Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 TSX, AT, 45K

long story short, i got rear-ended last month and recently got my car back after a bit of repairs to the backside. feels like the steering is a lot heavier than i remember prior to the accident, particularly during low speeds (turning from a stop, parallel parking). i can't figure out if it's just a mental thing or a mechanical problem, so i'm trying to see what else i can do besides check the following--

-power steering fluid flush: checked last night in the dark. fluid level looks fine, actual fluid might be kinda dark so i will flush the system and put in new fluid.

-serpentine belt tension: checked the belt. tensioner looks ok.

-tire PSI: TPMS says pressure is in the low 30's which is reasonable.

the only other thing i can think of is maybe getting an alignment, and taking it to the stealership to get the steering tested and the power steering system pressured checked. is there anything else i can do on my own aside from checking the piping myself? i'm pretty sure i brought my car in for that power steering hose recall a few years back.

i should note that basically for a month i rented an impala, traverse, and elantra, where at least 2/3 of those cars had REALLY loose steering, so i'm not discounting the fact it might just be a mental thing and i have to get used to the car. my wife drives it even less, but she feels like she has to really work to get the steering wheel to turn, moreso than usual.

thanks.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i have the helms manual. a lot of the list aside from the visual inspections require some specific tools that i just don't have access to. that's why i was just asking if there's anything else to consider besides what i already listed.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
The only spec in an alignment that can create heavy steering is caster. We dont have a caster adjustment, but if you were hit its possible something got bent. Definitely get your alignment checked out, if everything is in check you have two possible options:

1) Driving those other cars threw you off, Hondas typically have slightly heavier wheels. (Personally I like it as you feel more connected to the car.)

2) PS pump is on its way out. Definitely possible but I think driving a rental messed your head up.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only spec in an alignment that can create heavy steering is caster. We dont have a caster adjustment, but if you were hit its possible something got bent. Definitely get your alignment checked out, if everything is in check you have two possible options:

1) Driving those other cars threw you off, Hondas typically have slightly heavier wheels. (Personally I like it as you feel more connected to the car.)

2) PS pump is on its way out. Definitely possible but I think driving a rental messed your head up.
yeah, the chevy traverse steering was super twitchy and light. there was absolutely no connection with the road. you could probably careen into another lane a few feet and not even realize it if you were looking down.

thanks for the input. at the last i'm flushing the PS fluid and i'll call the shop again to see if it's worth checking out. i gotta go back anyways to install a new exhaust once they get it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think you may have just gotten use to the light steering feel of the rental cars. I rented a 2013 ford fusion for 3 days while my car was in the body shop and as soon as I got back into my car I was surprised by how much heavier the steering felt to the point where I thought there was something wrong. And I believe 06-08 tsx have even heavier steering feel compared to 04-05(at least that's what I noticed in the 08 tsx loaner i had previously). I personally really like the heavier more connected to the road feel in the tsx or acura/honda in general. Makes the car feel much more planted to the ground especially at high speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
yeah, the chevy traverse steering was super twitchy and light. there was absolutely no connection with the road. you could probably careen into another lane a few feet and not even realize it if you were looking down.

thanks for the input. at the last i'm flushing the PS fluid and i'll call the shop again to see if it's worth checking out. i gotta go back anyways to install a new exhaust once they get it.
No problem!

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, just wondering if you figured anything out. Did the fluid flush help?
i actually didn't do the flush. after about a week or 2 driving, i just got used to the heaviness. i think it was just all relative since i was driving a chevy traverse and malibu, and a hyundai elantra for rentals.

but i am planning to flush the system when i do my next oil change. i'd say my car is probably overdue for some clean fluids.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.