Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok check itout the new K series engines have the intakemanifold right behind the radiator...has anyone seena some sort he heat shield for this to keep some of the heat away. i know it would help a great deal to put something inbetween them. i think im gonna try fabricating something. maybe a sheet of aluminum or some thing and have it bolted in place..in between the radiator and engine. what do u guys think?

·
Registered
57 Posts
intake maifolds dont generate nealry as much heat as exhaust manifolds(headers) do thus there is no need to construct any type of heat shield, most of the heat resides near the firewall, one of the positives of the reverse engine placement, that is also the reason that our cars run and operate at lower tempature (if uve noticed) they are also lev 2

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not too worried about the intake manifold generating heat its right behind the radiator which is very hot i want to block the heat from radiator to the intake manifold. see what im gettin at?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ultra_TSX, I agree with you that the intake manifold can get really hot caused by the hot air blowing from the the radiator fan. I used a scantool to monitor the intake air temp when the fan is on and it's very hot! However, I wouldn't use aluminum to made the heatsheild because aluminum abosorbs and retains heat. I would use some type of thermo resisitant plastic instead.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im gonna figure something out let you know and ill take pix when i get something going

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would recommend hooking up an OBD2 scan tool to the diagnostic connector under the driver side dash, and monitor the before and after temp difference (IAT). It's the best way to determine the real efficiency of a heatshield as far as lowering intake temp.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill check it out..but i am thinkin with the hondata gasket that they were talkin about in here and a thermal heat shield i should be able to bring the intake temp down about 40 degrees...that would be optimal. i already know the places where i would need brackets and the shape of the shield.. i just need to find the right material to fabricate it from

1 - 8 of 8 Posts