Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many people have wished for heated mirrors on the TSX. (The Canadian ones have them, but you can't get them down here.)

I'm sure there must be something to them, but I've never understood it. I had them on my prior 2 cars and rarely used the feature, and when I did it wasn't because I really needed it but just because it was "there." I haven't missed it at all on the TSX, not even with the winter we just had which was probably as bad as any winter ever.

I assume it isn't anything about me (for a change) but about where I am.
I would guess that the mirrors just don't fog up in the NY area, for whatever reason.

Do they fog up for anybody around here?
And if not, anybody have any idea why not?

All I know is, if my TSX had the heated feature, I wouldn't have had any reason to use it yet. Just like cruise control. :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
I have heated mirrors on the TL, and have only used them once.
My car is always garaged, so I don't really have a need for them. Not to mention SoCal weather doesn't really warrant them.
The one foggy night that I left my car out (I live at the coast), they did come in handy though.
I guess it really depends on your location, and garage situation if they would benefit you.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
I wished the TSX had heated mirrors. In fact, I would have paid for it if it was an option.

During the past fall/winter, I had numerous occasions where I found the side mirror to have fogged up, frozen over, or drenched in rain droplets. I would have to get out of the car, and clean up both side mirrors before driving off. (Actually, the driver's side I just roll down the windows and do it from the driver's seat). Other days, I would be in a hurry and just start driving away half-blinded (which I think is a serious driving hazard).

Anytime the humidity was relatively high overnight, was raining, or snowing, I would have these problems. Waking up to sub-below temperatures sure didn't help any.

The heated side mirrors certainly would have taken care of the fog, ice, and probably dried up most of the rain water too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
assume it isn't anything about me (for a change) but about where I am.
My CL-S had them and so does my 9-3. Surprising that you said that about location, 'cause I am not that far away from you and during the cold winter days, the heated mirrors come in handy.

I know because when I took my Mom's car (Honda Civic EX cpe) in for service a month or two ago, the mirror did tend to Ice/fog up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In Chicago the heated mirrors are almost a necessity.
My last car had them and I really miss them. I feel deprived. :mad:

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
GRAYTSX said:
In Chicago the heated mirrors are almost a necessity.
My last car had them and I really miss them. I feel deprived. :mad:

Well, you needn't!! Here's what you can do....

Run down to BJ's or your local Price Club, and buy a couple of the little satellite-dish shaped heaters. Install a second battery in your car, and an AC/DC converter. (Note: you may also need a second alternator to keep the new battery replenished, but that won't raise the cost of the mod too much.) Wire an on/off switch into your dash. Use a hammer and chisel to cut a hole for the new switch -- makes your install look smooth and professional.

If you're really good, you can re-write the software on the DVD/nav interface, and use that to control the heaters! But I digress...

Weld the two new heaters to the driver's side and passenger side doors, aimed squarely at your side-view mirrors. Complete a wiring harness to connect each heater to your new battery/converter/alternator assembly. If you like, you can test the installation using a roll or two of duct tape to hold each heater in place prior to welding. Just don't drive too fast during the testing phase.

You may have to slow down some to ensure maximum heat transfer from heater to mirror, but other than that, this will work as well as any factory setup!

You could even weld detachable brackets to the side doors so that you could remove the heaters in the summer time. The possiblities are nearly endless -- just use your imagination, have fun, and most importantly, be safe!

Hope this helps. :hat:

Ferg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ferg said:

Run down to BJ's or your local Price Club, and buy a couple of the little satellite-dish shaped heaters. Install a second battery in your car, and an AC/DC converter. (Note: you may also need a second alternator to keep the new battery replenished, but that won't raise the cost of the mod too much.) Wire an on/off switch into your dash. Use a hammer and chisel to cut a hole for the new switch -- makes your install look smooth and professional.

If you're really good, you can re-write the software on the DVD/nav interface, and use that to control the heaters! But I digress...

Weld the two new heaters to the driver's side and passenger side doors, aimed squarely at your side-view mirrors. Complete a wiring harness to connect each heater to your new battery/converter/alternator assembly. If you like, you can test the installation using a roll or two of duct tape to hold each heater in place prior to welding. Just don't drive too fast during the testing phase.

You may have to slow down some to ensure maximum heat transfer from heater to mirror, but other than that, this will work as well as any factory setup!

You could even weld detachable brackets to the side doors so that you could remove the heaters in the summer time. The possiblities are nearly endless -- just use your imagination, have fun, and most importantly, be safe!

Ferg
Uhh, say whaat? :squint: :jeffy:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you listening, PRB? :D

Our man PRBallard is desperate for heated mirrors.
But I don't know if this is what he had in mind. :D :D :D :D

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Ferg said:

Ferg
LOL, some good stuff. ;)
I lost you after the part about going down to the the BJ's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Larch, thanks for bringing this up. Yes, I would love to get heated mirrors. I had them on my CL and they are on my wife's Outback. We live in a old neighborhood, where building is rescricted. For that reason I may never have a garage.

I used them about every third day between October to May when I had my CL. It is the only feature that the TSX doesn't have that I really miss.

Dan Martin thinks all someone has to do is replace the mirror (glass) on each side, a new switch and plate for the drivers door, and a few wires. Before next Fall gets here or at least Winter I may give it a go, especially if the 05 model has them.

BTW, I was in sunny Florida last week on vacation.

Nice to CYA you guys.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
prballard said:
.......Dan Martin thinks all someone has to do is replace the mirror (glass) on each side, a new switch and plate for the drivers door, and a few wires.....

BTW, I was in sunny Florida last week on vacation.....
Me2 -- we coulda had a meet. :D

Actually I thought Dan was joking, it seemed like such a "Rube Goldberg" thing -- so totally complicated that nobody would ever consider doing it.

Again, proves what I know. :D

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Remember THIS thread?

At first, it looked very promising at $55. But the original poster never got around posting the results. :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am sorry, I should have been more clear with my post. Dan actually posted pages out of the TSX service manual on how to install the mirrors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 05, US version may have them standard. If that is the case we could get the parts from the dealer and may even get them to install them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
does anyone know if the rsx mirrors are the saem size as the tsx mirros becasue the rsx have heated mirrors.

and all we would need from canada is the mirror itself not the complete housing. and no dealer in the us is willing to get them

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
But it looks almost as hard as the Butterfly Ballot!
You mean the one that they're replacing with something that's even easier for the average wizened and demented Floridian to understand - a computer? :)

I also miss my heated mirrors but it occurs to me that it would probably be more cost-effective to sell my labor and use the proceeds to trade the TSX in on a 530i. (Which, if your latest TSX tale is prophetic, may be a good idea anyway.) I plan on wasting my weekend re-hard-wiring the TSX for hidden V-1, police scanner and laser jammer! It's all less harmful than drugs, isn't it?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bob shiftright said:
.....it occurs to me that it would probably be more cost-effective to sell my labor and use the proceeds to trade the TSX in on a 530i. (Which, if your latest TSX tale is prophetic, may be a good idea anyway).....
Not to hijack the thread, but..... :D

Hate to admit it, but I've spent a couple of minutes thinking about it -- what I'd get if I had to quit on my beloved TSX (which my service people seem optimistic about, BTW). The main competitors would be the 530i and (more likely) the Saab 9-5. But despite everything, I think the answer would be.....

Another TSX.

Back on topic.....It's a good point about "selling your labor" vs. doing all that butterfly-ballot work on the TSX mirrors.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
Just wait until they put them on the u.s models and buy it local.

They have them on the rsx now so there's no way they won't add them to the tsx some time soon. imo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts