Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every new car I get I drive the first tank bone dry. I just want to know how far I can go after the light comes on and the needle drops below E (I hope E stands for ENOUGH). I've got my AAA card out and waiting to make the call. Hopefully it won't be in the middle of the thruway.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Do a Search, I think Larch Still Holds The Record its really close to 500 miles I belive,

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
>>I just want to know how far I can go after the light comes on

if I remember correctly I think there is 2 gal when the light first comes up

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
marcura02 said:
no way i'm getting 400. I'm at 360 or so and the light is on
You have about 3-3.5 gallons once the light comes on. I've gassed up right when the light came on and it took around 13.7 gallons of the 17 gallon tank.

So whats the point of running your tank dry?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Yeah, Personally I didnt let the TSX get below a half a tank first month I had it, lol I babied the hell out of it would never run it dry

·
Registered
954 Posts
joerockt said:
You have about 3-3.5 gallons once the light comes on. I've gassed up right when the light came on and it took around 13.7 gallons of the 17 gallon tank.

So whats the point of running your tank dry?
I'm guessing that he wants to see how many miles he can get on a full tank before running out of gas completely.

*EDIT: Wasn't that a Seinfeld episode?

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
383 highway/city. AAA brought me my "emergency gas." I then filled it up with 93. Plus I scratched it! I pulled in to far in a parking lot and scratched the bottom front end a bit.

Seinfeld episode where Jerry is looking at Saabs and Kramer take it on test drive. That was silly, this was practical.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
joerockt said:
You have about 3-3.5 gallons once the light comes on.....
That's just about right.

Anyway......I think your experiment is a little flawed, which is an extra reason it doesn't seem worth doing.

I say it's flawed because I think it works out differently at different times, so whatever numbers you get won't always apply.

Firstly, of course, you don't drive the same way all the time and the conditions are different, so the number of extra miles will vary.
But besides that, I've always had the impression that there's some variation in when the warning light comes on -- there can be different amounts of gasoline left when it comes on.

At least that was the case with some previous cars, FOR SURE.
The way I knew this: Very often, the light would come on -- then, as I kept driving it would go OFF, then come on again later.
Or it would go on while I was driving, but not come back on right away the next time I started it up.

My impression was that it depended on the position of the car at the time, especially whether it was tilted uphill or downhill.
I thought it also might depend on the speed of the car and how bumpy the ride was.

What I always envisioned was that it had something to do with the gasoline sloshing around in the tank.

Maybe it doesn't apply to the newer cars, like the TSX.
But regardless, I do have some impression that sometimes the light comes on sooner than other times (i.e. when there's still more gasoline left), but it's more consistent than in most of my previous cars.

P.S. My highest mileage on a tank was 500.7, but that was with "really trying." It looks like I'm headed for a slightly higher number on my current batch.
(This time I'm REALLY trying.) :D
Also.....this depends on getting a super-topped-off fill-up at the start, which I did.
And this is a HUGE variable in your experiment, because you'll never fill your tank exactly the same amount. Never. And the variation can be VERY LARGE.
For example, when the automatic thing shuts off, there's a good 2.5 gallons left,. but with a lot of variation. And how much extra you might get in depends on how patient you are at the time.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
629 Posts
Why not just look at the Trip Computer when the light comes on and see how many miles it has estimated left for you and add that to your total at that point? That way, you're not stuck in no man's land and you still have a very good estimate of how many miles you have left.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
as far as i know i dont have a trip computer. my wifes altima has one and it shows a "DTE" with the mileage. if the trip is part of the navi, i didn't go for navi because i bought one a few months back.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I have AAA and I think its worth it because they offer many other things besides roadside assistance. I can goto a AAA office and get travel information as well as have them book reservations for hotels or certain attractions. Also, get AAA discounts on theme park tickets, car rentals, hotel accomodations, food, etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.