Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 TSX with injen intake and a custom 2 1/4" exhaust running on the stock muffler cans. I am looking to get a header before I get muffler cans (probably skunk2 cans). The exhaust shop ran the 2 1/4" piping all the way to the header and just connected to the stock cans. My question is what is a good header for a decent price, Im not looking to fully build the car just full bolt ons w/ ecu flash. Please help!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im running a PLM header with no issues and is several hundred cheaper then the skunk2. keep in mind these 2 are racing headers so unless you chop them you cannot run a cat. 2 other common choices are comptech and dc headers which bolt right onto the stock cat.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Dont bother getting anything from junk2, they dont use real stainless, at most its only coated. Secondly there just a terrible company to deal with.

Weapon R is probably the best header you can get without spending alot of money. If you need a muffler/resonator, look at vibrant performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lot of people seem to be using the PLM. Not sure if i would get one, I'm thinking more about getting a exhaust shop custom build one for me. But you can always leave you header and go with a high flow cat.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just installed a PLM header last night. It's a good header for the price (I paid $350). Fitment was fine, though the donut gasket that they they supplied didn't fit (had to source my own). Bolted it up to the stock exhaust, and it sounds very nearly stock. Haven't had a chance to get on it yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just installed a PLM header last night. It's a good header for the price (I paid $350). Fitment was fine, though the donut gasket that they they supplied didn't fit (had to source my own). Bolted it up to the stock exhaust, and it sounds very nearly stock. Haven't had a chance to get on it yet.
Let us know if you get that raspy sounds once you open it up. Not sure if this is a common race header issue or if its just certain brands.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Let us know if you get that raspy sounds once you open it up. Not sure if this is a common race header issue or if its just certain brands.

I have the plm header with stock exhaust and there is no raspiness what so ever. I just have a slight hiss but I'm going to weld the test pipe and replace the doughnut gasket to see if that fixes the slight hiss

·
Registered
247 Posts
It has a slight "coarseness" that it sounds like I am hearing from my CAI (?? of all things ??) as if my CAI has gotten a bit raspy, but otherwise it sounds like stock (I was thrilled!!). Idle is the same and freeway is the same...I'd have to have someone do a drive-by to really be certain, but essentially sounds stock to me.

I never really did like the noise of the CAI (Injen), so I plan to sell it and get an Icebox...Hopefully it'll sound nearly stock...

·
Save the manuals!
207 Posts
It has a slight "coarseness" that it sounds like I am hearing from my CAI (?? of all things ??) as if my CAI has gotten a bit raspy, but otherwise it sounds like stock (I was thrilled!!). Idle is the same and freeway is the same...I'd have to have someone do a drive-by to really be certain, but essentially sounds stock to me.

I never really did like the noise of the CAI (Injen), so I plan to sell it and get an Icebox...Hopefully it'll sound nearly stock...

Any butt-dyno results yet? 1blue1.gif

·
Registered
247 Posts
The "coarseness" I described earlier was due to a problem I was having with the donut gasket. Once I corrected this, the car sounds totally stock (I have the stock exhaust). There is a fuller, harmonic sound at WOT, but unless you knew exactly what your car sounded like at WOT, it is not noticeable. No raspiness, no drone. I am VERY pleased with it.

·
Save the manuals!
207 Posts
The "coarseness" I described earlier was due to a problem I was having with the donut gasket. Once I corrected this, the car sounds totally stock (I have the stock exhaust). There is a fuller, harmonic sound at WOT, but unless you knew exactly what your car sounded like at WOT, it is not noticeable. No raspiness, no drone. I am VERY pleased with it.
Great to hear! Any thoughts on power vs stock? Are you cat-less?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
247 Posts
The length of the PLM header eliminates the ability to run a cat (unless someone spends effort to add it downstream of the header, in the intermediate pipe). As far as power increases, it took a few days/weeks, but I began to notice that at WOT the acceleration would surprise me. It definately pulls with less effort than before, i.e. there is a noticable provement in power. Hard to say how much, of course, but I feel it could be as much as 10hp by the butt-dyno...

Once I get the 50° VTC wheel installed, I plan to get FlashPro and that's when I'll get the most out of the header and other mods..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts