-sense thing.

In any event, my humble opinion is it's still a buy.
I've had a Japanese fund since 6 years ago, been holding the whole time, bought more about a year and a half ago.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
I'm "overweight" Asia (not just Japan) but "underweight" Europe.

Now, THIS is a sick looking market! (Love the cars :mardi: but I sure wouldn't want to live there!) OCICBW, etc.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bob shiftright said:
.....Now, THIS is a sick looking market!......
Unless you're a "Contrarian."

Trouble is now there are so many Contrarians it's hard to know which way is which..... :D

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
Unless you're a "Contrarian."

Trouble is now there are so many Contrarians it's hard to know which way is which..... :D
I AM a contrarian about Europe! I think it's even WORSE than most people think!

(OCICBW, etc. etc.)

:naughty:

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
Isn't that true about us too?
Maybe. Maybe not. It could go either way. My crystal ball is pretty cloudy. :confused:

I must need a new one!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update.....well, not really an update because I doubt it's hot off the presses, but I didn't know before.

Japan has turned itself around, or at least its economy is hopping, although nobody is that confident that it's for real, including themselves. Maybe kind of like the Detroit Tigers. :D

According to a column in the NY Times, the main reason is......China! Apparently Japan has expanded its trading with China, and China is snapping up everything that Japan sends over there. In fact, Japan can't send it fast enough. Anything they can send, China buys.

I imagine that the overall global economic recovery has a lot to do with it too, maybe even mostly. (I mean, I think there's sort of a recovery going on......) But the China thing is a huge extra kicker for Japan.

Cliff's Notes....... China:Japan = Ivan Rodriguez: Detroit Tigers :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts