Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a coolant leak (pics circled in red) which the service manual is calling a 'connecting pipe'. Apparently the o-ring is bad. First, appears that pipe connects to thermostat housing? After that does the connecting pipe pop right out? That's also known as a heater water pipe, right? And being it's leaking would that explain why my heater isn't working all of a sudden? Thanks!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive exhaust
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Car Auto part Automotive tire
Sleeve Font Slope Wire Cable

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok found out it is the heater water pipe and mine was leaking either from the O-ring or a crack in the thermostat housing where it plugs into. (Not sure but I might've cracked T-housing inlet trying to remove pipe). Either way it was leaking good in that area before touching anything so now I'm going to replace heater water pipe (since it has some rust on the end), thermostat housing, and 2 coolant hoses while in there since this is a tough job.

Btw, word of caution to anyone attempting to remove heater water pipe to change o-ring or replace whole pipe. The thermostat housing is plastic and will crack easily if you handle with brute force. Best way IMO is to disconnect it from the other side + remove both bolts first so the pipe has total free movement then carefully wiggle/ work back + forth o-ring side until pipe comes out. On install apply coolant liberally to o-ring so pipe slides in without tearing it. Also, replace bypass inlet hose + throttle body outlet hose while there since you do not want to go in there again if possible.

Note: damaging thermostat housing during water pipe removal will set you back $55 or more for oem part and cheaper aftermarket ones don't look like a good option (according to google searches Dorman part doesn't match our bolts). Also, starter removal appears necessary to get at T-housing top rear bolt and bottom one looks like a pita to get out + reinstall. So take it easy lol!

Parts for this job: ('04 5AT)

Heater water pipe (doesn't include o-ring)
19510-RBB-000

Heater water pipe O-ring
91315-PNA-003

Thermostat Housing (not thermostat)
19320-RAA-A02

Thermostat Housing Seal
19322-PNA-003

Bypass Inlet Hose
19504-RAA-A00

Throttle Body Outlet Hose
19509-RBB-000

Thermostat Housing Bolts