Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driver side headlight wouldnt come on sometimes but after smacking it with my hand it would come on or after turning the lights off and back on it would come on. Problem is now that the headlight will not come at all. I have looked at everything checked all wires and it all appears to be good. This is my first car with HIDs so I dont know much about these. What could the culprit be because I am almost positive it is nore than just the bulb.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
check out the ballast..mine burnt out last year. It sucked. The light flickered a couple of times and then burnt out.

Test the bulb first by swapping the bulbs from left to right..bulbs are WAY cheaper than ballasts.

IF you need a ballast, check out ebay or other forums rather than dealers..

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,037 Posts
I think DJ is right, probably a bad ballast just swap the bulbs between both sides to pin point which side is the problem. I've seen a few ballast go bad...

One thing everyone can do to prevent electrical issues from happening on their cars is by simply making sure your battery terminals are clean and upgrade your grounds!!! lol...

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so it is obviously not the bulb. I swapped them out and that is not the problem. So I guess the problem is the ballast. I have looked at ebay and wondering which one to get. I know an oem replacement would be ideal but is this something I canreplace with an aftermarket one.

Thanks again

·
5,036 Posts
Ok so it is obviously not the bulb. I swapped them out and that is not the problem. So I guess the problem is the ballast. I have looked at ebay and wondering which one to get. I know an oem replacement would be ideal but is this something I canreplace with an aftermarket one.

Thanks again
If you look at the OEM ballast and the after market ballast, you'll see that they're both different in design. The OEM ballast was made to fit snugly under the headlight to prevent moisture from coming into the headlight. With an after market ballast, you loose that direct fit and thus you need to find a way to seal up the loose fit from the after market ballast.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I'd go OEM b/c of fitment.

Yours being an 04, I think you have a slightly larger ballast than the 06+..keep an eye on this before buying

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so before I spend the money for this is their something else I should check first or just assume the ballast is bad.

·
5,036 Posts
Ok so before I spend the money for this is their something else I should check first or just assume the ballast is bad.
It might be a lengthy process, but swap left and right ballast?

·
5,036 Posts
Is there a DIY on ballast removal and install
Removing the ballast is simple. Just unscrew obvious screws. But the hard part is that you have to remove the headlight. And in order to remove the headlight you gotta remove the bumper. That's why I said it's a lengthy process.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
^yeah..the chances of it being something else are quite low..I found a ballast for like $110USD shipped and just bought it before taking off my bumper and headlights only to reassemble them till the ballast would arrive

1 - 13 of 13 Posts